Catalytic Converter

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Hi all before I look to sell it to someone who wanted one does anyone here know much about Catalytic Converters, what they should look like inside etc.

Reason I ask is that it came with the car but has never been fitted in my ownership and the guy I bought the car off said Romain told him he bought the cat was potentially blocked (yet it sill pulled big numbers). Anyway the guy had a full DC mani and system fitted and I have the cat here but cannot tell if it looks ok and fine to sell.

Anyone about to help? The three bolts need removing and replacing but aside from that I think it looks fine.

Carl

20Drift

Members
Staff member
In your 4th picture, it looks like the cell structure has partially collapsed but wouldn't say it was anything major.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
20Drift said:
In your 4th picture, it looks like the cell structure has partially collapsed but wouldn't say it was anything major.
Thanks mate, Would that fail an mot or be an issue for anyone ? Don‘t wanna sell anything that could be bad for any potential buyer later down the line

20Drift

Members
Staff member
carl hammond said:
Thanks mate, Would that fail an mot or be an issue for anyone ? Don‘t wanna sell anything that could be bad for any potential buyer later down the line
Not sure - it doesn't look like the cells have actually fallen all the way through so would assume it'd still pass as it's not letting 'neat' exhaust gas through but you'd probably see the emissions a bit higher than normal. Could put it on the car and ask a mate to chuck the emissions machine on it to check for a couple of beers.

I've not seen a cat structure fail like that before though - has it been dented on the outside or something?

carl hammond

Advanced Member
20Drift said:
Not sure - it doesn't look like the cells have actually fallen all the way through so would assume it'd still pass as it's not letting 'neat' exhaust gas through but you'd probably see the emissions a bit higher than normal. Could put it on the car and ask a mate to chuck the emissions machine on it to check for a couple of beers.

I've not seen a cat structure fail like that before though - has it been dented on the outside or something?
Hi mate I‘ve looked and that was stuff in there, hoovered out and this is the inside (where it would meet the b-pipe)

That look better and normal ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20Drift

Members
Staff member
That definitely looks more normal to me - must've been some crusty stuff in there before. Structure looks fine to me; wonder if that stuff you've hoovered out was what they thought was blocking it

carl hammond

Advanced Member
20Drift said:
That definitely looks more normal to me - must've been some crusty stuff in there before. Structure looks fine to me; wonder if that stuff you've hoovered out was what they thought was blocking it
Yeah poss, any tests you know of I can try to see if it‘s ok or a way of cleaning it through ?

20Drift

Members
Staff member
carl hammond said:
Yeah poss, any tests you know of I can try to see if it‘s ok or a way of cleaning it through ?
I've got a mate who works at a garage - I blew the cat on my VXR and confirmed it by doing an emissions test which it failed on. There was another test which uses a gauge to measure the back pressure but never done one personally so you'd probably need to read up on it!

carl hammond

Advanced Member
20Drift said:
I've got a mate who works at a garage - I blew the cat on my VXR and confirmed it by doing an emissions test which it failed on. There was another test which uses a gauge to measure the back pressure but never done one personally so you'd probably need to read up on it!
Ok mate will do thanks but from initial views it looks fine lol