Clutch release or input shaft bearing?

Rob_DC5

Advanced Member
My car has of late started to make all sorts of horrible noises from the gearbox area when accelerating, de-accelerating.

started off as a clunking/knocking sound now more of a bearing sound whilst driving. Nothing on idle afaia, but when you depress the clutch the noise stops.

New OEM honda clutch kit fitted only several k ago.

I'm reading mixed results on either or the above cause??

High mileage on the gearbox possibly same since new 200k??? Yes this is my track car and gets 'used' :) all gears engagement 100% fine.

Any help would be much apprecaited

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Was the release bearing also OEM Honda that you had fitted and not the Exedy one?

The only similar thing I have encountered was on my DC2 and that was the Exedy release bearing that was shot, the noise as you say went when I pressed the clutch in

Input shaft bearing I believe would cause noise when the cars in neutral with the engine running and so I don't know if this would stop if the clutch is pressed as I believe this is always in motion isn't it? if so then I would be more inclined to say release bearing (but that's the only one I have ever encountered so hope someone else could add some confirmation or additional info).

DC5Jack

Advanced Member
When my diff was on it's way out it started making some awful noises especially when off throttle and decelerating. The diff input bearings were also knackered and needed changing.

My teg had only done about 70k when I had to change the diff. So I don't know if that's something you want to look into.

Jack

Rob_DC5

Advanced Member
How can you tell if the diff is on it's way out appose to the shaft bearing?

It did initially sound very brutal more like drop link knocking but sound has changed now which is a little worrying

MikeH89

I would have thought it was the input bearing if it stops when the clutch is depressed.

When the clutch is depressed, the release bearing is loaded and the gearbox input shaft is then disengaged from the drive, when you release the clutch the input shaft becomes engaged and therefore begins spinning again.

Just my logic says it would be the input shaft bearing if its one or the other...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqF-aBtTBnY

2mins 45secs

Hope this helps.

Rob_DC5

Advanced Member
Just to add more odd happenings to the mix... the noise also stops when turning left. Stationary no noise either

Straight line and right, noise apparent???

DC5Jack

Advanced Member
On mine there was mainly noise & vibrations when on left hand turns. Especially bad when coming off turnings on the motorway.

I had my box stripped down and inspected by Tdi, when it was in for other works. Had them stuff a wavetrac & new bearings in there while they had it apart

Jack