Car covers

Barsj92

Anyone use a car cover on their dc5?

Any recommendations? the eBay ones all look very generic and universal fitting.

Thanks

carl hammond

Advanced Member
I have a storm force one and never again, it was just shy of £200 and even with it being breathable and fitted to the car with under straps etc etc etc it still in bad weather chaffed the paint and ruined it on spoiler corners etc

Luckily it was being repainted anyway so wasn‘t an issue and when I spoke to tgm about it they said you‘re better off just keeping on top of washing etc that using any outside covers on the car.

Just my view on them since I had poss he most expensive one I could find on mine

Now it stays uncovered until I get a garage

ATC

What Carl says makes sense. I also wouldn't be surprised if car covers attract more attention than not having one

There are generally two reasons (condition wise) that you wouldn't want to keep a car outside:

1) Damp and hence corrosion
2) Exposure to UV and it's segregating properties

Both of these can be avoided with proper car maintenance.
1) Damp by itself generally isn't a big issue. It's salt that's the killer, hence why fresh imports are generally so clean - they don't use salt in Japan. A car cover isn't going to protect from salt (unless you live next to the crashing waves) - if anything it'll just trap the moisture and promote corrosion. Regular washing, especially around problem areas should solve this.

2) Following from washing, a good wax and plastic dressings (and frequent enough applications) should protect from the harmful effects of the sun.

Added bonus of not using a cover is that the car is there for you to admire and drive whenever you like, faff free

That's my opinion anyway :)

ian85

ATC said:
What Carl says makes sense. I also wouldn't be surprised if car covers attract more attention than not having one

There are generally two reasons (condition wise) that you wouldn't want to keep a car outside:

1) Damp and hence corrosion
2) Exposure to UV and it's segregating properties

Both of these can be avoided with proper car maintenance.
1) Damp by itself generally isn't a big issue. It's salt that's the killer, hence why fresh imports are generally so clean - they don't use salt in Japan. A car cover isn't going to protect from salt (unless you live next to the crashing waves) - if anything it'll just trap the moisture and promote corrosion. Regular washing, especially around problem areas should solve this.

2) Following from washing, a good wax and plastic dressings (and frequent enough applications) should protect from the harmful effects of the sun.

Added bonus of not using a cover is that the car is there for you to admire and drive whenever you like, faff free

That's my opinion anyway :)
This and what Carl said is very interesting. As I was also considering my options for the Teg over the winter. Off the back off this I might save myself some money and not bother with a cover - just keep on top of washing.

Do you have your cars under sealed guys?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carl hammond

Advanced Member
ian85 said:
This and what Carl said is very interesting. As I was also considering my options for the Teg over the winter. Off the back off this I might save myself some money and not bother with a cover - just keep on top of washing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi yeah I have had mine undersealed and I use it all the time and it lives outside so I use anti rust coating on suspension etc and just wash off any salt etc if any ever gets on it mate

ATC

ian85 said:
Yep, undersealed when it was imported. Even avoiding wet roads I'd feel uncomfortable without underseal - salt gets everywhere sadly, no matter what the road conditions

Rom

Advanced Member
I've used a cover on mine for years, both before and after a respray. Absolute worst I've suffered, it some small 'dirty' abrasions on the swage lines down the sides.
That was after I didn't take it off for like 6 months! So completely my fault. Nothing that didn't come off with the lightest of pads and compounds on a das 6 in a single pass.

Pretty sure mines a storm force too, was tailored, about £150-200 I think. With a storage bag, silicone buckle covers etc.

For me, I favour a cover over fallout, uv, bird shit etc.

That said, my garage is being built, so will be in there soon

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Teggs

Seems to be quite a difference in opinion here, I'm looking at getting a daily driver to allow me to work on the car without worrying about how I get from A to B. I've looked at the stormforce aswell for about £160,

it still in bad weather chaffed the paint and ruined it on spoiler corners etc
This was a bit alarming Carl,I want a cover to protect the car, not mess it up!

I'd always be keen to stay on top of cleaning e.t.c but like Rom says there is a lot of atmospheric shite around. I will always take the car for a run every week, even if I'm not 'using' it, surely a cover must be a good idea if you can be careful when wrapping and unwrapping it?

Where I live, close to a railway line and busy roads I am stunned by the amount of carboniferous shite that accumluates after just a few days. If anyone has got a chinese contact that supplies cheap 'good old' asbestos brake pads, hook me up. I'll probably be posting from the respiratory ward in few months anyway, so would be nice to have the cleanest car in the crematorium.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Seems to be quite a difference in opinion here, I'm looking at getting a daily driver to allow me to work on the car without worrying about how I get from A to B. I've looked at the stormforce aswell for about £160,

This was a bit alarming Carl,I want a cover to protect the car, not mess it up!

I'd always be keen to stay on top of cleaning e.t.c but like Rom says there is a lot of atmospheric excremente around. I will always take the car for a run every week, even if I'm not 'using' it, surely a cover must be a good idea if you can be careful when wrapping and unwrapping it?

Where I live, close to a railway line and busy roads I am stunned by the amount of carboniferous excremente that accumluates after just a few days. If anyone has got a chinese contact that supplies cheap 'good old' asbestos brake pads, hook me up. I'll probably be posting from the respiratory ward in few months anyway, so would be nice to have the cleanest car in the crematorium.
Sorry not been on here in a long time as been snowed under with house selling and buying, honestly I would never touch another outdoor car cover after the annoying damage caused. I was literally as cautious as can be, only re-fitted if there was no wind, the car had been fully detailed and was dry etc etc etc to ensure no dust or contaminates could impact and rub on the paint etc, always used the undercar locking straps and it still rubbed when there was wind :-(