broadband company?

patrickdc5

anyone recommend any cheapest and best broadband company to go with at the momment?
Iv been told to have a look at a company called talk talk if anyones used them before??
thanks

civic17_99

Advanced Member
I'm currently with talktalk, get all landline calls all day for free except for 08 numbers etc. cheapers calls abroad and the broadband is included. I havent had any issues with it. I think i pay something like £20 a month i'l have to check.

-Woody-

Advanced Member
Tbh it depends on what you want from your broadband. Theres discounts for download usage, required speed, calls, tv and internet but it would depend on the company. Im currently with BT, expensive but the line was new, i had t o drag it from my previous address and the area is quite bad for a decent connection or so every other provider said!

dc5-2ltr

dc5-2ltr
Mmmm...used to be with BT...they told me repeatedly that the best speed I could get on my line was 1.9mbs (quite crappy) so I told them I was going to Sky and their rep said "well we own the line and the best speed you will get is 1.9mbs"..tested my line on Friday morning and got 1.7mbs...installed the Sky modem on Friday evening and got 3.4mbs...never had anything less than 3.2mbs..IMHO BT are a bunch of lying W*nkers [-X

-Woody-

Advanced Member
It was the other way round for me :lol: Had Tiscali and other companys tell me the line wasnt available for faster downloads when BT was sayin it was. BT are still shite though tbh!

iPicaso

I have virgin (Internet only) upstairs in my room, and talk talk (Internet and phone) downstairs. The virgin broadband connection i use for online gaming as you cant beat it for quality and consistancy.. and being a proffesional gamer, thats exactly what i need. :) talk talk internet has never been used in the 8 months ive had it, as i know how shite and inconsistantthe connection is. its only used for phone. at £20 a month, and free landline calls, it does the trick.

It depends entirely on what you need it for, but IMO with virgin having one of the best internet connections, its right for me. I personaly think its best for the lower end, and top end packages. you can get cheap, but good quality, or get the full works/phone/tele/internet at the best price. they have more to offer than most other companys too.

Next i would say Sky. not as good internet, not as good TV, (IMO) but with the price a bit lower, it may be right :)
Sorry to go on and on... but there you go. thats my view.

Dean

iPicaso

iv not a clue about all this HD TV stuff. call me old fashioned, but I still have my tube tele :) . but id imagine so. 10 - 20 mega bites per second is easy enough to stream HD. i do it on the net. but im not sure how the TV side of it works.

mikegsi

Staff member
Yes you can get hd tv through virgin broadband cable,

I've been with virgin/ntl for last 9yrs for broadband and never had a single complaint

mikegsi

Staff member
at the moment i only use them for 20meg b/band and landline phone, in the past ive used their tv packs as well as some of sky's packages too, but have always kept virgin b/band regardless

at the moment i use playtv (ps3) for freeview telly as its similar to sky+ just free, and download any progs i miss from the likes of sky1 etc and have also streamed online from 40d and iplayer with no probs

you can also get hd eurovox boxes now too, afaik these are perfectly legal to use to get freeview channels on, but if you were to put the right codes in to access everything else it would be illegal