carbon bonnet gone hazy

shaun1

hi does anyone know where i can get my carbon bonnet re-done due to laquer has gone hazy.

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
Yeah any GOOD experienced body shop I imagine can re-lacquer that for you, then keep it waxed as often as you possibly can, at least once every 2 weeks. Perhaps that might be excessive but I have had mine for 3 years now and its pretty much as good as new.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
You can get a gel coat cleaner to try first . They work very well to get the oxidisation sorted.
Your bonnet is unlikely to be lacquered from new, they use a process the same as a fibreglass to make them with a gel coat.

Meguiars sell one in their marine range that works a treat (suprised porthos didn't spot that)

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
You can get a gel coat cleaner to try first . They work very well to get the oxidisation sorted.
Your bonnet is unlikely to be lacquered from new, they use a process the same as a fibreglass to make them with a gel coat.

Meguiars sell one in their marine range that works a treat (suprised porthos didn't spot that)
Interesting Si! I just thought they were all lacquer...

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
Every day is a skool day 

You should also keep it polished with something that protects against Uv.

If you find it can't be rescued then ask the painter to put 5% black in with the laquer it will add some depth and darken in back to black

shaun1

You should also keep it polished with something that protects against Uv.

If you find it can't be rescued then ask the painter to put 5% black in with the laquer it will add some depth and darken in back to black

i think its best to go to bodyshop and get it sorted.

thanks for the info and advice.

eXceed

Resident Driver
Definitely just needs a good polishing, probably same with the headlights if the bonnet has gone hazy. Takes about 30mins for me to polish my headlights and they look like new after. Would take about the same time for a bonnet...

Stoo

Whining.....
School ;)
:D :D :D

Joking aside buddy, Si's reccomendation would be my first port of call.
Definitely worth a shot for potentail money saving!!

If it works, hey presto, If not, its £15..... not £150+

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
Where abouts are you Shaun? If you are close enough I could have a bash with my machine polisher 8) Does look to me purely cosmetic looking at it now, no peeling lacquer, so as Si said, should be fixable with a polish.

Dan2020

Advanced Member
I had a Spoon carbon spoiler on my old EG that did the same, a few goings over with the clay bar, then some polish and topped off with a coat of wax it was as good as new!!

integraleo

Advanced Member
I had a Spoon carbon spoiler on my old EG that did the same, a few goings over with the clay bar, then some polish and topped off with a coat of wax it was as good as new!!
hey porthos im relatively close to u if your offering to polish cars now lol.im in north devon,heard u met viggen on here already.

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
hey porthos im relatively close to u if your offering to polish cars now lol.im in north devon,heard u met viggen on here already.
Thats handy! I don't mind coming over to help you sort your bonnet! Free of charge, lol. Seems a waste to have a polisher and not use it atm. Would be interesting to see how well it works!

Drop me a PM and I am sure we can sort something out 8)

Yes, met Viggen, nice lad! Always texting now and then.

integraleo

Advanced Member
Thats handy! I don't mind coming over to help you sort your bonnet! Free of charge, lol. Seems a waste to have a polisher and not use it atm. Would be interesting to see how well it works!

Drop me a PM and I am sure we can sort something out 8)

Yes, met Viggen, nice lad! Always texting now and then.
u misunderstand,i havent got a carbon bonnet just need whole car polished mate lol