DC5 Recall Annoucement

T666YPR

If that washer denotes that the work has been done or if the factory fitted it during manufacture(after knowing of the problem):Then if the date on those pics is correct,the problem was known about well before 22/01/03 - why the delay in the recall? :?:

NZITR

Advanced Member
Maybe they only announce the recall after they have fixed the cars of the owners they could contact. Also perhaps they have fixed cars at while under going regular service.

If I can get in contact with the previous owner of my car maybe we can find out more about the process that has happened.

First steps I would say is to do a quick visual/hand inspection to verify the bracket is not falling off your steering rack and arrange for some longer term measures to ensure the bolts stay put. As for using loctite I'd say you'd want to confirm there isn't steering fluid behind the bolt. The factory locking tabs shouldn't cost much compared to the labour required to install them.

Of couse if your car has the locking tabs installed I'd say you are sweet.

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
Cheers for everyone’s input into this problem :wink:

Now, got to see if I can check mine :idea:

Mike

SJ_Skyline

Site Admin
Checked by hand, locking clip in place and my nuts nice and tight :D

Got it going up on my mates ramps next weekend so I can check properly :)

Erm

Advanced Member
SJ_Skyline said:
my nuts nice and tight :D
you might wanna see a doctor about that mate :shock:

i think this recall has had us all over reacting :)

DC51VTC

Advanced Member
Just a quick note - Had my nuts checked out by Honda today. :shock: All is well and they're as tight as they should be! :D

Rob-DC2

Advanced Member
nice :D

How much did they charge out of intrest?

PS LicklePaulie if your goin the london meet can pop into coventry and meet up and way down if u want?

Rob

Caroline

My car is in that range too. If the washer is there does that mean that its ok. They seem to be as tight as they should be but I am very worried because honda in Ireland dont even know what a DC5 is let alone how to fix/service one.

Any help appreciated
Caroline

NZITR

Advanced Member
Unnamed_warrior said:
I have also got that washer on my car so i am guessing mine is ok..
Got my car on Friday and it has the washer too so I'm thinking it's fine also..

rossi

:cry:
Unfortunately(or should I say happily)I have had my car since August 2002 and it is within the range.
Importantly it was registered in Japan in August 2001.
I am at present holding onto my cheque book.......

DC51VTC

Advanced Member
Rossi, don't worry too much about it but get it checked. As you can see from this thread there are very few (and none that I'm aware of) who have actually been caught out by this defect. Many have the 'washer' on - mine didn't and still came out clean. Peace of mind though has to worth the price of getting someone to check the torque settings of two bolts :)

DC5RK20A

Advanced Member
Guys/gals,

When my car was in an accident back in September and I took it back to Honda to be repaired, my car was just under 4 months old, my chassis number is 2000016 and they changed out the steering gear box, the mechanic told me that it was a defect from the factory. He showed me the old box and how it was loose. Everyone of you may definitely want to look into this. I didn't have to pay anything as it was a dealer recall here in Japan.

Chris

Adz

Advanced Member
Erm.. Cheers Chris..

In what way was it loose when he showed you? I thought the problem was with the tightening of the bolts?..

Adz

DC51VTC

Advanced Member
adz, if the gearing is knackered inside the box it works the holding bolts loose - what you're checking for is the symptom rather than the cure! If the bolts are still tight, the likelihood is that the internal workings are all still in order :)

Adz

Advanced Member
Right.. got it. I had a quick scan through this thread before, so Im kinda tryin to catch up a little here..

So from what your saying.. all these washers that mine and plenty of other peples cars have got on the bolts, mite actually just be disguising the exsitance of the fault..? If the bolts hav'nt moved due to the washer does'nt nessisarly mean that the gearing is'nt knackered??... :cry:

or am i just bein dumb? :oops:

DC51VTC

Advanced Member
No, not dumb, just blind :shock: :lol: :lol:

The washer is an indicator that it has been checked for the fault and found clear. Mine didn't have the washer so I got it checked and mine was also clear - TBH if I'd had the washer, I'd probably still have got it checked for my own peace of mind