Clunk noise when breaking at low speed

Dc5mo

Hi guys. Got a weird problem when breaking at low speed for example pulling off in traffic stop start when I apply the breaks it makes a clunk sound. The discs are fine and the pads are too, car breaking is normal just the clunking sound is annoying. Any info would be appreciated. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Hi guys. Got a weird problem when breaking at low speed for example pulling off in traffic stop start when I apply the breaks it makes a clunk sound. The discs are fine and the pads are too, car breaking is normal just the clunking sound is annoying. Any info would be appreciated. Cheers

I know it maybe a long shot but I had similar and someone had not put the bottom caliper bolt back in and it was clunking when stopping and only at low speeds, I looked and the bolt was either not put back at all or had come loose and fallen out (I am going with the first of the two). Maybe worth taking the wheel off or reaching round to check both bolts are in and tightened fully mate

Dc5mo

carl hammond said:
I know it maybe a long shot but I had similar and someone had not put the bottom caliper bolt back in and it was clunking when stopping and only at low speeds, I looked and the bolt was either not put back at all or had come loose and fallen out (I am going with the first of the two). Maybe worth taking the wheel off or reaching round to check both bolts are in and tightened fully mate
Thanks I will have a look n see if that might be the case.

Dc5mo

Johngreen537 said:
Generally it's just the pad movement.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
It‘s really strange if it the pads because I‘ve never experienced it with any other car. Is it worth taking to a garage to have a look to see if it could be anything else?

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
Quite common really mate.
Easy to work out though.
Reverse a few yards a d but brakes on, do the same going forwards straight after.

You'll hear them clunk.

Dc5mo

Johngreen537 said:
Quite common really mate.
Easy to work out though.
Reverse a few yards a d but brakes on, do the same going forwards straight after.

You'll hear them clunk.

Yeah that‘s what happens I was just paranoid it could be something else. Are there any pads for dc5 that don‘t do that.

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
It's normal basically. Not a dc5 specific thing.

There has to be a small amount of movement, otherwise its be near impossible to get the pads into the caliper in the first place.

You could replace the shims/pad retainers I suppose, but 99% of the time it'll come back.

Just put it down to racecar character :)

Dc5mo

Johngreen537 said:
It's normal basically. Not a dc5 specific thing.

There has to be a small amount of movement, otherwise its be near impossible to get the pads into the caliper in the first place.

You could replace the shims/pad retainers I suppose, but 99% of the time it'll come back.

Just put it down to racecar character :)

I guess I‘m just gonna leave it for now maybe next time round try another brand, any recommendations?

Slight hijack but is the noise a light tap when the brakes are applied. I have a clunk but only seems to manifest itself when I accelerate after braking. So won't make a noise until I accelerate.

Dc5mo

Bathroom_Security said:
Slight hijack but is the noise a light tap when the brakes are applied. I have a clunk but only seems to manifest itself when I accelerate after braking. So won't make a noise until I accelerate.
na this when breaking at low speed if you read up John green explained it well how to make it happen it‘s like when pulling off from stop start traffic there‘s some play somewhere or shims or something but brakes work fine it‘s just annoying quite a few people have had this issue. I‘m sort of used to it now.