DC5 help & general questions.

matt b

Advanced Member
Im looking at maybe importing a DC5! First question will I find one for £14500? Or will I struggle?
Is insurance exspensive & where do you get them serviced?
Cheers Matt

DC51VTC

Advanced Member
Hi Matt,

Your price range may just take you into the DC5 bracket - but only just.

Insurance is not cheap - most companies don't have it on their register and those that do have it down as Group 20. Check on other threads for more specific advice on where to find it but look north of a grand even if you're over thirty and have plenty of NCB.

Most Honda dealerships are happy to take your money off you to service them but some are more helpful than others when things aren't going right. Again, check other threads for more details.

Welcome to the forum and hope this helps a bit :)

SJ_Skyline

Site Admin
Re: DC5 help

matt b said:
Im looking at maybe importing a DC5! First question will I find one for £14500? Or will I struggle?
Is insurance exspensive & where do you get them serviced?
Cheers Matt

First off,

Welcome aboard Matt :)

At £14500 you should be able to find a 2nd hand ar Y/51 plate. There are a number of importers around the country.

Insurance IS expensive, have a look at some of the threads in the insurance room The car is Group 20 and is only touched by a few insurance companies - Tesco being one, and as such is expensive to insure. Expect quotes > £1000. As a yardstick, I am 30 and pay £1700 for myself and Mrs SJ.

I get mine serviced by my local Honda dealer. I guess it all depends on how they want to deal with you, as a paying customer or as someone who has imported....

matt b

Advanced Member
ok thanks guys :p

Hmmmmm group 20 :cry: im only 21! Could be a struggle :lol: :lol:
Currently own a modded EP3 Type R and was wanted somthing a little more exclusive! Maybe I should look towards a DC2? How do these compare with the EP3 in terms of performance and cornering?

FunkyProduct

Advanced Member
Wow, I feel lucky mine only cost £820. I have a policy on my FTO with A-Plan ( "Classic Mazda" - no idea why it's called that??? ) and they mirrored that plan ( and NCB ) onto a new policy for the DC5. FTO costs me £770, the Teg £820. Nice(ish)

Caroline

God yer insurance is expensive enough. I thought insurance over here in irland was terrible compared to yours but its not that bad. I am paying €2200 fully comp on my DC5 and I am 22 with 3years NCB. Thats about £1500. Last year I paid €1000 third party fire and theft on the FTO which is about £690.

@funky products - do you have an FTO and a DC5 too???? Bought a cool yolk off you for my boyfriends FTO last year to fill in the gap in under the radio but didn't realise you had one too!!!!

FunkyProduct

Advanced Member
yup, got a DC5 and an FTO... also got a run-about Civic hatch and a Celica GT4 which is up for sale... tooooo many cars!

I agree some Honda agents are good especially Steels who understand the system to check part numbers. Most parts available within 48 hrs, if it has to come from Japan then takes 10 days. I took out an extended warrantee on my y51 / 24,000 miles. Cost £550 for 2 years inc full AA,(Hondacare: Guarantee HN2)
so thats about £200 a year for piece of mind in the event of something major. Not put it to the test yet.

If you import check your car has the "C" pack as these items were optional, HID, auto a/c, privacy glass, rear wiper, folding mirrors.
On price remember you will need a cat 1 alarm £450, I paid 16k but inc cat 1, tax and some small things.
I went to Tesco for insurance, £470 + 95 for protected NC + 17 for legal+ 13 replacement car.

Ok I'm 50 , my son has a DC2 and wanted the DC5 but had to sell his DC2 first, I liked the car so much I went for it, my son said if you cann't live with it I'll buy it off you...... no chance

Caroline

@funkyproducts - do I sense that you are a Jap fan (no more than myself). Still think its so weird that we both have a DC5 and an FTO (and I used to own a civic hatch - but no GT4 I'm afraid!!!!). I dont even know anybody in Ireland that has another DC5??????????

FunkyProduct

Advanced Member
The cars are very similar. If anything I think the DC5 is like a modern day FTO. Since the FTO stopped production in 2000 there's a massive gap in the Mitsi range for a FWD NA car. The FTO was first released in 1994 so that's 10 years ago pretty much - the difference in design between the FTO and the DC5 is evident. It's a logical change :)

Also, they're both FWD NA Coupes and if you like that combination there's a good chance you'll end up owning an FTO and/or an Integra at some point in your life lol

Caroline

I suppose your right, but now that we have the best of the FWD cars outside the door, what comes next??

I am thinking for me possible an RX-8 or an R34 or possibly the new slivia s15. There is one thing for sure (it wont be german!!!!!).

FunkyProduct

Advanced Member
For me.. it'd have to be an Evo 7.

But, you never know what else will be released.... 350z looks awesome...

SJ_Skyline

Site Admin
If you can afford it (and fit one in the garage) then an R34! The R33 is probably faster but its also about another 15cm longer!!

Reckon I can just fit an R34 into the garage but Mrs SJ won't let me have one :roll:

Sat in the RX8 and 350Z at the london motorshow, IMHO I didn't really like the rear pillars in either car - mahoosive blind spots :( But then seeing a Black 350Z on the road... WOW! looked awesome apart from the white bands across the back where the indicators were - should have used black smoked glass :wink:

Caroline

would defo consider an EVO too. Not sure about the 350Z though. I know its a fab looking car but its got a renault engine and the best thing about jap cars is the bloody engine. What was the point in doing that????

@SJ_Skyline - a garage - whats that!!!!!!
R34 is way more good looking than then R33 and personally I would have a preference for 4WD