DC5 Weight saving

Fez

Advanced Member
Mudgey said:
Ok, so got my DC5 weighed on a weight bridge at the local scrappy (I imagine these are calibrated?) and the DC5 came in at 1140kg with half a tank of fuel.

Items changed but otherwise stock:

Odyssey PC680 Battery - works absolutely fine and you wouldnt be able to tell the difference over the stock battery.
AC Removed.
Power steering removed and CTR electric fitted.
K-Tuned alt relocate kit - no heavy auto belt tensioner etc.
4-2-1 1320 SS header. This saved 8kg alone over the original header.

The plan is to get it below 1100kg but without sacrificing anything? Another 40kg saving is a big ask without going stupid, any small things that could be done?
Problem i found is that everything in the dc5 on its own is light, so you have to remove quite a bit to make a difference.
Coilovers, lighter wheels and bucket seats are probably best bet.
My new wheels were 12kgs lighter than my rotas and my seats were 9/10kgs lighter each. So thats ~32kgs there, i've not weighed my coilovers but they were a fair bit lighter than oem shocks/springs.

Mudgey

Advanced Member
Cheers, I have been considering some fixed buckets and fixed rails to get the weight down, I think this is one of the biggest single areas of savings on the car.
I will keep the original wheels and am considering remaking some steel stuff in alloy.

Some ideas at the moment:

Front engine mount in alloy - approx 0.8kg saving.

Rear LCA's - ive heard 2kg quoted.

Front discs with alloy disc bells - should be about 1kg or so.

Seats - as mentioned above - 18-20kg

remove lower section of rear seat - must be a couple kg there.

Rear seat belts must be a kg or so.

That should be 23-24kg so far.

Fez

Advanced Member
Mudgey said:
Cheers, I have been considering some fixed buckets and fixed rails to get the weight down, I think this is one of the biggest single areas of savings on the car.
I will keep the original wheels and am considering remaking some steel stuff in alloy.

Some ideas at the moment:

Front engine mount in alloy - approx 0.8kg saving.

Rear LCA's - ive heard 2kg quoted.

Front discs with alloy disc bells - should be about 1kg or so.

Seats - as mentioned above - 18-20kg

remove lower section of rear seat - must be a couple kg there.

Rear seat belts must be a kg or so.

That should be 23-24kg so far.
Look at the first post of this thread, all the weights are there. That should help you decided lol

Mudgey

Advanced Member
Cheers Fez, must have looked at the beginning of the thread but have no recollection lol

big-pete

Advanced Member
Are there any aftermarket parts that people want/need a weight for?

I weighed some of the ultra light flys to find out the lightest- (These weights where measured on the actual item using a pretty acurate scale- but it could be that manufactureres change designs/materials so weight could change.)

Competition Clutch Ultra Lightweight Flywheel (5KG) - Honda K-Series = 4.035KG

ACT Prolite- 3.545Kg

Exedy Racing HF02 - 4.15KG

If anyone wants me to weigh other things drop me a PM

Fez

Advanced Member
big-pete said:
Are there any aftermarket parts that people want/need a weight for?

I weighed some of the ultra light flys to find out the lightest- (These weights where measured on the actual item using a pretty acurate scale- but it could be that manufactureres change designs/materials so weight could change.)
Competition Clutch Ultra Lightweight Flywheel (5KG) - Honda K-Series = 4.035KG ACT Prolite- 3.545Kg Exedy Racing HF02 - 4.15KG

If anyone wants me to weigh other things drop me a PM
Ill add the on :)
Weigh everything and put the weights here 😂

Fez

Advanced Member
Few more weights added

Also, as im currently cleaning mine up, getting rid of rust etc, i have taken off most of the original underseal, the aftermarket underseal, and seam sealer, i‘ve still yet to do the middle of the car but i‘ve swept up just over 14kgs so far 😂

Fez

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
Rear Harness Bar
4.8kg's

Mugen Rear Mid BRace
2kg's
Ill add them now, the genuine mugen brace is 300g‘s heavier than my ebay rep 😅

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Ill add them now, the genuine mugen brace is 300g‘s heavier than my ebay rep
Just rounded it up mate as that was the total weight for one I shipped out with the bolts and trim etc, bar is same as the rep so 1.6-1.7kg's, then 4 bolts and trim

Mugen Rear Mid Brace (alone without fittings) 1.7kg
Honda Cargo net is adding is around 5g's (max)
Fujitsibu RM01'A with all fittings, bolts, gaskets - 8.8kg (some sites say 9.5kg I believe this is with packaging as I checked mine before fitting and it was 8.8kgs)
OEM Honda Catback system - 14.1kg

carl hammond

Advanced Member
I got bored so put everything in groups, interior, exterior etc.
This is a great thread mate

Did you update the Mugen one?
Mugen Rear Mid Brace (alone without fittings) 1.7kg - The 2KG was with everything and packaged for sending (rounded it up)

also

Honda Cargo net is around 5g's fitted with fixtures etc