CAI vs Airbox

fenomeno26

Advanced Member
My mechanic insist that the old good Cold air intake that goes down close to the front wheel(footwell) should be better for gains as compared to an airbox, like mugen or GruppeM, just due to the fact it seats lower and its open filter....I believe the same, even though a CAI might result in loosing low end torque...i would like to hear what you guys think.

ally_mac

Advanced Member
The injen or aem cai are 2 very good filters and give pretty good gains. Comparing them to a gruppe-m, I think the gruppe-m would come out on top, not too sure about the mugen airbox

mad

As other people mentioned here both systems are VERY good. It all goes down to value for money and i believe that Injen is the best. It costs far less than a gruppe m and the gains are pretty good. Only thing is that it sits low enough so you have to be careful with standing water on the road.

Tim_85

As discussed. CAI's tend to "puddle suck" in the winter months! Although in the summer months they do have major advantages. The fact they are an open cone allows for a high flow rate and the fact the filter is not in the engine bay and well ventilated means there is absoluely no heat-soak. Some of the CAI's on the market do obstruct the brake duct slightly but this does not tend to cause too many problems. I am currently running the AEM long ram and I have no complaints whatsoever. Good powergains, great noise and as long as your careful going through standing water, no problems at all.

Hope this could be of some help to you.
:D

fenomeno26

Advanced Member
I was using an AEM CAI on my previous car, a Celica gt-s (euro model is celica t-sport) and i was pretty happy...i think i will go with that. Anyone knows any online stores that do international shipping of AEM CAI? i am located in Cyprus....dealer here told me i have to order it and will be about 180CYP pounds ~ 190 GBP.. is this a good price?

Suped

Advanced Member
Jayk said:
standard airbox with drop -in filter wins :D
Agree mate. Honda didnt waste all that hard earned Yen in developing a rubbish air box. :lol:

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
No but Honda spent alot of time developing an engine that would be quiet.
We all know they could have easily made more power but as always there is a compromise.
Honda would be very aware that an open filter would flow more air (look at S2000 has an open filter in a box) but sometimes the velocity of that air is more important than the amount, with most of the boxes on the market they dont replace the robber ridged hose between the box and TB, all the bumps cant do anything for flow rate.
SFS hoses are developing a replacement as we speak.

Suped

Advanced Member
OoOo.. interesting.. let me know more detail on the hoses, might be interested as I'm thinking OEM with drop in for road use and V2 for track use. :lol:

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry off topic...

Ed, did you look under "extras" and "shock Mr2" on my web site? there are some pics you will like but might not be work safe. :wink:

Suped

Advanced Member
Yeah, kayla is a good mate. She's abit on the crazy side and so is her mates in that shoot!! She's one of the shock models and get to see her all the time whenever that MR2 is about. When did you get to take some crafty close ups??

Very tantilising though. :lol:

C&S Evo7 said:
Sorry off topic...

Ed, did you look under "extras" and "shock Mr2" on my web site? there are some pics you will like but might not be work safe. :wink:

Jayk

Advanced Member
yup, the design is very good. the DC2 aribox was teh 2nd fastest flow OEM air box / chamber developed, the 1st fastest was the bently continental thingy,

no doubt the long ram cai's give a little and so do the enclosed boxes but its not enough to warrent the cash for.

even mardi gras use the standard airbox on there full race builds with just a k&n drop in.

im leaving my OEM box on and fittng my TODA A3's with KPRO so will find out what the results are at TDI, to compare which would be good to see.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
I did the photoshootshoot Ed :wink: a couple of years ago. (all-action.com is my website.)

the mr2 is now gold :shock: and in cardiff and has a different owner

dp9901

Advanced Member
i got the aem cai fitted on mine and had a nasty experience today went through some water and it wasnt even that deep or much and the engine spluttered and i quickly turned it off to hopefully avoid engine damage left it for a few mins it finally started bit missfire at first and held back for a few mile then cleared seems ok now.i even got one of those filter covers on which im glad i had as if not poss sucked up the water.so now its back to the original aibox for me now dont want to run that risk again. :!:

JCW

Advanced Member
C&S Evo7 said:
We all know they could have easily made more power but as always there is a compromise.
Honda would be very aware that an open filter would flow more air (look at S2000 has an open filter in a box) but sometimes the velocity of that air is more important than the amount, with most of the boxes on the market they dont replace the robber ridged hose between the box and TB, all the bumps cant do anything for flow rate.
Venair make induction hoses for the ctr don't know if it fits the dc5 though ?
http://www.venairsport.co.uk/product_in ... cts_id=477

dazza

Advanced Member
JCW said:
C&S Evo7 said:
Venair make induction hoses for the ctr don't know if it fits the dc5 though ?
http://www.venairsport.co.uk/product_in ... cts_id=477
I'm pretty sure there exactly the same so should fit.
I think i'm going to stick with the satndard airbox, it's got a drop in filter.
Probably going to get the 5Zigen scoop at some point and the silicon hose, now i know one exists. Never thought about the ridges in the standard pipe but C&S EVO 7 is right they must cause turbulence.
But wouldn't have Honda thought of that though :?