Car Reving On Its Own?

Hello

Does Anyone have any idea as why it does this? happens at random times does it sometimes wen first started and once iv been driving and stop at traffic lights for example! it revs to 2500 everytime wen its doing it any help would be much appriciated

Thanks

turbo5

Advanced Member
Lots of posts on the subject on here. Its 90% certain that its your IACV thats sticking. (Idle Air Contol Valve)
Its located on the throttle body. It needs taking off and cleaning.
2 post down sticking throttle viewtopic.php?f=8&t=33766

barsby2k10

Advanced Member
sure its not the engine idleing high when cold. Mine does it when cold and then about 2 minutes later it stops. I find it best to sit in the car for 2 mins and let it heat up a bit before driving off.

Stylesa

Advanced Member
Doubt it would be cold idling at 2500rpm....seems a bit high, even on the coldest of days.

dave kil

Advanced Member
Willoughby1987 said:
Hello

Does Anyone have any idea as why it does this? happens at random times does it sometimes wen first started and once iv been driving and stop at traffic lights for example! it revs to 2500 everytime wen its doing it any help would be much appriciated

Thanks

This used to happen mine, as said its most likely the IACV (well it was in my case).
To put your mind at ease for the interim you can always give the throttle a little blip and should idle normally until you get around to cleaning the IACV.

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
I get something similar at cold idle, if i rev the engine sometimes it hangs at 3k for a few seconds then drops. It only does it when cold, would that be that IACV aswell?

rodney

Advanced Member
Almost certainly the ICV.

All DC5's on startup, prodamantly when cold all idle at 3k momentarily non?

EDIT: This is why even a standard exhaust system sounds quite loud at cold idle because of the 3k push. Hence when you get aftermarket it's amplified x5. It's the excuse I use to dampen the Spoon shockwave to passengers on cold idle. As the K20 is highly strung, I thought this the reason.

Stylesa

Advanced Member
even when it was frosty earlier in the year, the highest ive seen my cold start idle is 1800rpm...

VT-Doo

RushDoo
3,000RPM is NOT normal in anyway!

As Adrian said; 1,800rpm +/- 200RPM is the specs for a standard ECU.

rodney

Advanced Member
Oh!

It's done that since i imported it. Ill get it checked out, perhaps its 2k but i thought it was 3k. Ta Ian :oops:

Stylesa

Advanced Member
VT-Doo said:
:lol: Not a problem.
Dirt clogging up the IACV seems to be a Honda trait :roll:
i had to get mine cleaned just last week. has been sticking on 1200rpm even when warm, goes away with a blip of the throttle.

VT-Doo

RushDoo
StevenW said:
My car revs when I turn the steering wheel...and the car is idle.... :?
How much does it rev?
It's normal for the revs to alter ever so slightly.

rossteg88

Advanced Member
mine was doing exactly that when the car was having work done on it... it turned out they disconnected the battery and the ECU needed resetting :xconfused:

civboy

This happend to mine after leaving it in the garage for a while with out starting it, read a few thread's on here and took the TB off and took apart the IACV clean'd that up as it was sticking and not free spinning, but now after cleaning etc fitting it all back together it's 100% on idle :) altogether it only cost me a little time and a new TB gasket

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
I fitted the RBC manifold on Monday, after starting the engine later that night the revs were all over the place and the engine light came on, fault code relating to the IACV.
It was too late to fix so I drove the kangaroo to work the following day, and after work the car was fine and the engine light also went out!

Maybe the blockage moved on? Or a combination of the ECU relearning and the IACV magnetic rotor being disturbed but settled after the 25 mile drive to work?

It's been fine since Tuesday now.