Blue Front Calipers

Stylesa

Advanced Member
DC5 is booked in next week for some more cosmetic work, was considering getting the calipers done in arctic blue (to match the car). i remember seeing a thread about someone who had done it.... but i've had a quick search and cant find anything relevant.

Having spoken to the guy at the paint shop, he said that the lacquer he would use may not be any use as the heat of the caliper may cause the colour to fade.

Just wondering if people have re-painted and how they went about it.... any info would be good.

p.s. 1000th post....

leejw87

Spoon Whore
I used gunk engine laquer on my calipers from Halfords which is heat resistant but my rocker cover has normal laquer on it from the spray shop and I wouldn't say my brakes get as hot as the engine does

I think normal laquer would be ok as long as your not blasting round a track getting them red hot.

tunwicks

Advanced Member
The blue calipers are on LeeH s car i cant find the link either. His car is CW and it looks brilliant.

Stylesa

Advanced Member
So regular lacquer should do the job then....thats handy..

I'll get them to go for it.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
the brakes will get much hotter than the engine, they will also cool more. your engine cam cover will rarely be any more than 50 or 60 deg C (as you can touch it even when its hot) you would not really want to touch the brake calipers after a spirited drive, if you were doing a trackday they can get to several hundred degrees,

although you can use regular laquer on your calipers (as many inc tgm will) high temp stuff will always last better

leejw87

Spoon Whore
the brakes will get much hotter than the engine, they will also cool more. your engine cam cover will rarely be any more than 50 or 60 deg C (as you can touch it even when its hot) you would not really want to touch the brake calipers after a spirited drive, if you were doing a trackday they can get to several hundred degrees,

although you can use regular laquer on your calipers (as many inc tgm will) high temp stuff will always last better
When i had my Calipers refurbed i was abit worried about the heat, so for a few weeks after having them painted i always checked them to see how hot they were getting, they were fine i could put my hand on them no problem (even after a spirited run) obvoiusly the discs were still red hot but the Calipers were just warm.

If i ever needed to refurb them again due to chips, marks etc i would use normal laquer.

armjoker

Advanced Member
DC5 is booked in next week for some more cosmetic work, was considering getting the calipers done in arctic blue (to match the car). i remember seeing a thread about someone who had done it.... but i've had a quick search and cant find anything relevant.

Having spoken to the guy at the paint shop, he said that the lacquer he would use may not be any use as the heat of the caliper may cause the colour to fade.

Just wondering if people have re-painted and how they went about it.... any info would be good.

p.s. 1000th post....
Thats my car, Here is the link.
http://www.itr-dc5.com/forum/index.php?/topic/21710-my-dc5-photo-session-2nd-page-update/
Its not AB color btw. Its subaru world rally blue 02C code if not mistaking.