cams or lightweight rpf01's ?

cam87

morning

would you say it was better to get a set of tdi north stage 2 cams or would it be better to get a set of enkei 17x7 et45 wheels which save around 2kg per wheel? i know what they say about unsprung weight etc but would like some feedback off people please?

thanks

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Depends if your car is more track or road focussed and used, Wheels are a good change (although I run two sets of oems) I have been considering a third set (after market this time). Cams, I know some can be dropped straight in and give gains with a remap but depending on the amount of hp gains it may not actually be noticeable in real life use.

cam87

thanks for the replies guys

If i do the cams i might as well change the chain and tensioner etc so that becomes a 2 grand job. If i get the wheels then i'm looking at 1300 or so. The car is mainly used on road but i do, do track days. i used to have a set of oz ultraleggera wheels on a golf r and they were around 2kg difference per wheel and you could tell the difference but ive not been in a car with the cams changed to know if it is worth it

skengdR

Advanced Member
the cams based on what ive seen give about 10 to 15 whp depending on the dyno

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Them Witches

the wheels route involves less work without having to mess with the engine. personally I would do the cams though in the long run it will cost more money to do them correctly. I mean once the car is already rolling the cams will be faster.

if you are concerned with lap times go with the wheels.

JustinEET

Advanced Member
I would ask if you have upgraded the exhaust and intake. Because unless you car is able to breathe better. You aren't taking advantage of the cams. Stock breathing mods will hold them back. Since you are trying displace more air into cylinders with longer duration and opening up the valve up more.

Lemons

Advanced Member
thanks for the replies guys

If i do the cams i might as well change the chain and tensioner etc so that becomes a 2 grand job. If i get the wheels then i'm looking at 1300 or so. The car is mainly used on road but i do, do track days. i used to have a set of oz ultraleggera wheels on a golf r and they were around 2kg difference per wheel and you could tell the difference but ive not been in a car with the cams changed to know if it is worth it
Am I right in thinking, to change the chain and tensioner you need to take the engine out, and the point of "drop in" cams is that you don't need to take the engine out?

Meaning you might as well look at other (non -drop in) cams such as Toda A3, where you need to also fit springs and retainers which is an engine out job?