DC5 Recall Annoucement

Ken A

Advanced Member
Jimmy if im not mistaken, yours looks like it has one or two marks on the head of the bolts suggesting it would have been done :?:

jimmy_atr

Advanced Member
panic over :lol:

Found the sticker on the rear window - i did check for it but with the tints its unbelieveably hard to see from outside car - can see it rear view mirror though. Also had a closer look under bonnet and it does have a washer on the left nut.

Nice 8)

marcus41

I appear to be a bit thick here, i just bought my DC5 last week and i believe the vin number list you gave was going from latest to oldest. If that is correct i dont believe mine is on it. The number is DC5-1001032. Am i correct in this assumption. I bloody hope so!!
MJ Type-R said:
Guy's

It came to my attention in December that the DC5 is subject to a recall in Japan, I have had to wait until I was able to get hold of the information before posting :idea:

Some Japanese Integra's (or RSX as its' otherwise known) are on a VIN list for potential steering rack centre tie rod bolts coming loose.

So far apparently only 6 cases have been reported.

Those effected vehicles are in the chassis range from:

DC5 10000018 to DC5 1010207 (mine is in this range :cry: )

If yours is effected, you need to have the torque of the two tie-rod mounting bracket bolts checked. These are located on the centre front of the steering gearbox (I will try to get a pic posted later or tomorrow). The torque value should be 69Nm.

Here is the bad news, if any loose bolts are detected the steering gearbox must be replaced :!: (I have yet to check on mine, fingers very crossed that it is ok)

Now, make sure you are sitting down, the estimated cost is £1000 :shock: for a new unit and that’s not including fitting :!:

Now we do have a problem here, as we own import vehicles, so technically we are not covered by any warranty, and Honda UK wont pay for any correction work. I need to get an idea as to how many cars might be affected, i.e. within the chassis range. I believe that the Plant in Japan should pay for the work, as it’s a manufacturing fault. As its steering related, I am hoping that Honda will reconsider, as it would not be good for the Honda name for someone to be involved in an accident here in the UK as a result. Hence before taking this further I need to get an idea of numbers. It would also be helpful, if you can check the torque values yourselves, then I can build up a picture if any racks here in the UK need replacing. I do have other contacts, so if we have to pay out of our own pockets, I might be able to get a bulk order of parts cheaper.

Sorry, but I thought we all had better be aware of this issue.

Mike

dan the man

Advanced Member
just have a look lad, pretty easy to see if u check the thread.

And as far as this forum goes noone has had to have them done so far

weggy

Advanced Member
I heard about this from Richie when I took myine in for a service and he thinks that mine had already been done as there where locking caps on the offending nuts so it may be worth just seeing if yours has been done in japan before it was shipped especially those who have only just purchased there car. As there may not be any cause for alarm

Just for info I got mine in dec 05

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Went down ADH Southampton and they've got in touch with Honda UK to find out a flat rate for the job (ie how long it takes) and also how the hell to do it :lol:

Duncs

you just need to check the nuts on the rack, lean right over the engine and have a look, they should have a 'slotted cap' on them if they have then they are ok,

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
I can't quite see fully. It appears as if there is a washer thingy behind them with a small bit that sticks out from it.

Is that what you mean?

Davey

just checked mine, always wondered what that sticker was in the back window and iv got the strange washer on, thats a relief!! :D

Wardy7

Advanced Member
Davey said:
just checked mine, always wondered what that sticker was in the back window and iv got the strange washer on, thats a relief!! :D
It's a little round blue sticker ain't it?

Cheers
Wardy

matt b

Advanced Member
:shock: onto my 2nd teg and only just seen this post!

Iv got an oval sticker in my back window with japanise writing on it, but no 1009 numbers? Is this sticker on the inside or the outside?

Had a look under the bonnet just now with a tourch, iv got a cap type thing with a long tag that comes off it behind the left bolt if that makes sense? But only on the left bolt?

Please tell me this sounds like everyone elses :? :?:

carfiend

Advanced Member
The stick is on the inside and his about 1 1/2 cm in diametre. The oval one on the outside is to do with the warrenty or something.