Borrowed an FD2 for an hour :)

Shortstuff

Advanced Member
The more i look at FD2s the more i love them over a DC5. I think they are better looking.

I think its because its a more fresher, more modern look? Id even get a filthy white one as I think the black one would be like driving around in a vectra with a spoiler. Would not stand out enough for me.

As soon as Dotty got one, and he started posting all of his sexual pics up, I got more jealous. Ive been thinking in the back of my mind now that in a few years I will need a more practical car so its either the New Civic or the FD2. FD2 looks so much nicer.

Thankfully, many other priorities on the table which should hopefully buy me 5+ years before a more practical car is needed, but its always something I think about.

Great review, sadly this makes me more eager to get one haha.

Thanks

Linus27

Advanced Member
Dotty is in my area and I'm dreading the day I see his FD2 on the road. Must not be tempted by them :)

mil1lion

Advanced Member
Seems like a popular switch from a DC5 to FD2. I haven't seen any of the FD2 over my way (South East) while on my travels, yet I've seen 3 DC5s over the few years I've had mine. The FN2 and EP3 are every where I look though, but of course they're not import only. If I ever plan to get a 4 door I will take a serious look at this.

p1tse

Advanced Member
I'm still too new to the dc5 to liking the step change of the fd2

My first practical car requirement was a 3.2 v6, best sounding exhaust note I've had

But soon outgrew it, and must of had one of most easy life as my wife drove it most of the time and probably didn't go above 3k revs and was a waste of a car to pootle about in, as you just don't go fast with a family on board which lead to this sleeper

TyperItr

Advanced Member
I think I must be I'm the minority here as I have no attraction to it. I think I much prefer the dc5 over it. Maybe if you have a family then yes it's a good choice in my opinion, but bar that I just don't see it.

dave7368

Advanced Member
i know how you feel, i have no attraction to it either, didn't like it when i first seen them here, went to Japan and seen dozens of them there, still didn't like it, i don't see what all the fuss is about..

oh and @ Shortstuff, Vectra's are available in white also ;)

Chewy

Advanced Member
I much prefer the DC5 over the FD2, but It's seen as a step up.

I like to refer to it as the 'Family teg' when my needs outgrow that of the DC5 and I require more then 2 doors, It will be demoted to garage queen/weekend sprinter and I'll have to get the closest thing to it If I'm still enjoying her as much as I am now...That's where the FD2 steps in.

truupR

Advanced Member
Nice write up Dave. Wish I'd of known rossi would of been so open to lending it out otherwise I would of asked him for a quick blast in it when I saw him in Asda the other month lol XD

I've certainly got a soft spot for these FD2's and they're a little more practical having 4 doors. When my teg goes this will certainly be a top contender, assuming that a single turbo supra is out of the question of course :rolleyes:

mark type r

Advanced Member
All I'll say is drive one.

To put it plainly, it's like a modified Teg out the box. Fantastic drive

dave7368

Advanced Member
it's nothing to do with driving one, it will still be fugly when i get out of it and hand the keys back and say no thanks.

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Don't get me wrong Dave I'm not really saying its a step up personally in either the looks or the performance department. If I didn't have a family I'd much rather import a fresh facelift DC5.
Some say the FD2 is the better track car and as said it certainly feels much stiffer than the DC5 but speaking to Rossi whose tracked both, he still thinks the DC5 is still the more capable of the two. He said the extra weight the FD2 carries becomes obvious on track. I think as an every day road car the FD2 will feel the better car because it's already got some of the parts that Dc5 owners have to spend over £2k on. - 5.06 final drive, longer 6th, RRC inlet, better breathing intake, headers and exhaust system as standard, VTEC light system, but it's a bit like comparing an ep3 to a DC5 in that once you level the playing field with the same bolt on parts, in performance terms the gap is much less obvious. Generally power to weight always wins the battle and the DC5 is the lighter car.
If I was just wanting a track Honda I probably wouldn't have either. A K20 swapped EK9 seems to decimate all! Again lighter weight is where it's at. For me it's wanting to keep a K series in my life while thinking of the family is what's sending me this way. Not so much the "step up" as some would say it is.

TyperItr

Advanced Member
I think what you day is right Dave. I can understand the change due to family reasons. I have never driven one and I think any car I have Will be modified so out of the factory does not really mean much to me. I just don't see it ad a dc5 contender family wagon vs coupe really. Different cars for different people I suppose

mil1lion

Advanced Member
Car for car I think if you spent the same money on a DC5 as you would an FD2 (what are they now about 15k?) then the DC5 would surpass it. I also prefer the looks of the DC5 but then I typically prefer the look of a 2 door. I don't dislike the look of the FD2 although I don't like the rear lights. However if you need the extra doors for family reasons the FD2 looks like a great compromise between performance, practicality and economical fuel consumption. Plus you don't have to spend that extra time and money as you would bringing the DC5 in line with the FD2. Time that you may not have with kids.

beppe786

Beppe
i have 2 kids and i hardly use the teg for them.. if i got a fd2 i still wouldn't let them in as they will destroy the inside

some like it some don't.. i'm gonna give it ago.. but gonna be hard letting go of the teggy.. absolutely love my current teg.. and it's not my 1st

might have to keep both!

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Mike.A said:
Car for car I think if you spent the same money on a DC5 as you would an FD2 (what are they now about 15k?) then the DC5 would surpass it. I also prefer the looks of the DC5 but then I typically prefer the look of a 2 door. I don't dislike the look of the FD2 although I don't like the rear lights. However if you need the extra doors for family reasons the FD2 looks like a great compromise between performance, practicality and economical fuel consumption. Plus you don't have to spend that extra time and money as you would bringing the DC5 in line with the FD2. Time that you may not have with kids.
I'm the same Mike. Have always had a soft spot for coupes and whenever you see hatches in a choice of 3 or 5 door I chose the 3 door every time.

I even went as far as saying that people who couldn't be bothered to climb in the back of a 3 door to strap their kids in were just lazy so I'm kind of eating my own words now but with experience I've found that narrow parking bays are a nightmare to try and pass a baby carrier through to the back, squeeze myself in and out etc.

That probably still wouldn't be enough of a reason on its own but what's kind of swung me towards 4 doors is the fact that the baby carrier really doesn't fit well in the rear seats. The belts seem slightly to short any they also seem to lock out all the time? Only way of unlocking them is to let them reel right back in. Sometimes it take 2 or 3 attempts before it stops locking out. Very irritating!!!

Obviously the FD is also a newer car and I'll be looking for a perfect example so it doesn't need the time and effort the DC5 has taken to get it to what it is now.

dotty

Advanced Member
davidpingu said:
Don't get me wrong Dave I'm not really saying its a step up personally in either the looks or the performance department. If I didn't have a family I'd much rather import a fresh facelift DC5.
Some say the FD2 is the better track car and as said it certainly feels much stiffer than the DC5 but speaking to Rossi whose tracked both, he still thinks the DC5 is still the more capable of the two. He said the extra weight the FD2 carries becomes obvious on track. I think as an every day road car the FD2 will feel the better car because it's already got some of the parts that Dc5 owners have to spend over £2k on. - 5.06 final drive, longer 6th, RRC inlet, better breathing intake, headers and exhaust system as standard, VTEC light system, but it's a bit like comparing an ep3 to a DC5 in that once you level the playing field with the same bolt on parts, in performance terms the gap is much less obvious. Generally power to weight always wins the battle and the DC5 is the lighter car.
If I was just wanting a track Honda I probably wouldn't have either. A K20 swapped EK9 seems to decimate all! Again lighter weight is where it's at. For me it's wanting to keep a K series in my life while thinking of the family is what's sending me this way. Not so much the "step up" as some would say it is.
Better cams and shorter 1-3, there's no doubt about it for me, I will better my Nürburgring laptime ! Also worth noting Tgm now use an FD2 as their race car. I'm not denying the DC5 is capable as I know it is but having hopped out of one and in to an FD2 , I can tell the FD2 will be quicker on a circuit, well it'll certainly inspire more confidence that's for sure. It might not look as pretty parked up at south mimms though :lol:

Take a look at my dyno today, it's the best K20 engine you can get ;)

integraleo

Advanced Member
People keep going on about 4 doors and family friendly as the main reason for getting one. Save yourself several thousand pounds and get the accord euro r instead if that's all you want. K20 4 door and rare enough too. I think if I buy one in a few years I would still need to charge it.

Mebz

Advanced Member
Best motoring vids show the fd2 as being a second a lap quicker than a dc5 at tsukuba. That's only a short track.

dotty

Advanced Member
Mebz said:
Best motoring vids show the fd2 as being a second a lap quicker than a dc5 at tsukuba. That's only a short track.
Quicker than an Evo6, R34 and a few others too. It's not to be under estimated. I've had 9 Type R cars now and I can spot the progression with each model. DC5 over EP3 was noticeable , FD2 over DC5 noticeable again.