Can you 'freeze' Insurance?

LiamGTR

Advanced Member
My car is going up for sale, but I'm still using it in and insurance is due April 3rd.

If I renew, once I sell the DC5 can I freeze my insurance until I buy a new car (no idea how long that'll take)?

I'm thinking of doing that instead of cancelling and messing about getting money back, only to then give it back to probably the same company once I buy my new car.

tico_87

Advanced Member
I have done this in the past when my policy was with Admiral but have bejen told not all insurance companies do it.

I then got a refund for the amount of time my policy was frozen/on hold.

mikey_t8

Advanced Member
as tico said, only some companies..

its strange though, i was with elephant, sister company as admiral.. car got written off and they wouldn't freeze my insurance until i got a new car..

Neil@Greenlight

Authorised Trader
LiamGTR said:
My car is going up for sale, but I'm still using it in and insurance is due April 3rd.

If I renew, once I sell the DC5 can I freeze my insurance until I buy a new car (no idea how long that'll take)?

I'm thinking of doing that instead of cancelling and messing about getting money back, only to then give it back to probably the same company once I buy my new car.
Liam

Once you sell the car you get 14 days to replace the car on the policy. If you havent replaced the car by then the insurer ask to send a 7 day cancellation letter giving you a final 7 days to replace the car. So you actually get 21 days in total to find a replacment.

Your plan definately sounds like the right thing to do by renewing then changing the car rather than have to canel and start again when you get the new car.

Neil
Greenlight