DC5 Prices 2021 & onwards

James-T

Advanced Member
Welcome - looking forward to seeing the motor. When does it land?

Don't be sorry for pushing up the prices - most of us are happy with that as we're already owners!

carl hammond

Advanced Member
My 2p, firstly hi all - new here :)

I just secured a 2004 pre face-lift red dc5 (I used to have a red ep3 so had to be red for nostalgia reasons) from Japan which will be 18.3k OTR with underseal, all conversions etc through an importer.

It has 47k miles, zero rust, full respray and sits on mugen suspension with mugen MF10s. I looked for ages at everything else (we already have a mint 26k mileage tt6 supra which will be my other daily and a nice forester sti) but I wasn't tempted even by the evos at 18k. A nice r32 gtr is now 30+ too.

I loved driving a vtec ep3 and can't wait for the dc5. For me nothing can tick the same boxes of old jdm sports car that's fun to drive everyday, cheap to maintain and quick enough. These cars give a great driving experience whereas I feel newer cars are just a bit too tame on that front, they have outright speed but that's not where all the fun is. Will post up pics when it lands.

Hope to meet some of you soon, sorry for pushing up the prices!
Welcome to the forum and look forward to a build thread for your car :)

EVO’s and GTR’s are great had both, but they are dull and heavy when you want rawness (on track) with too many driving aids. Hondas offer a very distinct and specific experience which is why I’m struggling to find a replacement and a few of the short list are Elise 111R, Exige and Exige S and an Atom.

Foxx

Welcome - looking forward to seeing the motor. When does it land?

Don't be sorry for pushing up the prices - most of us are happy with that as we're already owners!
Hoping for June pick up :)

Was hard to turn down an evo, would love to have owned one at some point. With the way prices are amongst all this money printing, ended up plucking for the one I wanted to keep for a long time that's still 'reasonably priced'.

Hoping to see some cars at a show this year out on track to hear the sound s before the modding commences.! Maybe see you guys there.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Hoping for June pick up :)

Was hard to turn down an evo, would love to have owned one at some point. With the way prices are amongst all this money printing, ended up plucking for the one I wanted to keep for a long time that's still 'reasonably priced'.

Hoping to see some cars at a show this year out on track to hear the sound s before the modding commences.! Maybe see you guys there.
I am in the south east mate, never go to car shows as cannot stand them nowadays tbh but regularly on track :)

TomWilcock

Inactive Members
Definitely think they are only going to climb, buying one direct from Japan will only get more competitive as the years go buy which will naturally make the UK ones go up in price. Worst case if fuel prices go silly in the coming years theres a whole global market that wants a JDM type R so the cars we have might get exported for a good price, either way i think our money is safe in a JDM car in the next few years.

LiamGTR

Advanced Member
It kills me to think I sold mine for £7k a few years ago! :( What a time to start looking for them again :(

carl hammond

Advanced Member
It kills me to think I sold mine for £7k a few years ago! :( What a time to start looking for them again :(
Never think like that mate you sell at a time for a reason and always just be happy you enjoyed it (that's my thought process). I am more than likely going to be advertising soon and the cars I have been wanting have all gone up so it's happening across the board lol

Mik0

Agreed, I’ve personally imported a few of my cars and it’s not as simple as people expect and my best mate currently runs an import company and regularly keeps me posted on the prices of cars he and I want and/or have had.

Times have changed and with the transition to green/elec cars I can see the prices remaining or even increasing more a bit mainly as people are trying to get to own or have owned and enjoyed certain cars before they become hard to not only obtain but to maintain and run.

Although older petrol and diesel cars will be ok once the law changes to stop new ones being made, who’s to say the price of petrol and diesel won’t slowly increase year on year forcing people to transition over to a greener elec car
I also think that there will be a huge surge in companies that will offer electric motor conversions for popular petrol and diesel cars. Similar to what Charge in Banbury are doing with the old Mustang. Won't be long til electric R32 GTRs and Integras for that matter will be making an appearance lol

carl hammond

Advanced Member
I also think that there will be a huge surge in companies that will offer electric motor conversions for popular petrol and diesel cars. Similar to what Charge in Banbury are doing with the old Mustang. Won't be long til electric R32 GTRs and Integras for that matter will be making an appearance lol
never say never. I remember back in 2008 I saw an LPG converted DC5. I know it was a short lived thing (LPG) and it was the only similar car I saw with the conversion, but it was done. Elec is 100% happening whatever we all want and think of it so it will happen.

I have seen an Old Ferrari 308GTE that's now been converted to Elec as the oem engine gave up.

Mik0

never say never. I remember back in 2008 I saw an LPG converted DC5. I know it was a short lived thing (LPG) and it was the only similar car I saw with the conversion, but it was done. Elec is 100% happening whatever we all want and think of it so it will happen.

I have seen an Old Ferrari 308GTE that's now been converted to Elec as the oem engine gave up.
LPG was an awesome thing, I think it's still quite popular particularly in eastern Europe and Germany.

I'm quite excited for what the future holds with electric, whether it's completely new cars or as I say, conversions, it will be awesome to live in a great transition period because new tech will constantly be coming out and throwing a spanner in the works. Lithium-sulphur batteries or hydrogen fuel-cell tech are some really interesting developments worth following. - it will obviously never fill the gap that ICEs will leave once they become obsolote, at least not for the generations that have had chance to enjoy them, but for future generations that will know no different it's a good thing I suppose,

carl hammond

Advanced Member
LPG was an awesome thing, I think it's still quite popular particularly in eastern Europe and Germany.

I'm quite excited for what the future holds with electric, whether it's completely new cars or as I say, conversions, it will be awesome to live in a great transition period because new tech will constantly be coming out and throwing a spanner in the works. Lithium-sulphur batteries or hydrogen fuel-cell tech are some really interesting developments worth following. - it will obviously never fill the gap that ICEs will leave once they become obsolote, at least not for the generations that have had chance to enjoy them, but for future generations that will know no different it's a good thing I suppose,
Completely agree mate, I think LPG was badly done here (lack of facilities and infrastructure) which also is the case for Elec right now. But if they sort that it could potentially be good in the long term. My friend took a car in part ex for a TVR when he worked there and it had an LPG kit so he took it out before they scrapped it and LPG converted his car for free (aside from a few bits he had to buy specific for the car). The worst part he said was the government kept putting the price up, so what was meant to be a cheap (very cheap alternative) started to get close to the cost of fuel in some places. For example the one near me Petrol was about 98p ltr at the time and LPG crept into the 70's whereas it started out really love (50% less at least).

May have just been the few garages around here but the effort to drive further to get it was pointless for the minimal savings :-(

Elec cars have a great potential, we just need the infrastructure to be able to cope with it, demand and longer journeys :)

Rom

Advanced Member
Wow!

Ive been inactive for years in here, still got my 5 though.

Was chatting at work, people were asking about it. What's its worth etc.

Came here looking for a Js brace, saw this thread. Had no idea they were selling this high! Not looking to sell, but interesting to see. Mines pretty tidy, as someone else said. I like 'having' it. Even if it's only done a few hi dried miles in last few years

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Wiggins

There doesn't seem to any real reason for it to be priced so high. Looks to me like someone's trying to rustle up a bit of covid recover cash!

Tim J

Advanced Member
I will put a slight perspective on it, I was offered an NA-1 NSX-R about 12yrs ago (£38K) being stupid I didn't buy it although it was my best mate selling it and I knew the car :-(. Now that's a 120K car

About 7yrs ago I sold my R33 GTR V-Spec Running a 1000hp NurSPECII R34 Race engine (over 100K spent on the engine), sold that for 18K, a car that looks very similar (colour wheels etc) but is only 500hp sold for 27K a few months back

Dec 2019 my house sold and I had the offer accepted on the new one in Jan, I was watching the Mugen RR prices and a mate was going to secure me one. When Looking then they were 30K ish, I wanted to wait until I had a move date to be sure nothing went wrong, I moved in late July 2020, looked and ofund a Mugen RR but dropped out as they were selling for 80K+.

No I am waiting for lockdowns to ease so I can get out and test drive other things and maybe sell the 5 as half the JDM stuff imo is not worth half what the prices are and the prices are hiked not due to Covid but due to collectors and investors buying them. The high prices DC2's that sold, the NSX-R's and the recent Mugen RR's have all been sold to collectors and investors in Japan, Hong Kong and the USA (one or two have been going to Australia).

Prices have gone mad and I don't see them coming down anytime soon if at all, but the issue is most are priced out, e.g. I wont pay that for a Civic Mugen RR, no way, far more out there for the money, I must have considered the value of mine well below actual value based on what I have seen recently.
So what you're saying Carl, for us to not ask you to pick our lottery numbers :)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Mike9000

Advanced Member
I think the whole car market is crazy right now and I was surprised to see some of the prices recently. DC5's also seem to be all over YouTube, however that is likely to be the searching algorithm responding to my history :rolleyes:

I'm keeping mine, I like owning and driving it even though the MOT lapsed in January and I've not sorted that out yet :eek:

Mike9000

Advanced Member
And another has popped up in my suggested videos, new owner.

They look good value compared to the recent ‘offer’ my wife received from VW -worked out at just over £11k to borrow a Polo for 4 years:eek:

IntegraDan

Advanced Member
Check out this weapon spotted by Torque GT

big money though!

Maclean240489

Check out this weapon spotted by Torque GT

big money though!

i Honestly don't like that. just my oppinion but not for me, the looks kill it.

Foxx

So finally picking the car up on Thursday thanks to the guys at DVLA going on strike for a different reason every week :(

Please can anyone tell me if the standard radio has an aux socket/usb or bluetooth connectivity for spotify from your phone/ anything useful for music. Its a 5 hour drive back to pick it up!

TIA