Closed Loop/Open Loop & The ECU "Learning" Myth Explained

sovietspybob

Advanced Member
Re: Closed Loop/Open Loop & The ECU "Learning" Myth Explaine

I would have thought you'd be running fairly lean with all those breathing mods so longterm that can't be good for the engine

VT-Doo

RushDoo

Every engine is different, the only true way to find out is by putting the car on a dyno for a power run while the air/fuel ratio is being monitored.

Personally I wouldn't go more than a CAT-back exhaust system and induction kit until you see it on a dyno.

viggen

Advanced Member

thanks for the advice.i think i will get a spoon manifold 4-2.get if fitted then dyno it straight away.if good then 2-1.here is my dyno chart.with spoon catback and top fuel cia.can u tell just by looking at my print out.what my air to fuel ratio is?

VT-Doo

RushDoo

No you can't tell.
You need to make sure you ask for it to be printed on the gtraph BEFORE & AFTER the dyno run...sometimes they forget :lol:

hondazzz

Advanced Member

VT-Doo said:
Every engine is different, the only true way to find out is by putting the car on a dyno for a power run while the air/fuel ratio is being monitored.

Personally I wouldn't go more than a CAT-back exhaust system and induction kit until you see it on a dyno.
C&S Evo7 said:
dont know the limit, but generally fitting an induction and exhaust with no cat is beyond the oem ecu's capabilities for fuel correction.

Ok guys thanks for the input..

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
Closed Loop/Open Loop & The ECU "Learning" Myth Explained

I would expect with a full spoon system and cai it would be lean or very close if not, like VT said they can all differ a bit some are and some arnt, unless you are after every bhp and are getting an ecu then stick with the catback

wj51fut

Advanced Member
I've just replaced my 5Zigen B-Pipe with a Spoon B-Pipe and the car seemed to have a flat spot so I unplugged the ECU from inside the car and left it for about 3 hours before plugging it back in again. I must admit that I did give it some beans after re-connecting the ECU and now I'm still getting a flat spot. It's at the bottom end about 2-3K. Should I reset the ECU in the same way but drive it sensibly whilst it re-trains itself?! And if so, for how long?

jay82

Advanced Member
I've just replaced my 5Zigen B-Pipe with a Spoon B-Pipe and the car seemed to have a flat spot so I unplugged the ECU from inside the car and left it for about 3 hours before plugging it back in again. I must admit that I did give it some beans after re-connecting the ECU and now I'm still getting a flat spot. It's at the bottom end about 2-3K. Should I reset the ECU in the same way but drive it sensibly whilst it re-trains itself?! And if so, for how long?
well giving it beans after having the car parked up won't do any good anyway.
plugging the ecu out will only mainly help with fault codes. i've normally felt flat spots in cars when something like a sensor was packing in and in one case the fuel pump packed in. if the spoon B-pipe was new i wouldn't think it was that. maybe a gasket on the exhaust needs replacing

wj51fut

Advanced Member
I let the car warm up first!! Will double check the gaskets when I can get it on a ramp.