Coolant change

bennn

Advanced Member
Hi guys.

Want to change the coolant in my DC5.

Is there a drain plug or is it a case of just disconnect the lower rad hose?

Presume there is a drain on the block somewhere?

Will 5 litres of type 2 be enough?

bennn

Advanced Member
Thanks. What about draining the coolant in the block?

Are there any bleed screws or is it just a case of leave the cap open while running?!

jpstyper

Advanced Member
No bleed points on the block I can think of just let it drain from the radiator as that is the lowest point on the system and take the cap off will let it drain a little quicker as it will draw the air in from there

bennn

Advanced Member
jpstyper said:
No bleed points on the block I can think of just let it drain from the radiator as that is the lowest point on the system and take the cap off will let it drain a little quicker as it will draw the air in from there
Brill loads easier than on my old BMWS then!

bxlheathsupra

Advanced Member
Drain then flush a few times with water to get any rusty crap out if present.
Mine was gunked up with rusty water took a few flushes then was clear ready for fresh coolant

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Jamesdelll

Just seen this posts and going to give mine a flush and fresh coolant..looks easy enough. What fluids are people using? I popped into halfrauds they have a pink oat coolant which was recommended for the s2000 and civic ep3s so assume this will suffice? Or any others products recommended I.e going to Honda?

bennn

Advanced Member
Jamesdelll said:
Just seen this posts and going to give mine a flush and fresh coolant..looks easy enough. What fluids are people using? I popped into halfrauds they have a pink oat coolant which was recommended for the s2000 and civic ep3s so assume this will suffice? Or any others products recommended I.e going to Honda?
I got 5 litres of type 2 from Honda. Ready mixed for £20.

bennn

Advanced Member
Sorted last night. Really easy job. Undo the petcock on the rad and drain. I also had the manifold off anyway so drained the block from behind the thermostat.

Filled off and left it running with the heating on and cap off for 15 mins and it seems fine now.

Mike9000

Advanced Member
bennn said:
Sorted last night. Really easy job. Undo the petcock on the rad and drain. I also had the manifold off anyway so drained the block from behind the thermostat.

Filled off and left it running with the heating on and cap off for 15 mins and it seems fine now.
Cool, one of the jobs I want to do soon

Vteccin_teg

Advanced Member
Hi mate,
Could I ask a few questions please.
I'm going to be doing this on saturday. I've found the drain wing nut thing under front end.
Literally just let it all drain from there?

To top up is it through radiator cap or the white bottle reservoir thing on left that has min/max mark on it?
Then do you leave it running with cap off, let thermo kick in and check/adjust level via white reservoir if needed?

To flush system, would I just bang a hose in the white reservoir, with the wing nut loosened?

Many thanks

jpstyper

Advanced Member
Yes open that and the coolant will drain out

Fill the coolant into the radiator till it's full I put the cap on let it get up to temp then let it cool and refill
The white reservoir is a expansion tank it bleeds excess coolant into it aswell as sucking into the radiator when it is low so just fill it to below the max line

A coolant flush is something you usually run through the engine buy one add it then run the car and then drain old coolant maybe wrong but that's what I think