Broken engine!! Need help

Teg_Ben

Advanced Member
My mate has a dc5 and his bottom end has gone, apparently due to oil starvation (I know, sacrilege!).

My other mate is a mechanic and was wondering if the k20 out the ep3 would fit fairly easily into the dc5. Because obviously they are more readily available/cheaper to buy second hand.

Is it worth doing?

Has anyone replaced an engine on here?

Turbosnatch

Advanced Member
Teg_Ben said:
My mate has a dc5 and his bottom end has gone, apparently due to oil starvation (I know, sacrilege!).

My other mate is a mechanic and was wondering if the k20 out the ep3 would fit fairly easily into the dc5. Because obviously they are more readily available/cheaper to buy second hand.

Is it worth doing?

Has anyone replaced an engine on here?
That will work however you will be about 20hp down on power and will seriously reduce the value of the car

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
you wont be 20 hp down on power as long as you keep the dc5 head and just use the k20a2 bottom end you might lose a couple of hp but i doubt it would be measurable.

the only difference in the bottom end is the dc5 pistons have slightly higher compression ratio.

the head is the same as well as are the valves and springs the cams are where the power comes from and inlet/exhaust etc which as he has a dc5 you will swap over.

k24 swap is ok as long as you have kpro as the fueling requirements will be different.

Turbosnatch

Advanced Member
C&S Evo7 said:
you wont be 20 hp down on power as long as you keep the dc5 head and just use the k20a2 bottom end you might lose a couple of hp but i doubt it would be measurable.

the only difference in the bottom end is the dc5 pistons have slightly higher compression ratio.

the head is the same as well as are the valves and springs the cams are where the power comes from and inlet/exhaust etc which as he has a dc5 you will swap over.

k24 swap is ok as long as you have kpro as the fueling requirements will be different.
I just pulled an EP3 engine out of mine and once I put the K20A in it was remarkably different, to the point you wouldn't believe. The ep3 engine had the DC5 intake manifold, gearbox, ecu etc too

I thought the heads were the same? I had no idea the A had different cams

K24 all the way

pulpmelon_r

Advanced Member
C&S Evo7 said:

Agreed

Might even make more power on 95-97 ron UK fuel at 11:1CR

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
TARA J said:
I just pulled an EP3 engine out of mine and once I put the K20A in it was remarkably different, to the point you wouldn't believe. The ep3 engine had the DC5 intake manifold, gearbox, ecu etc too

I thought the heads were the same? I had no idea the A had different cams

K24 all the way
its all about the cams Tara, the compression ratio is slightly higher but as pulpmelon says the fuel quality here is lower than japan so we cant make the most of the higher ron rating fuel and higher compression of the teg which is why an ep3 with similar mods and kpro will often get a bigger gain over std than a teg when mapped

Teg_Ben

Advanced Member
Think he's going to try the insurance root, or sell as a non runner, wants around £4K..

davidpingu

Advanced Member
C&S Evo7 said:
its all about the cams Tara, the compression ratio is slightly higher but as pulpmelon says the fuel quality here is lower than japan so we cant make the most of the higher ron rating fuel and higher compression of the teg which is why an ep3 with similar mods and kpro will often get a bigger gain over std than a teg when mapped
I never realised this about compression Si. Always though shell 99 was quality enough. One of the main differences with the k20 in the fd2 having more output I thought was partly down to the higher compression again vs the teg. Obviously the Rrc helps too but it still puts out around 25 to 30bhp over the dc5 doesn't it?

If I ever needed a new engine it was always the higher compression fd2 version that was most attractive to me!

integraleo

Advanced Member
Fd2 is 225ps if I remember correctly so only 5hp more than dc5. I would say that's probably down to rrc,as for faster acceleration that's due to it having 5.1 final drive as standard and as for being quicker on track is because it's even more track focused than the teg and harder set up.

davidpingu

Advanced Member
integraleo said:
Fd2 is 225ps if I remember correctly so only 5hp more than dc5. I would say that's probably down to rrc,as for faster acceleration that's due to it having 5.1 final drive as standard and as for being quicker on track is because it's even more track focused than the teg and harder set up.
I read they all put a lot more out on a dyno. Nearer 240bhp from memory?

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Timhardy said:
Out of curiosity would you use ep3 ecu or retain the dc5 ecu with this swap?
Keep the DC5 ECU.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Timhardy

Brilliant thank you mate, if you were using a ep3 gearbox would you use a dc5 vss with ep3 cog as to not mess the converter up