DC5 Weight saving

Fez

Advanced Member
cameron1589 said:
Any ideas on battery weights? I'm sure you can get some performance ones at 5/7kgs. Unsure what a standard battery weight is?
Just weighed mine, 9.8kg.

Cant believe i hadnt weighed it 😅 I'll add it to the list now.

Fez

Advanced Member
Snowbeard said:
i think that wheel weight should be lbs mate, there's no way a 17in oem wheel and tyre weighs 19.5kg!

19.5lbs is 8.8kg which would be about right.
I just weighed a federal 595rsr 225/45 17, with about 3mm left on it and it was 11.3kg.

big-pete

Advanced Member
spooke said:
It's all about a full interior'd "track" car :D :D
with AC

how about carbon? not cheap but if you wanted to keep looking OEM Seibon do alot of lovely carbon at completely reasonable prices(£2600ish for doors) that will save some weight.

RE Battery- Liteblox are some of the best batterys ive ever seen, especially at the retarded weights- 1.3KG for the lightest one!! again really reasonable on price- 700quid, but thats an 8Kg saving xrofl

bar all this- fill the tyres with helium to save some weight, and run it on half a tank of fuel.

spooke

Advanced Member
big-pete said:
with AC

how about carbon? not cheap but if you wanted to keep looking OEM Seibon do alot of lovely carbon at completely reasonable prices(£2600ish for doors) that will save some weight.

RE Battery- Liteblox are some of the best batterys ive ever seen, especially at the retarded weights- 1.3KG for the lightest one!! again really reasonable on price- 700quid, but thats an 8Kg saving xrofl

bar all this- fill the tyres with helium to save some weight, and run it on half a tank of fuel.
Yeah you can't beat some AC on a hot track day :xaiweb5:

I wonder how much weight is saved with Carbon doors, a bonnet isn't much lighter but with plastic windows you'd probably save a fair bit.

Fez

Advanced Member
spooke said:
Yeah you can't beat some AC on a hot track day :xaiweb5:

I wonder how much weight is saved with Carbon doors, a bonnet isn't much lighter but with plastic windows you'd probably save a fair bit.
Pretty sure my a/c switches off in vtec lol.
I'll be keeping my a/c as it is good on road trips, but unfortunatly its one of the heaviest single items you can remove, and from the front.
Im not sure on oem window weights but from what i've read on polycarb windows they are usually half the weight of oem. So side windows wont be huge difference, but rear window would be a good chunk i'd imagine.

big-pete

Advanced Member
Fez said:
Pretty sure my a/c switches off in vtec lol.
I'll be keeping my a/c as it is good on road trips, but unfortunatly its one of the heaviest single items you can remove, and from the front.
Im not sure on oem window weights but from what i've read on polycarb windows they are usually half the weight of oem. So side windows wont be huge difference, but rear window would be a good chunk i'd imagine.
poly windows are sick, BUT its not just the window that goes its all the mechanism etc that goes, so all the motor etc ergo extra saving.

as to doors- there pretty weighty by teg standards- the inner skin is fairly thick to save weight in the cross brace department. so get some carbon ones, with poly windows for max weight saving.

but as above- get rid of AC its less rotating mass and it weighs a fair bit.

Fez

Advanced Member
big-pete said:
poly windows are sick, BUT its not just the window that goes its all the mechanism etc that goes, so all the motor etc ergo extra saving.

as to doors- there pretty weighty by teg standards- the inner skin is fairly thick to save weight in the cross brace department. so get some carbon ones, with poly windows for max weight saving.

but as above- get rid of AC its less rotating mass and it weighs a fair bit.
Forgot about the motors too lol. I weighed my ek ones before and they were 1.9kgs each. But i guess if you were getting polycarb you'd have full cage so the doors would be gutted also.

The a/c is on a clutch so when the belt is turning the pulley theres no resistance, so you wont be losing any power unless the a/c is on.

Mudgey

Advanced Member
Going back to the battery for a moment, my Odyssey PC680 battery weighs in at 5.5kg for the DC5, and I expect the new billet tray weighs as much as the old steel unit.

That's approx. 4.5kg of savings to be had.

I've got all my AC stuff apart from the evap core out. I can weigh everything to give some definite weights.

cameron1589

Mudgey said:
Going back to the battery for a moment, my Odyssey PC680 battery weighs in at 5.5kg for the DC5, and I expect the new billet tray weighs as much as the old steel unit.

That's approx. 4.5kg of savings to be had.

I've got all my AC stuff apart from the evap core out. I can weigh everything to give some definite weights.
How do you find the Odyssey PC680? Reliable? Enough power to crank it even on cold mornings?

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
ollieh17 said:
8.8KG for a wheel and tyre is seriously light. A light weight 15" wheel and tyre would struggle to match that
My tc105n and AD08r come in at a fraction over 17kg per corner.

Tyres are 10.5kg of that! So 8.8kg does sound 'too' light

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Fez

Advanced Member
Mudgey said:
That would be great if you could. I'm very tempted to pull mine out as its the single heaviest item left probably, along with passenger seat.

Mudgey

Advanced Member
cameron1589 said:
How do you find the Odyssey PC680? Reliable? Enough power to crank it even on cold mornings?
I haven't tried it yet, saying that I had an even smaller battery on my Supercharged K20 Prelude, and that did struggle a little bit on cold mornings. This battery being bigger, and with greater CCA's should be better.

Fez said:
That would be great if you could. I'm very tempted to pull mine out as its the single heaviest item left probably, along with passenger seat.
Yea, will do when I'm back in work. Let me know if you do take it out as I've made a billet air con blank for the firewall, its made from 6mm thick aluminium with an O-Ring so when bolted up it is fully sealed. I can supply them in anodised black or bare aluminium so you can paint it body colour.

big-pete

Advanced Member
RE batterys= Liteblox- 1.3Kg per battery, and will crank in any temp/climate/condition. and can be mounted anywhere. (ok there 700quid but still)

Fez

Advanced Member
Few more weights added, including quite a big disappointment.. the carpet, I don't know why I expected it to be heavy but I expected much more than 4.3kgs.

cam87

what about the standard exhaust back box and b pipe? These always weight quite a bit, would be interesting to see the difference between oem and the spoon catback as the back box is only 3.5kg on them

Mudgey

Advanced Member
Ok, so got my DC5 weighed on a weight bridge at the local scrappy (I imagine these are calibrated?) and the DC5 came in at 1140kg with half a tank of fuel.

Items changed but otherwise stock:

Odyssey PC680 Battery - works absolutely fine and you wouldnt be able to tell the difference over the stock battery.
AC Removed.
Power steering removed and CTR electric fitted.
K-Tuned alt relocate kit - no heavy auto belt tensioner etc.
4-2-1 1320 SS header. This saved 8kg alone over the original header.

The plan is to get it below 1100kg but without sacrificing anything? Another 40kg saving is a big ask without going stupid, any small things that could be done?

Fez

Advanced Member
cam87 said:
what about the standard exhaust back box and b pipe? These always weight quite a bit, would be interesting to see the difference between oem and the spoon catback as the back box is only 3.5kg on them
I'll weigh them next time i get a chance 👍🏻