Borrowed an FD2 for an hour :)

hondaft

Advanced Member
Yeh I bumped into the guy about a year ago and when he seen I had a dc5 he pulled in and we had a wee chat. He seemed like a really nice genuine guy

dotty

Advanced Member

Had an airfield trackway yesterday. Suffice to say and as expected the FD2 was formidable , it was dry then wet then dry and the thing remained planted !!

More stable at the rear than my Teg was and felt just as nimble.

Had to retire at lunch time as I noticed a slight bulge in the front offside tyre, new one to be ordered this week.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Hey guys,

Before I go any further yes I've read this thread and multiple threads. I'm doing a lot of reading on FD2's and the FK2 as the Teg will likely be up for sale at some point soon, or when we get a house.

I've private messaged a few owners who've had both the DC5 and the FD2 to guage feedback as at the moment, I'm swaying towards an FD2 as my next car.

My question is around the suspension setup which I believe is very hard but also supposed to be a vast improvement on the DC5, well at the rear with its independent multi-link setup anyway. The front suspension I believe are quite similar but happy to be corrected on this.

I have quite a heavily modified DC5 which I'm just unsure about at the moment. It's a pretty harsh ride which I can tolerate as I don't do lots of miles and I quite like a stiff ride, but what annoys me with it is that it moves around a lot; it seems to follow the contours of the road all the time whether that's the diff or how the car is setup I don't know. I don't want to sell and get an FD2 only to find it feels exactly the same.

The plan with an FD2 is to leave the suspension as OEM apart from change the rear dampers to Koni's but apart from that, it wouldn't be tinkered with. It's either that or spend a bit more money on mine and try and get the handling improved but that is going to be expensive. I've learnt a lot about the car on track this last year and that is the suspension setup definetely needs to be better and is an area for definite improvement. Obviously I've never driven an FD2 but it seems to be a better car, stronger and more stable under speed and braking and out of the box the OEM suspension seems to be a lot better than the DC5.

Can anyone share their thoughts on what they think I should do going forward as it will help me to make a decision on whether to keep the car or not. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

daniel-cmyk

Crazylegs said:
Hey guys,

Before I go any further yes I've read this thread and multiple threads. I'm doing a lot of reading on FD2's and the FK2 as the Teg will likely be up for sale at some point soon, or when we get a house.

I've private messaged a few owners who've had both the DC5 and the FD2 to guage feedback as at the moment, I'm swaying towards an FD2 as my next car.

My question is around the suspension setup which I believe is very hard but also supposed to be a vast improvement on the DC5, well at the rear with its independent multi-link setup anyway. The front suspension I believe are quite similar but happy to be corrected on this.

I have quite a heavily modified DC5 which I'm just unsure about at the moment. It's a pretty harsh ride which I can tolerate as I don't do lots of miles and I quite like a stiff ride, but what annoys me with it is that it moves around a lot; it seems to follow the contours of the road all the time whether that's the diff or how the car is setup I don't know. I don't want to sell and get an FD2 only to find it feels exactly the same.

The plan with an FD2 is to leave the suspension as OEM apart from change the rear dampers to Koni's but apart from that, it wouldn't be tinkered with. It's either that or spend a bit more money on mine and try and get the handling improved but that is going to be expensive. I've learnt a lot about the car on track this last year and that is the suspension setup definetely needs to be better and is an area for definite improvement. Obviously I've never driven an FD2 but it seems to be a better car, stronger and more stable under speed and braking and out of the box the OEM suspension seems to be a lot better than the DC5.

Can anyone share their thoughts on what they think I should do going forward as it will help me to make a decision on whether to keep the car or not. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
I'm not a FD2 owner (DC5 Owner) but I was looking at a FD2 before the DC5.

The biggest reason why I didn't go for one was that after research, the drive was apparently real harsh and crashy for the UK roads. They're supposed to be like 50% more rigid than a DC5.

So yeah, they are amazing for handling etc BUT and a massive BUT, they're supposed to be very crashy for UK roads. Most people get Koni Coilovers I think to reduce it.

I'd actually like to know from someone who has owned both as well as it maybe a future purchase for when a baby possibly comes along.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
ddc5 said:
I'm not a FD2 owner (DC5 Owner) but I was looking at a FD2 before the DC5.

The biggest reason why I didn't go for one was that after research, the drive was apparently real harsh and crashy for the UK roads. They're supposed to be like 50% more rigid than a DC5.

So yeah, they are amazing for handling etc BUT and a massive BUT, they're supposed to be very crashy for UK roads. Most people get Koni Coilovers I think to reduce it.

I'd actually like to know from someone who has owned both as well as it maybe a future purchase for when a baby possibly comes along.
I think the 50% extra rigidity I might actually like. I can take a stiff hard ride so long as it doesn't absolutely bust my boll*cks all of the time, the main thing for me is that it feels planted and glued to the road.

The Teg feels twitchy as though it doesn't feel tight enough to the floor, that's the only way I can explain it. I need to drive an FD2 really and get a feel for one but no one has one near me so this is impossible pretty much.

Mark_teg

Staff member
As I understand it, the 50% extra rigidity is referring to the chassis (as in bodyshell). Though, the suspension is also very firm and most of this is due to the rear dampers which most people replace with Koni adjustable yellows - there is no front equivalent unfortunately, only coilovers.
The front suspension is a revised design - the track rod ends steer the hubs on the fd2, whereas they connect to the struts on the dc5. The dampers are also made by Showa.

Marc, could you not visit Torque GT (or similar) when they have stock and see if it's for you

ste01

Advanced Member
^^ what Mark said. Go somewhere to drive one.

I personally think they are very similar to a DC5 so think you'd have the same twitchy feel you don't like.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Mark_teg said:
As I understand it, the 50% extra rigidity is referring to the chassis (as in bodyshell). Though, the suspension is also very firm and most of this is due to the rear dampers which most people replace with Koni adjustable yellows - there is no front equivalent unfortunately, only coilovers.
The front suspension is a revised design - the track rod ends steer the hubs on the fd2, whereas they connect to the struts on the dc5. The dampers are also made by Showa.

Marc, could you not visit Torque GT (or similar) when they have stock and see if it's for you
Thanks Mark, yes that's how I understand it as well in that the bodyshell although a tad heavier than a DC5 is actually 50% stiffer and more rigid.

Wasn't aware re the front suspension, I thought thhey were a similar design as the Teg. So is that a different suspension to the Macpherson strut then? Also wasn't aware the dampers were made by Showa either. Do you bounce around a lot in the car Mark with the suspension as it is?

Unfortuntaely Torque GT are miles away from me, I'm in North Wales Mark so it's a case of trying to find one closer to home but there are hardly any about near me. I think when I'm 100% in a position to get one I will travel a bit to test one and an FK2 and make a decision from there.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
ste01 said:
^^ what Mark said. Go somewhere to drive one.

I personally think they are very similar to a DC5 so think you'd have the same twitchy feel you don't like.
Cheers Ste, have you driven one yourself then mate?

I've obviously not driven one at all but I think based on the reading I've done so far, they appear to be more planted with a better diff than that found in the Teg.

The rear end also seems to be a lot more stable, wether that's just on track and not the road though is a different matter. VTEC Direct that do my car absolutely love the FD2, he says they're a fantastic car and probably the best Type R they've made but my concern is like you said above; I'd be going like for like in a way which I really don't want to do.

Until I actually drive one it's going to be difficult for me to make a decision I think.

ste01

Advanced Member
Torque GT might be far away but it's worth a trip to talk to them. Its a fair drive for me from Stockport but its a nice run out in the teg and the cars they have there are always nice to have a look at.

Yeah I've driven an FD2, I did consider one before I got another teg. To me it just felt like an FN2, with the hard suspension of a DC5. It feels newer with the drive by wire and dash set up like the FN2 does, but for the ride and engine feel it felt more like the DC5. It wasn't my car so I didn't thrash it so couldn't comment on driving near its limit.

They are nice cars, I just prefer a coupe and the old style steering and throttle feel of an Integra.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Thanks for the feedback Ste, I know Indi said he didn't enjoy the drive by wire and was one of the reasons he came back to a DC5.

I do like the throttle response from the Integra, it's one of the favourite things about it. I've never driven a car with drive by wire so can't comment on it.

I'll hopefully find one nearer to home to drive as Devon is too far for me to travel to unless I'm in a position to buy. Nothing will be happening until my fiancee and I find our own place as I should know at that point whether I can afford a loan to get one.

Thanks again mate for your help and advice.