Brands Hatch 10/07/2018 Incar footage

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Hi all here are the video's from my most recent trackday at Brands Hatch (with the new clutch, flywheel and RM01A fitted finally :)

Met a guy I've stayed in touch with as all day long we were having battles (my DC5 vs his tuned M4), he has a 7 map thing under the bonnet,he was annoyed on maps 1-3 as couldn't touch the DC5 but map 6 (his max one he has avail for use offers circa 560hp and circa 620lbs ft torque). Two tanks of fuel but possibly the most fun I have ever had on track to date (not just in the DC5 as this is only the 2nd time I have used the car on track but any car I have had in the past). Enjoy...

Last edited:

bxlheathsupra

Advanced Member
Watched some of your footage.. i was comparing your laps to my recent track day there. I was at best getting 1:04 you were getting 1:02s on some of laps i watched.
Your top speed on main straight seemed to be lower then what i was getting so you must be cornering alot faster then me.
But i had all four tyres screeching at druida and clearways so i wasnt exactly holding back.. just dont know where i was going wrong!

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Watched some of your footage.. i was comparing your laps to my recent track day there. I was at best getting 1:04 you were getting 1:02s on some of laps i watched.
Your top speed on main straight seemed to be lower then what i was getting so you must be cornering alot faster then me.
But i had all four tyres screeching at druida and clearways so i wasnt exactly holding back.. just dont know where i was going wrong!
My fastest on the day was 56 and my average was 58 with a few slower sessions with my mate in the car adding about 120kgs lol :)

The top speed I got down the home straight was around 115mph but my cornering speeds are what was annoying everyone, there is a video on youtube filmed in Melvin (a guy I met's MRS running a 2ZZ engine or something, at 10mins in you see my friends M4 fly by on the straight, followed by me and if you watch a few mins more you see the speeds we carry and how close it gets on the bends at times, the M4 had to ramp up his power to have a chance as he was getting annoyed with me exiting so fast and taking him, were now good mates and booking a few more days up together :)

carl hammond

Advanced Member
bxlyheathsupra said:
What suspenaion and tyre setup was you running on track?
Current spec

Engine

Standard PBC inlet manifold
DC Sport Racing Manifold
AEM CAI - long arm V2 (in the bumper)
Fujitsibu RM01A (Catback system)
Clockwise drop on baffled sump
OEM Honda Clutch
RTS Lightened flywheel
K100 mapped by Romain

Suspension Setup

Mugen Showa Shocks
Spoon Progressive Springs
Oem Geo (no adjustable camber arms or bolts fitted yet)

Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

OEM Honda Wheels
225/45/17 AD08R Tyres all round
OEM Honda Discs (front & rear)
Dixel ES Pads (front & rear)
HEL Braided Brake Lines
Motul RBF 660 Fluid

The car is I believe in need of a power run and remap but the last time (before fitting the rm01a) it got 226bhp.

That‘s it mate, nothing out of this world, funky or massive amounts spent trying to spruce it up just sensible. No number chasing or big expensive power changes (eg rbc or rrc which imo are a waste of money unless you get them silly silly cheap) as the gains per £ are minimal and more than likely unnoticeable on track (seat time is the way forward, this was only my second trackday ever on he dc5 so I‘m still learning this car, I was faster in my DC2)...

bxlheathsupra

Advanced Member
Thas mad.. you must have balls of steel haha.. i was tentative round paddock hill and graham hill i jist hope if i get more time on track i could feel comfortable pushing as hard as you must of been. Will have to try and come along when your next out on track

carl hammond

Advanced Member
bxlyheathsupra said:
Thas mad.. you must have balls of steel haha.. i was tentative round paddock hill and graham hill i jist hope if i get more time on track i could feel comfortable pushing as hard as you must of been. Will have to try and come along when your next out on track
Lol I am tame in this vs my old DC2, I am still not confident in the DC5 as it's got full interior etc, no harnesses and so on. Next year I should be fitting a cage, seats, harnesses and poss the Bilsteins, camber arms, camber bolts etc that I have sitting in the loft.

This however is why I don't get people questioning my setup, it shows and speaks for itself as I know I am pushing hard but not 100% hard and I know both myself and the car have a lot more to go as I know I have lost a lot of bottle since the DC2 days as I am now much older lol...

bxlheathsupra

Advanced Member
Thats why im impressed.. im running a gruppe m 70mm throttle body, rbc, toda cams, solid fabs full system inc manifold, meister coilovers, fully super pro bushed, bridge stone re070 tyres ferrodo ds3000 brakes on ap racing floating disks yet you are smashing my time but like 6 seconds or more! Definatley a bravery/skill thing extracting the most out of your car

carl hammond

Advanced Member
bxlyheathsupra said:
Thats why im impressed.. im running a gruppe m 70mm throttle body, rbc, toda cams, solid fabs full system inc manifold, meister coilovers, fully super pro bushed, bridge stone re070 tyres ferrodo ds3000 brakes on ap racing floating disks yet you are smashing my time but like 6 seconds or more! Definatley a bravery/skill thing extracting the most out of your car
Hi mate, a lot of the engine mods there will make a nice difference on paper and dyno's etc but no real difference in the real world. one thing holding you back there is the tyres I would say, AD08R's in this heat on track are superb.

I have had similar discussions a number of times throughout my car history over the past 22yrs, I am very specific with mods and changes now due to going too far with a three of my cars:

1000bhp R33 GTR V-Spec running an R34 Nur Spec 2 engine
400WHP Nissan Pulsar GTI-R
352WHP Lancia Hill Climb Race Car

All of these went way too far imo and I regretted ruining them and making them un-usable, I then went back to more stock cars with tasteful changes and certain upgrades only and the outcomes have been better for me to not only enjoy the cars but to also learn them and get more better seat time which is the key to everything. The more you use the car on track the more confidence you'll get with it, I at present don't think I am at the cars or my limit for my setup but have future proofed it with many more parts just sitting in boxes waiting for the time I want and need them.

My track time over the coming months will be rather limited as it's my daughters 16th next week (expensive time) and also I am off on holiday again mid Sept but your more than welcome to come along to the next session mate and we can take both car's out and see how the feel etc.

At both trackdays so far I have had a lot of people comment on the cars capabilities but honestly I have steered away from making too many changes, I change something, test it, get a feel for it and then decide on the next change. Certain things like the Bilstein B16's I brought just for the sake of it tbh.

Are you available on weekdays as I can then look to see when I can get a session booked up next (need to pay my holiday off in a few days) and more off of my LA and Vegas trip also :-(

I don't think we are miles apart which is handy as I am near Maidstone in Kent :)

Last edited:

bxlheathsupra

Advanced Member
Yea im just in bexley so not to far away. Ok keep me posted on your track plans and i will see if i can either join in or come along to say hi

carl hammond

Advanced Member
bxlyheathsupra said:
Yea im just in bexley so not to far away. Ok keep me posted on your track plans and i will see if i can either join in or come along to say hi
Will do mate, I am hoping to get on at some point in Aug but depends on funds, else will be late Sept or Oct now (aimed for tow a month but also looking to sell up and move house and so trying to be a bit more sensible which is why the seats and cage etc have to wait) :-(

On the other hand I hardly ever use the car (not driven it since the trackday) so if you ever fancy a quick meet somewhere I can arrange something mate

Also forgot to ask, where did you get the Toda Cams from and have you noticed any difference as Cam's is one thing I have considered but wasn't really sure on the benefits in a DC5. Other car's I have really noticed it but ideally I want the car to rev more not quicker if that makes sense.

dc5ian

Advanced Member
i very much doubt you are doing brands in 56 seconds, not on standard dics and a soft coilover.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
dc5ian said:
i very much doubt you are doing brands in 56 seconds, not on standard dics and a soft coilover.
I never said doing I said “My fastest on the day was 56 and my average was 58” but this is with my friend using his stopwatch as data logging isn‘t permitted (so like with anything is to be taken lightly)

But ok feel free to think what you like, Seat time and experience is more important than anything when on track.

Anyone can drive a fast car but not anyone can drive a car fast... Please rememver ive been driving this track in road and race cars since I was 18

dc5ian

Advanced Member
well done your only 2 seconds off Robert Burkinshaw time attack record in hes dc5.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
dc5ian said:
well done your only 2 seconds off Robert Burkinshaw time attack record in hes dc5.
Not necessarily as that‘s with official data logging and as I said

“this is with my friend using his stopwatch as data logging isn‘t permitted (so like with anything is to be taken lightly)”

Do you just spam posts for the sake of it recently as all you seem to do it pointless opinionated comments that add no value.

Also a friend Manoj who races an ep3 in the tin top challenge got the below

Qualified 8th at Brands on a 56.5, finished 7th with best lap of 55.8

Please remember my session was near empty, these guys times are with traffic in the way (so times cannot be compared between races and trackdays)

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Kevin85 said:
Which session in the 56 second lap in?
No idea as I don‘t film everything as no time to keep playing with cameras and not even watched them all myself yet. Not one to sit and assess every clip, just had my mate using his stopwatch and made videos For enjoyment reasons and memories...

I will stop sharing them going forward

dc5ian

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
Not necessarily as that‘s with official data logging and as I said

“this is with my friend using his stopwatch as data logging isn‘t permitted (so like with anything is to be taken lightly)”

Do you just spam posts for the sake of it recently as all you seem to do it pointless opinionated comments that add no value.

Also a friend Manoj who races an ep3 in the tin top challenge got the below

Qualified 8th at Brands on a 56.5, finished 7th with best lap of 55.8

Please remember my session was near empty, these guys times are with traffic in the way (so times cannot be compared between races and trackdays)
all i said is well done, anything under 60 seconds at brands is quick, also Robert Burkinshaw dc5 lap record was during time attack so just a race against the clock.

Kevin85

Advanced Member
ok? I just wanted to compare, as I do review my footage and my quickest is 56.0. It's a good way to see where I can be faster.

fyi, using a stopwatch is also very not allowed.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Kevin85 said:
ok? I just wanted to compare, as I do review my footage and my quickest is 56.0. It's a good way to see where I can be faster.

fyi, using a stopwatch is also very not allowed.
Yeah I know this and why I said times also need to be taken with a pinch of salt so to speak. As that could even up to a few seconds off. But as you know (and as I do) seat time is what matters and I‘ve been doing Brands for about 22 yrs in cars from my Rs turbos up to my Gtr‘s so am familiar with the layout. Just need more confidence and as I get older I‘m loosing balls in places on track for fear of crashing which over never had when I was younger.