Brands Hatch 10/07/2018 Incar footage

bxlheathsupra

Advanced Member
Hi.. the bulk of the engine mods were on the car when i got it.. welcome to have a go in mine and see how it feels against yours.. i have never driven a stock dc5 so dont know if i ha e improved or ruined the car haha

carl hammond

Advanced Member
bxlyheathsupra said:
Hi.. the bulk of the engine mods were on the car when i got it.. welcome to have a go in mine and see how it feels against yours.. i have never driven a stock dc5 so dont know if i ha e improved or ruined the car haha
As long as you like how it drives and feels it's not ruined imo mate. There are far too many opinionated people now in the car scene and they all seem to believe they know best and the internets the god of truth no matter what. Everyone's driving style differs and everyone has, wants and needs different things from their cars so if yours meets your needs, brings you the smiles and satisfaction you need and want from it then it's all that matters. Too many people seem to get hung up on things because a, b, c said so and so it must be right...

Like yours the bulk of the engine mods/performance mods were already on my car also when I got it, the K100, Full DC system (mani and cat back) and the aem, the only change to these parts I have made was to remove the catback DC and replaced it with an RM01A to bring the noise and weight down as I am trying to not change the car too much due to going too far with a number of cars in the past which actually for me ruined them. My Lancia was built for hill climb racing (was sold to a guy who carried on using it at goodwood for exactly that), my Pulsar was built as a monster track car, someone wrote that off. My second and the highly tuned R33 GTR was written off within two weeks of selling it as it was too powerful for the new owner who didn't listen to me about taking it easy and learning the car :-(...

Do you still have your Supra?

bxlheathsupra

Advanced Member
No sold the supra about 11 yeara ago.. have had a few cars since then but finally got back into a fun again with the dc5.
Mine had a mugen exhaust and toda manifold but like you i wanted a bit less noise and the ease of mot so had the solid fab system made up. Last year i found all my bushes were worn so i had the super pro bushes done and meisters fitted. I like how the car goes and like you feel that i am not ising the cars full potential. Thats why i watched your videos to get an idea on your lap times etc to see how u was doin compared to me. But you made it look effortless i felt like i was wringing the cars neck on most of the track

carl hammond

Advanced Member
No sold the supra about 11 yeara ago.. have had a few cars since then but finally got back into a fun again with the dc5.
Mine had a mugen exhaust and toda manifold but like you i wanted a bit less noise and the ease of mot so had the solid fab system made up. Last year i found all my bushes were worn so i had the super pro bushes done and meisters fitted. I like how the car goes and like you feel that i am not ising the cars full potential. Thats why i watched your videos to get an idea on your lap times etc to see how u was doin compared to me. But you made it look effortless i felt like i was wringing the cars neck on most of the track
Do you ever regret selling the supra? That and an RX7 are two cars I have driven a number of times but never actually owned and regret not buying now. At the time my friend had an NA1 NSX-R, an NA2 NSX as well as a track DC2, Ek9 and DC5. He is the one who got me into Honda‘s but it took me years to buy one and I have only ever had the DC2 96 Spec and this DC5. I ended up wanting an NSX badly but the deals fell through on the two I tried buying (but it‘s still on the cards when I have sold up and moved houses (although the GF prefers and wants me to get an R35 GTR)).

I love the Supra's, if you're of a similar age I wonder if you know Phil Duley and/or Christian Doran, both ex Supra owners, Phil had a Red UK one and Christian went for a custom built engine by Top Secret Japan. It was black with Top Secret Japan stickers over the bonnet onto the wing (this was back in 1999-2001).
I ended up going a different route and instead decided to buy an Integrale and my first R33 GTR ages 21. The GTR for the road and the Integrale I had fully built as a hill climb race car.
Sorry for removing the links, hope you understand why I did but happy to share them or future ones with you in future as I won‘t be making them public again or at least in the near future.
I think the making it look effortless is mainly down to experience, Brands is my local track and I have been driving it since I was 21 in countless cars of all spec‘s, trackdays used to be a lot cheaper than today and there were many more around when I was growing up (especially airfield days).

I am very new to the DC5 on track as that was only my second time out in it and having only driven about 5K miles in it over 2 yrs of ownership I am still learning the car so am glad the videos looked ok at least, I know both it and I have a lot more to go...

bxlheathsupra

Advanced Member
I do regret selling the supra.. i was 24 when i got it had it running roughly 400bhp sold ot as i need to free up some funds for work on my house. Sold it and bought a 16i crx. Took that out on brands for a blast and was so much fun. Then kida came along and i went through a mazda 323,civoc ek 1.4, alfa 155, toyota yaris tsport, ep3, civic hyrbid civic diesel and now finally in the dc5. Before buyi g the dc5 i was toying with the idea of a supra again but i found the supra was too fast to make the most of daily whereas the dc5 can have a blast and puts a smile on my face all the time.
I dont regret the dc5 over the supra one bit. Yes the supra in a straight line would destroy the dc5 and in all honesty did corner well too but was as chuckable and fun.
I was on the supra owners club but didnt get to many meets back then.
A friend of mine has 2 nsx. A facelift and pre facelift he likes different elements of each says they each have their own charecteristics

carl hammond

Advanced Member
I do regret selling the supra.. i was 24 when i got it had it running roughly 400bhp sold ot as i need to free up some funds for work on my house. Sold it and bought a 16i crx. Took that out on brands for a blast and was so much fun. Then kida came along and i went through a mazda 323,civoc ek 1.4, alfa 155, toyota yaris tsport, ep3, civic hyrbid civic diesel and now finally in the dc5. Before buyi g the dc5 i was toying with the idea of a supra again but i found the supra was too fast to make the most of daily whereas the dc5 can have a blast and puts a smile on my face all the time.
I dont regret the dc5 over the supra one bit. Yes the supra in a straight line would destroy the dc5 and in all honesty did corner well too but was as chuckable and fun.
I was on the supra owners club but didnt get to many meets back then.
A friend of mine has 2 nsx. A facelift and pre facelift he likes different elements of each says they each have their own charecteristics
Yeah agreed mate the DC5 is a very capable and chuckable car, supra's handle great but I think I would always worry about the grip grip grip, gone factor as I have seen they can snap so to speak. But saying that Pulsar GTI-R's are similar lol. I sold the Lancia and my first GTR when my daughter was born also, needs must and all that lol.

I have only ever driven the NA1 NSX-R and a normal NA2 so can't compare them really but the NSX-R is on another level, people can say what they like about them but until you have the chance to drive one and regularly as I did then it's quite hard to explain.

The NA2 was/is an amazing machine, I think for me one of the cars I regret buying was an EVO 6, did nothing for me tbh and my heads still set on an NSX but not sure I can justify the cost on an NA1 now...

bxlheathsupra

Advanced Member
I drove the na2 and it was like a go kart with an awesome sounding engine!.. didnt really get to push it but could tell it was capable.
Becoming real expensive now as are supras.. i sold mine for 5.5k 70k on the clock now you looking at more like 20k

carl hammond

Advanced Member
I drove the na2 and it was like a go kart with an awesome sounding engine!.. didnt really get to push it but could tell it was capable.
Becoming real expensive now as are supras.. i sold mine for 5.5k 70k on the clock now you looking at more like 20k
Yeah I know what you mean, annoyingly R33's (the least desirable) are silly money now also, I sold mine for just under 16K and saw a very similar spec'd one (about 00bhp less than mine had) and cheap wheels and a few other bits and it was up for just under 74K ffs...

I doubt it will sell for that but bearing in mind the money spent on it vs those selling for £20-30K now I have no doubt in my mind it will sell for circa 40K ish to the right person...

Oh if only I knew, but I said that to my mate who had the NSX-R lol, sold that for under 40K, now you can't get one for under £150K

bxlheathsupra

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
Yeah I know what you mean, annoyingly R33's (the least desirable) are silly money now also, I sold mine for just under 16K and saw a very similar spec'd one (about 00bhp less than mine had) and cheap wheels and a few other bits and it was up for just under 74K ffs...I doubt it will sell for that but bearing in mind the money spent on it vs those selling for £20-30K now I have no doubt in my mind it will sell for circa 40K ish to the right person...Oh if only I knew, but I said that to my mate who had the NSX-R lol, sold that for under 40K, now you can't get one for under £150K
Its crazy.. i plan to have the dc5 fully resprayed once im done on track to help preserve its value incase it goes the way of a collectors car in the future. Mechanically it needs for nothing just needs some cosmetic care!

I have never been in a skyline of any shape always had contemplated a r34 but they were always a 25k car... now the cheapest os about 60k

nails

Advanced Member
Sorry to de-rail the thread a bit, but as Skylines have been mentioned, does anyone know anything about the R33 GTS 25T. The one with 250bhp as standard (although I doubt there are any standard ones around haha). They seem to be in a similar price bracket to a DC5.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Its crazy.. i plan to have the dc5 fully resprayed once im done on track to help preserve its value incase it goes the way of a collectors car in the future. Mechanically it needs for nothing just needs some cosmetic care!

I have never been in a skyline of any shape always had contemplated a r34 but they were always a 25k car... now the cheapest os about 60k
I had mine fully repainted last year knowing that it would only need minimal touch-ups going forward but if I go the way I plan it will only be used on track anyway (unless I buy something else for track use only and just store this), all depends on the space at the next property lol

Yeah the R34 GTR is the one for me tbh, I have driven R32's, 33's and 35's but never a 34 unfortunately, been in them but not driven one and for me they are the best all-rounder, the 32 gtr is the best/original Godzilla so to speak and its power to weight is better, the 33 I got the first one as I'd never seen one and as a fresh import in 2001 it was only 3yrs old and so rarely seen on the uk roads I just had to have it. DC5's I think will be like the DC2's small increases but nothing dramatic, but you never know, depends on the supply and demand going forward

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Sorry to de-rail the thread a bit, but as Skylines have been mentioned, does anyone know anything about the R33 GTS 25T. The one with 250bhp as standard (although I doubt there are any standard ones around haha). They seem to be in a similar price bracket to a DC5.
What do you want to know mate?

bxlheathsupra

Advanced Member
You that dc2s have gone up crazy amounts recently. They were getting down to like 3k but now seem to be sitting arojnd 7k upwards for anything decent.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
You that dc2s have gone up crazy amounts recently. They were getting down to like 3k but now seem to be sitting arojnd 7k upwards for anything decent.
Yeah good ones are fetching good money, but saying that I sold mine many many years ago and got over 7K for it and a car in part ex :)

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Whats your preference dc2 or dc5?
Want the honest answer? depends on the requirements of the car but DC2 is track focussed. My 96 Spec was the lightweight delete option one, nothing apart from Aircon was ticked as an option, no clock, no stereo nothing. I ended up fitting both from my mates DC2 as he stripped it as a race car and I was using mine on both track and road, but for track only I would go DC2. I only sold mine as I was doing too many miles on the motorway (150 a day too and from my ex's) and 90% of that was motorway (M25) from home near Maidstone in kent to Windsor where she lived...

For mixed use, then DC5 all day long, but now I am a bit older I am happy with compromise on track also and so will use the DC5 anyway.

The DC2 is out the box a far superior car, a lot smaller, lighter and more focussed but mine rev'd to 10K and was one I found in Japan and imported myself and was a one owner from new under 40K on the clock car so mint and well cared for. The only thing we found was it was apparently stock but when we got it on the rolling road it happily rev'd to 10K and pulled very good numbers for a stock car lol (talking 20+ more hp than tuned cars here) so I have no idea what had been done to it internally.

I'll whatsapp you later
Cool mate no problem

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Could have had a forged JUN engine or some other Jap tuner, normally forged and uprated Cams for it to have revved as high as 10k.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
Could have had a forged JUN engine or some other Jap tuner, normally forged and uprated Cams for it to have revved as high as 10k.
Agreed mate but we never did find out, sold it and 6 days later it was written off :-(