DC5 Prices 2021 & onwards

Neith

So finally picking the car up on Thursday thanks to the guys at DVLA going on strike for a different reason every week :(

Please can anyone tell me if the standard radio has an aux socket/usb or bluetooth connectivity for spotify from your phone/ anything useful for music. Its a 5 hour drive back to pick it up!

TIA
Which headunit is it? I think there were a couple of options from factory. Mine has the 6CD/Minidisc; definitely doesn't have a front aux or USB. They're pretty ancient headunits so might be worth packing a few CDs for the trip!

Foxx

Which headunit is it? I think there were a couple of options from factory. Mine has the 6CD/Minidisc; definitely doesn't have a front aux or USB. They're pretty ancient headunits so might be worth packing a few CDs for the trip!
Might be this then, its silver with one blue button on the right - cant even see where the cds would go into it :D

Cant make much more out from the pics and the guy I'm dealing with is off for a few days.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Goatwidcoat

Mine has an aftermarket Japanese headunit with no aux or bluetooth (CD/DVD player and hard drive for music) but I use a bluetooth FM transmitter that plugs into the 12v port. Connect your phone to it through bluetooth and tune the radio to the same frequency it is outputting. You can pick them up for around £15 on Amazon and they have USB ports to charge your phone too.

FYI - The FM radio on mine only goes up to 89.9 so most of our radio stations are out of reach.

Lemons

Advanced Member
So finally picking the car up on Thursday thanks to the guys at DVLA going on strike for a different reason every week :(

Please can anyone tell me if the standard radio has an aux socket/usb or bluetooth connectivity for spotify from your phone/ anything useful for music. Its a 5 hour drive back to pick it up!

TIA
FM radio won't work so it might be worth taking a back up, speaker for your phone or even a CD!

PaulDC5

What are peoples views on what the current value of the DC5's are roughly at? I know the second hand car market is currently very strong but the price of some of the DC5s available online seem vastly overpriced. I know a car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it as others have said some of the DC5s on ebay for example have been for sale for a while.

I picked up a 2002 Silver DC5 in March to purely use as a weekend summer car (also own a I30N), imported in 2003 , 2 Uk owners fully undersealed, stacks and stacks of paperwork, its an honest clean example and is currently completly standard. I paid 10k for it which i thought was pretty fair? Looking at ebay though similar cars seem to be up for 12,5k up to 15k! Ill admit i did buy it as a bit of an investment but do intend to use it in the summer months.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
What are peoples views on what the current value of the DC5's are roughly at? I know the second hand car market is currently very strong but the price of some of the DC5s available online seem vastly overpriced. I know a car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it as others have said some of the DC5s on ebay for example have been for sale for a while.

I picked up a 2002 Silver DC5 in March to purely use as a weekend summer car (also own a I30N), imported in 2003 , 2 Uk owners fully undersealed, stacks and stacks of paperwork, its an honest clean example and is currently completly standard. I paid 10k for it which i thought was pretty fair? Looking at ebay though similar cars seem to be up for 12,5k up to 15k! Ill admit i did buy it as a bit of an investment but do intend to use it in the summer months.
Some info here in the following link on the same. All the ones on the likes of eBay have been for sale for months and not budged.

Advertised price isn’t a real “it’s worth it price” as it’s not selling, loads of companies and individuals are trying their luck inflating prices but failing as they are not selling.

Max I have seen a genuine low mileage, facelift, well spec’d sell for was 14.5k

The whole car markets a mess at the moment, Porsches, Nobles, Lotus etc. I’ve been trying to buy a few cars recently but not paying the inflated prices as I think the market will start to drop back again as things go back to normal and people see they are asking too much for cars which are clearly not worth the amounts being asked.

Goatwidcoat

@PaulDC5 First off I love the i30N. Such an underrated car!

I am one of the people willing to pay these silly prices. My criteria was as follows - low mileage (everybody will view this differently, and not neccessarily an issue with these engines), championship white, red interior, C pack, recent import with full underseal and completely stock or as close to stock as possible.

I found mine with DCY and it ticked all of the boxes. Imported Nov 2019 (by them) 1 UK owner and had only covered 800 miles since import and been a garage queen, 59k miles, still reads in KM and limiter in place, champ white, red interior and a C pack. Not a spot of rust on it and all bodywork, badges etc are perfect. A very clean and tidy example that looked like it had just rolled out the factory. This cost me £16,985 in June this year. I was well aware this was top whack but this is a second car for me, will be garage stored and I will only cover around 3k miles a year in it. Although I will use it on track 2-3 times a year, I didn't want one that had a heap of mods because I'm a sucker for keeping something original. I was at Donington a couple of weeks back and in stock form it is still an absolute champ. Only limiting factor was the tyres but the brakes were rock solid with zero fade despite the 27C temperature.

I have always wanted a DC5 and I am only just in the position to be able to finally get one. While I know full well I possibly spent around £4k more than what some would say it is worth, it is perfect for me and I plan on keeping for many years. That said, if I get rid in 5 years and I do lose that extra £4k in value and it never increases during that time, I still see that as a damn good deal and less depreciation than on any other car out there and I will love every second of owning it.

Going back to @carl hammond point about cars not selling, I think some sellers are keeping them on as a constant advertisement to get interest through the door and the next person to import through them. My DC5 is still coming up as for sale through DCY (although it does say deposit taken). Maybe they are all actually sold and at those prices? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224547085713?hash=item34480c9d91:g:UFwAAOSwoVBg~YsO My wife works in recruitment and half the jobs on job pages you see advertised don't exist and it is done to get people on their books for when future jobs come up.

The second hand market is nuts at the moment. My daily is a 3.3 Kia Stinger GT and that has increased in value by £3k since May despite me putting another 3k miles on it in that time. My wife bought a 68 plate base model 1 series last year for £14k and BMW are calling her a year later now offering £15k part ex if she wanted to get a new car, not that she is interested. Everything has gone mental and I don't see it changing until at least spring next year. I got rid of my MX5 for the DC5 that I had for 3 years and put 10k more miles on it and sold it for the exact same as I bought it for 3 years ago. I think it's safe to say that whatever value you think a DC5 is currently worth, you can stick another £2k on top just down to the current situation with the market. Some sucker like me will come along and still pay it haha

Last edited:

carl hammond

Advanced Member

I am one of the people willing to pay these silly prices. My criteria was as follows - low mileage (everybody will view this differently, and not neccessarily an issue with these engines), championship white, red interior, C pack, recent import with full underseal and completely stock or as close to stock as possible.

I found mine with DCY and it ticked all of the boxes. Imported Nov 2019 (by them) 1 UK owner and had only covered 800 miles since import and been a garage queen, 59k miles, still reads in KM and limiter in place, champ white, red interior and a C pack. Not a spot of rust on it and all bodywork, badges etc are perfect. A very clean and tidy example that looked like it had just rolled out the factory. This cost me £16,985 in June this year. I was well aware this was top whack but this is a second car for me, will be garage stored and I will only cover around 3k miles a year in it. Although I will use it on track 2-3 times a year, I didn't want one that had a heap of mods because I'm a sucker for keeping something original. I was at Donington a couple of weeks back and in stock form it is still an absolute champ. Only limiting factor was the tyres but the brakes were rock solid with zero fade despite the 27C temperature.

I have always wanted a DC5 and I am only just in the position to be able to finally get one. While I know full well I possibly spent around £4k more than what some would say it is worth, it is perfect for me and I plan on keeping for many years. That said, if I get rid in 5 years and I do lose that extra £4k in value and it never increases during that time, I still see that as a damn good deal and less depreciation than on any other car out there and I will love every second of owning it.

Going back to @carl hammond point about cars not selling, I think some sellers are keeping them on as a constant advertisement to get interest through the door and the next person to import through them. My DC5 is still coming up as for sale through DCY (although it does say deposit taken). Maybe they are all actually sold and at those prices? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224547085713?hash=item34480c9d91:g:UFwAAOSwoVBg~YsO My wife works in recruitment and half the jobs on job pages you see advertised don't exist and it is done to get people on their books for when future jobs come up.

The second hand market is nuts at the moment. My daily is a 3.3 Kia Stinger GT and that has increased in value by £3k since May despite me putting another 3k miles on it in that time. My wife bought a 68 plate base model 1 series last year for £14k and BMW are calling her a year later now offering £15k part ex if she wanted to get a new car, not that she is interested. Everything has gone mental and I don't see it changing until at least spring next year. I got rid of my MX5 for the DC5 that I had for 3 years and put 10k more miles on it and sold it for the exact same as I bought it for 3 years ago. I think it's safe to say that whatever value you think a DC5 is currently worth, you can stick another £2k on top just down to the current situation with the market. Some sucker like me will come along and still pay it haha
The ones I am on about are private sales not import companies mate, the lotus sellers Will and Jon do what you’re saying with Exiges etc but the DC5’s I am referring too are all privately owned and so not sold and some of the owners have even been posting on Facebook etc asking why and regularly re-linking for others who are looking but they are still not selling.

could not agree more on this “i30N Such an underrated car!”

PaulDC5

Yes the I30N really is a fantastic car. Very very capable handles extremely well and has to be the most specced car from factory that i have ever owned. It literally has everything you would want as standard. My one is in performance blue as well so it really stands out against most of its other competitors. My wife and i had narrowed it down to the new Civic Type R or the I30N but loved the way the I30 looked in performance blue. My DC5 was bought to use in the summer months on the fantastic roads around where i live (live near the NC500) i was just trying to gauge the current market and what people are currently paying.

I am more than happy with my DC5 its not a complete minter but its been well looked after with the correct paperwork to show that. I have absolutely no plans to sell and i do intend to keep it for hopefully as long as possible. It was a car i always wanted when i was younger along with a Golf MK4 R32.

Attachments

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Yes the I30N really is a fantastic car. Very very capable handles extremely well and has to be the most specced car from factory that i have ever owned. It literally has everything you would want as standard. My one is in performance blue as well so it really stands out against most of its other competitors. My wife and i had narrowed it down to the new Civic Type R or the I30N but loved the way the I30 looked in performance blue. My DC5 was bought to use in the summer months on the fantastic roads around where i live (live near the NC500) i was just trying to gauge the current market and what people are currently paying.

I am more than happy with my DC5 its not a complete minter but its been well looked after with the correct paperwork to show that. I have absolutely no plans to sell and i do intend to keep it for hopefully as long as possible. It was a car i always wanted when i was younger along with a Golf MK4 R32.
Mate that I30N is stunning and the colour I love the most, I have been searching recently for a new car and this was on the list so it's nice to see you rate them.

The FK8 I was about to buy but opted against it as there are a lot and I mean a lot of issues with them. Not only so they rust around the windscreen but the earlier (pre 2018) models also have mission sealant in the rear hatch which causes rust to the rear, there have been loads of issues with things breaking, rattles appearing, infotainment issues and so on.

So I went back to look at FD2's, one for sale has 70K on the clock, up for 20K and mmm well drove great BUT looked at the rear arch and a few spots of rust starting, looked across the windscreen (rust showing and bubbling across the whole roofline) no way I would pay that for it, more like 15-16K max as it needs a lot of work to get right.

FK2 was next and have a few in mind as they don't have as many issues as the FK8, but I love the I30N, Mustang GT, M2 and M4 also so going to look at a few as this needs to be a good reliable fun daily as I am looking at some big things for track still and working on a few now with dealers/sellers :)

NC500 is on my list so whatever I buy will be the car I do it in. I was going to do it this week with my friends in the Atom, Mclaren 720s and McLaren Senna but they started it at the weekend and I was away already :-(

s_barker@hotmail.co.uk

I stupidly sold my integra last year and as soon as the boy got it down the road it went back up for sale for 4k more. I got 8k for it as I come down in price with covid being around and people losing their jobs plus it was due an mot and service which I was going to do but that was negotiated hence the lower price.

Really wish I'd have kept it as it was a very clean well cared for example that I got from a fellow member on this forum.

Personally I wouldn't pay anything over 12k for one

carl hammond

Advanced Member
I stupidly sold my integra last year and as soon as the boy got it down the road it went back up for sale for 4k more. I got 8k for it as I come down in price with covid being around and people losing their jobs plus it was due an mot and service which I was going to do but that was negotiated hence the lower price.

Really wish I'd have kept it as it was a very clean well cared for example that I got from a fellow member on this forum.

Never look back in regret mate as you had it, enjoyed it and job done. Covid and Brexit have changed a lot of markets (cars, houses, general shopping the lot) but things will start to return to normal again as life does as a whole.

House prices saw a massive spike due to the stamp duty freeze, I know some people started whacking the prices up to counter it etc but not all. My move was frozen at the start of the pandemic and completed after the first lockdown saving me over 20K in stamp duty (better in my pocket as a nice additional amount to have spare and add to my car funds than spent on an unjustified tax) :)

The car market took a hike due to production stopping (so prices went up as there was less available for the demand), shipping stopping (so prices went up) and so on. Covid along with Brexit have bought with them so many sudden changes things are very different but it's starting to go back to normal now and I think car prices will also as people have less disposable income etc to burn etc.

I am with you on this one "Personally I wouldn't pay anything over 12k for one", the only one I would have paid more for is the Red 14K miles from new one which has lived in an airtight Carcoon Storage System as that's in a league of it's own and more than likely better than any fresh import available at present as to match it will need to be a grade 5.

Last edited:

PaulDC5

Mate that I30N is stunning and the colour I love the most, I have been searching recently for a new car and this was on the list so it's nice to see you rate them.

The FK8 I was about to buy but opted against it as there are a lot and I mean a lot of issues with them. Not only so they rust around the windscreen but the earlier (pre 2018) models also have mission sealant in the rear hatch which causes rust to the rear, there have been loads of issues with things breaking, rattles appearing, infotainment issues and so on.

So I went back to look at FD2's, one for sale has 70K on the clock, up for 20K and mmm well drove great BUT looked at the rear arch and a few spots of rust starting, looked across the windscreen (rust showing and bubbling across the whole roofline) no way I would pay that for it, more like 15-16K max as it needs a lot of work to get right.

FK2 was next and have a few in mind as they don't have as many issues as the FK8, but I love the I30N, Mustang GT, M2 and M4 also so going to look at a few as this needs to be a good reliable fun daily as I am looking at some big things for track still and working on a few now with dealers/sellers :)

NC500 is on my list so whatever I buy will be the car I do it in. I was going to do it this week with my friends in the Atom, Mclaren 720s and McLaren Senna but they started it at the weekend and I was away already :-(
Cheers mate, yeah the colour really makes the car stand out . As i said it really is a peach of a car especially with all the standard equipment you get along with a 5 year warranty. One gripe about it is i find the gearbox a bit notchy the gearbox in my DC5 is actually a lot better. Its not quite as fast as some of the Hyper Hatches (M140i, A45, Golf R ETC) but its more than fast enough for day to day use. I tend to think they are quite rare as well compared to like Golf GTi's Focus ST's. I would defiantly recommend one to anyone looking to buy one.

Yeah the NC500 is a special trip if you can get the weather the roads and scenery are amazing. I have done it twice now once in my friends GTR and the other on a motorcycle. I was actually planning on doing it in the DC5 this summer before i take it off the road for the winter.

PaulDC5

12k seems about right too me. I know people always speculate on what they think particular cars are going to gain value in the future. I bought the DC5 to use and enjoy over the summer months and hopefully with the intention of it holding its value at least if not slightly increase in value. I always keep an eye out on Evo prices as i use to own a Evo X FQ360 and over the last few years they have sky rocketed! Ideally my second car would be a well sorted 9 but trying to find a clean one for under 20k is impossible hence why i opted for a DC5.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Cheers mate, yeah the colour really makes the car stand out . As i said it really is a peach of a car especially with all the standard equipment you get along with a 5 year warranty. One gripe about it is i find the gearbox a bit notchy the gearbox in my DC5 is actually a lot better. Its not quite as fast as some of the Hyper Hatches (M140i, A45, Golf R ETC) but its more than fast enough for day to day use. I tend to think they are quite rare as well compared to like Golf GTi's Focus ST's. I would defiantly recommend one to anyone looking to buy one.

Yeah the NC500 is a special trip if you can get the weather the roads and scenery are amazing. I have done it twice now once in my friends GTR and the other on a motorcycle. I was actually planning on doing it in the DC5 this summer before i take it off the road for the winter.
Yeah not many of the I30N’s around here for sale especially in that colour, but I’m in no rush so holding out whilst looking at all the other cars also lol

Was that an R35 GTR? I’ve yet to drive one hard but had a few GTR’s that I’ve used on and off the track, both were (R33 V-Spec’s and one with an R34 Top Secret Japan built Nur Spec II 1000hp engine I had them do but the gf wants me to get an R35 as she loves the look of it. I’m just a bit unsure of them tbh…

JS_DC5r

Miss my i30n was such a great car but the DC5 was something I always wanted when i was 16/17 and when I had the opportunity to get a fresh import with blue on blue I wasn't going to hesitate. What have you done to your N?

Here's mine before I put it back to standard and sold up

Attachments

PaulDC5

Yeah not many of the I30N’s around here for sale especially in that colour, but I’m in no rush so holding out whilst looking at all the other cars also lol

Was that an R35 GTR? I’ve yet to drive one hard but had a few GTR’s that I’ve used on and off the track, both were (R33 V-Spec’s and one with an R34 Top Secret Japan built Nur Spec II 1000hp engine I had them do but the gf wants me to get an R35 as she loves the look of it. I’m just a bit unsure of them tbh…
Yeah very few about that's why we went for one. Hyundai have just released a facelift version with the option of a DCT box which im kind of wishing i held out and got but cant fault the car i got (apart from the gearbox) 2019 model with 10k on the clock for £22,500.

Yeah R35 it was running 660bhp. It was a really nice car but the running costs were eye watering!

PaulDC5

Miss my i30n was such a great car but the DC5 was something I always wanted when i was 16/17 and when I had the opportunity to get a fresh import with blue on blue I wasn't going to hesitate. What have you done to your N?

Here's mine before I put it back to standard and sold up
Looks nice mate. To be honest we havent done much since we got it my wife drives it most of the time. I have changed the wheels as i wasnt fond of the standard ones, fitted some wind deflectors, mud flaps and also changed out the horrible standard exhaust tips for black Akrapovic tips. The badges were all blacked out and the grill prior to us getting the car as i also think that makes a difference to the looks of the car.

Yeah i was the same wanted a DC5 since i was 17 and thankfully i am in a position to own one while alos having the N. How did you find the N? What did you make of the gearbox?

JS_DC5r

Looks nice mate. To be honest we havent done much since we got it my wife drives it most of the time. I have changed the wheels as i wasnt fond of the standard ones, fitted some wind deflectors, mud flaps and also changed out the horrible standard exhaust tips for black Akrapovic tips. The badges were all blacked out and the grill prior to us getting the car as i also think that makes a difference to the looks of the car.

Yeah i was the same wanted a DC5 since i was 17 and thankfully i am in a position to own one while alos having the N. How did you find the N? What did you make of the gearbox?
I absolutely loved it fantastic car and a perfect all rounder, done a few tracks days at my local track, Kirkistown. It preformed great only let down was the the tyres, PZero's with hyundai mark were awful but once I switched to PS4s was game changing. Would recommend a GPF cheap and great way to give it more grunt.
I was quite lucky with mine, I collected it brand new and I put just under 20k on it, had a few small issues such as minor paint peeling in-between panels and headlights fogging up. Other than that I really couldn't complain with it, on the forums I did see alot giving gearbox and steering rack problems. I personally never had issues with them

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Yeah very few about that's why we went for one. Hyundai have just released a facelift version with the option of a DCT box which im kind of wishing i held out and got but cant fault the car i got (apart from the gearbox) 2019 model with 10k on the clock for £22,500.

Yeah R35 it was running 660bhp. It was a really nice car but the running costs were eye watering!
Oh cool, yeah running costs see eye watering lol but I’ve had them for many years. Mine when being driven carefully was getting max 12mpg on a run and down into the 4’s easily when on throttle lol, so I think the R35 would be better on that front but worse on general servicing as it’s a lot more technical now :-(