Coolant Temp Sensor / Aftermarket Temp Sensor Location

MrRy

Advanced Member
I wonder if anyone could advise.

I need to change my OEM coolant hoses as they have lost their strength and flatten when the car has been hot and cools down after a couple of hours. Thought it was the rad cap at first but it did the same with the blueprint rad cap and a Honda Oem rad cap, so the Mugen 1.3 bar is back on.

Anyway, my Defi gauge has the sensor plumbed into the top coolant hoses via an adapter, but I didn't want to chop up a new set of silicone hoses unless I have to so the questions are:

- Can I someone use the OEM water sensor for the Defi via the thermostat housing? (Assuming not as at a guess, OEM is narrowband and Defi's is a wideband temp sensor?)
- If not, if I take the OEM one out and just use my Defi, will this affect the OEM setup in that the ECU needs to read water temp directly from the cluster gauge and so will stop the car being able to go from closed loop to open loop and vice versa?

Worst case I will chop up a Mishimoto hose as I don't want to tap next to the OEM location, too much faff and would rather a reversible, clean proper job.

Cheers
Ry

Brophy

Advanced Member
Can chop up the Mishimoto like I have in pic below.

Or could fit where the IAAV is situated if get k tuned blank which is tapped to accept gauge sensor size of 1/8 NPT iirc

MrRy

Advanced Member
Yeah that's how my water gauge runs now, with the coolant hose sensor, and I used to run my DC2 the same way. Looking at that, it doesn't look too bad - really rather clean actually, so I may just need to suck it up and cut up a new hose.

When you say IAAV, do you mean IACV? If so I've never looked into that way, though a brief google online mentions needing Kpro so I would need this done before my tuning session. Will need to research this a little more - cheers :)

Brophy

Advanced Member
I thought mines turned out nice and neat

No I do not, IAAV (Idle Air Assist Valve) pic below for info

That's one of the delete kits you can buy

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
Ideally the temp sender wants to be in the top hose for the best readings for your gauge ,

the ecu needs to see the temp as it uses that and other sensors to compute the correct fueling.

cutting the hose is the easiest solution, if you have an Alloy radiator, you could get a boss welded to it to take the sensor

MrRy

Advanced Member
Cheers guys. I always found having the sender in the top hose handy as once the oem temp gauge gets to it's normal point, the thermostat opens and the aftermarket gauge comes alive and gives a more accurate reading. Prefer that the sender as close to OEM position as possible as that's where Honda read from.

Thanks both. You've convinced me that its just simple and easiest to keep the setup this way with the next set of hoses :)