DC5 2001 REG engine whinning engine noise & cam timming

sammy luy

Hello,

Im a new member on this :) nice to meet you all fellow ITR owners!
Just picked up a 51 plate honda 28k miles on the clock but im worried about some noises under the bonnet it seems when driving in low gears and slow speed im hearing a strange noise hard to discribe but its a kinda whirring whinning sound is this normal for this car? I few of my friends say its normal as its a race spec car and they say that the old dc2 were the same can anyone shed some light on this.

also could any advise on the cam timming belt change on these cars and what milage do I need to take it for servicing? I have now been told these cars are fitted with a chain instead of a cam belt if so what are the intervals of the change of the chain?

ok any help advise would be grateful

:evil:

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
There is no timing belt, its a chain.
they are generally pretty noisy cars.

Jayk

Advanced Member
that sounds about right. they do do whine alot, and are alot less tappety than the dc2.

fenomeno26

Advanced Member
I kind of find it hard to drive the car below 3K rpm....its like the car is complaining, (whining) but maybe that is the way the engine is designed..and i know this car is very happy above 4.5 K rpm...during daily driving i change gears between 4.5 - 6.5 rpm and its more than ideal...feels like driving a 2.0 lt car.

jimmy_atr

Advanced Member
This is exactly what i have found since owning it.

Always kinda worries me, but everyone says its normal.

Its amazing how the engine seems so perfect at higher revs but doesnt seem to like it low down :lol: