Change Interior Bulbs Without Honda

gaza4

Advanced Member
So noticed that the bulb at the back of my hazard switch and AC switch had blown so i set about replacing them. Went to 4 different motor factors chancing my arm they would have them but all told me it was a main dealer job. Made a call and it was gonna work out about €20 for the 2 tiny bulbs plus a few days wait since they weren't in stock!!!

I had a search online for cheaper alternatives and found this article using replacement bulbs from Radioshack which we dont have this side of the pond...

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=705558

So that got me thinking about Maplin. Took a spin over and they had 2 different 12v bulbs one way too big and the other only slightly too big but figured i'd take a chance on the smaller ones for the sake of €2 each

On the left is the Maplin bulb, right is OEM. Notice the diameter is the same but the OEM is shorter.

Heres the OEM AC Button bulb

And the Maplin bulb, I knew the socket was deep so wasnt too worried about this one.

The OEM hazzard bulb

and fitted with the maplin bulb, this one was of more concern as i knew the socket was much more shallow but it did fit although barely i would imagine!!!!

So there you go, replaced 2 bulbs for 4 quid as opposed to 20 quid with Honda!!! I reckon this will work for most interior lights that use these plastic holders so it would be worth looking into before going straight to Honda IMO

Fitting the bulbs in the holders is quite straight forward, the wires just run through the two holes and then wrap around the base. Take a look at how the wires run before removing the old bulb if your unsure.

Heres a link to the bulb from Maplin:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/12v-wire-terminal-type-bt43w

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Pretty sure you can replace these with eBay LED jobbies too. They normally come in sizes like T4, T3 etc. I replaced the ones in my heater dials which are a similar design. Good effort though!

gaza4

Advanced Member
davidpingu said:
Pretty sure you can replace these with eBay LED jobbies too. They normally come in sizes like T4, T3 etc. I replaced the ones in my heater dials which are a similar design. Good effort though!
i had read that using LEDs would require a resistor since its12v power running to 5v LEDs so i decided against that route

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Not sure how it works tbh but I'm running quite a few LED's interior and sidelights without an issue? I thought resistors were only for cars where they flag a warning on the dash when a bulb goes? I have absolutely no idea about electrics though. Having said that I think a bulb gives off better light as a backlight.

Fahadl786

Advanced Member
Ive heard the LED ones dont last.

Just did this to my Hazard, Engine Start and all Heater Buttons and theyre all working! :D

Thanks once again

PeteMTBer

Mine blew within the first year of ownership and due to cost bought some LEDs from ebay for about £4 to replace them.

LED's are less likely to blow. I'm now 4 years on and no problems.

Something to take into account is that the LEDs are brighter, and if you use the dimmer control they do not dim as far as the regular bulbs. For example if I dim to the point I cant see my dials, the heater controls are still very visible.

Rom

Advanced Member
You use 12v leds not 5v if you dont have a controller.

Im using ebay ones in my push start and hazard