Dc5 wheels

stu69er

Has any one ever fitted a 18x9 265 tyre and got it to work.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

stu69er

No it's no April fool q. I can get 265/660/18 slicks for like 160 full set. I know guys have ran 245 so just wanted to see if 264 would be possible as would save me a fortune on tyre

stu69er

dave7368 said:
18x10.5 with a 275 tyre on mine,

little bit of arch work required..
Any pics bud and what arch work was needed, liwlke rolled arch or more. Thanks

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
If you are on standard arches. No chance.

I'm on 8.5J et30 front, that's tight.
Et37 7.5j rear, that's tighter.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

carl hammond

Advanced Member
stu69er said:
Any pics bud and what arch work was needed, liwlke rolled arch or more. Thanks

He has a full m&m widearch body kitted car.

In order to run those you‘re talking a lot of work, aside from the price of tyres any other reason for wanting to do this?

So you honestly think you‘ll go through enough tyres in a year to warrant the amount of work? If it‘s a race car (actually compete then fair enough, although I know people who compete and still haven‘t gone to that extent).

18‘s will ruin the drivability by the way

Mebz

Advanced Member
stu69er said:
No it's no April fool q. I can get 265/660/18 slicks for like 160 full set. I know guys have ran 245 so just wanted to see if 264 would be possible as would save me a fortune on tyre

You thought about about using the slicks from clio cup? Think they similar to a 235 tyre. 17 inch.

stu69er

Yes guys its a full on race car, should have mentioned that. No I didn't know the clio Cup tyres but thanks will have a look. Just looking info and ideas thanks.

abbey132

carl hammond said:
He has a full m&m widearch body kitted car.
In order to run those you‘re talking a lot of work, aside from the price of tyres any other reason for wanting to do this?
So you honestly think you‘ll go through enough tyres in a year to warrant the amount of work? If it‘s a race car (actually compete then fair enough, although I know people who compete and still haven‘t gone to that extent).
18‘s will ruin the drivability by the way
How does 18's "ruin the drivability" as you say. Have you tried 18's on a DC5? I use 17 and 18 on and off track and really dont notice any difference

carl hammond

Advanced Member
How does 18's "ruin the drivability" as you say. Have you tried 18's on a DC5? I use 17 and 18 on and off track and really dont notice any difference
I have and hated it, more unstable (imo) and the feedback (for me felt less). A larger wheel results in slower acceleration (not ideal on a track car).

If you want faster acceleration you want to drop the wheel size (to a 16 or even a 15 where possible), I only know of one 15" wheel that clears the Brembo's but the only and main downside is that they look so small on the DC5, that said faster acceleration and cheaper tyres are good results (especially when you're in the car and can't see how small they look anyway)

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Yes guys its a full on race car, should have mentioned that. No I didn't know the clio Cup tyres but thanks will have a look. Just looking info and ideas thanks.

Without major work to the rear arches (all depending on your geo and setup) I think the max you'd get is a much lower number than you plan, maybe a 235/245. Are you looking to run the same squared setup or staggered front to rear ?

You could speak to the likes of TGM and see what they have done in the past and maybe look at a wide fender kit and have the metal work cut to fit your requirements, what series would you be racing in (uk based of not)?

Mebz

Advanced Member
I've been looking at the clio cup 17 inch slicks.

My car is not set up to get the maximum out them but simple maths make them appealing. A set of ar1 or r888r will set you back £600.00 where as a set of used slicks will be around 2 to 300.

235/40/17 on an 8j et45/40 wheel with the right camper settings (-1.5/2) should fit with no issues.

But then I guess you have to think about the knock on effect. You'll be putting more stress on suspension components, will they wear out quicker?

Meh, you only live once, try it, if doesn't work who cares, ebay to the rescue.

Mebz

Advanced Member
And more importantly, race car you say.... get a build thread going or at least some pics.

Who doesn't like a race car

carl hammond

Advanced Member
I've been looking at the clio cup 17 inch slicks.

My car is not set up to get the maximum out them but simple maths make them appealing. A set of ar1 or r888r will set you back £600.00 where as a set of used slicks will be around 2 to 300.

235/40/17 on an 8j et45/40 wheel with the right camper settings (-1.5/2) should fit with no issues.

But then I guess you have to think about the knock on effect. You'll be putting more stress on suspension components, will they wear out quicker?

Meh, you only live once, try it, if doesn't work who cares, ebay to the rescue.
Hi mate I hope you are well (through this odd times), do you like me only do trackdays in your's are you competing?

Only reason I ask is that a lot of trackday organisers don't allow cars on slicks so was wondering how you get to use them and where (if you have or will be) as even my friends who complete use the likes or the AR1's and R888R's like me/us.

Mebz

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
Hi mate I hope you are well (through this odd times), do you like me only do trackdays in your's are you competing?

Only reason I ask is that a lot of trackday organisers don't allow cars on slicks so was wondering how you get to use them and where (if you have or will be) as even my friends who complete use the likes or the AR1's and R888R's like me/us.
All good thanks mate. Hope you are well to. More importantly, I hope you've bought that damn house of yours so you can show us all how to mod DC5's properly .

Mines a weekend / trackday car. I don't compete (not quick enough), just enjoy driving around in circles on track at my own pace.

My objective this year was to do 1 track day a month, I was on target and reasonably booked up but covid has meant cancellations.

Every trackday I've been on, there are plenty of cars running slicks. A few organisers say you need a cage but I've never seen it enforced.

I've got two set of wheels anyway. Ps4 on one set and ad08r on another.

I'm killing my ad08r's, then its decision time, ar1/r888r or slicks. Most likely will be ar1 I reckon, that's only because I think the ar1 tread pattern is beautiful.....

stu69er

I will have to get some pics up for yal to see. I'm building it for the Irish touring car championship, so slicks are OK. Yes I was looking at ar1 but after talking to a few guys running slicks they said mayb 2sec a lap slower. Not looking to change fender at the min it's my first track build so alot to do just to get on the track.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
All good thanks mate. Hope you are well to. More importantly, I hope you've bought that damn house of yours so you can show us all how to mod DC5's properly .

Mines a weekend / trackday car. I don't compete (not quick enough), just enjoy driving around in circles on track at my own pace.

My objective this year was to do 1 track day a month, I was on target and reasonably booked up but covid has meant cancellations.

Every trackday I've been on, there are plenty of cars running slicks. A few organisers say you need a cage but I've never seen it enforced.

I've got two set of wheels anyway. Ps4 on one set and ad08r on another.

I'm killing my ad08r's, then its decision time, ar1/r888r or slicks. Most likely will be ar1 I reckon, that's only because I think the ar1 tread pattern is beautiful.....
You're the same as me then, currently killing off my AD08R set as well. I had three trackdays planned for March and April (all cancelled) obviously and cannot wait to get out there again.

House - Mines sold and we have bought the new one but the surveryor (for the new house) was stopped from happening due to the lockdown so as soon as we are allowed out again we can get the ball rolling as I still have big plans once I am in (with this DC5 or another one/maybe another car), will decide one I move in as the gf really wants us to get an Exige S for track still....

I prefer the AR1's myself and they will be my next setup and agreed on this "There are plenty of cars running slicks. A few organisers say you need a cage but I've never seen it enforced."

I have yet to see anyone get stopped but need to look into it more as the last thing I ever want is to be turned away :-(

Should have been at snetterton today
Grrrrr, this is not good mate, know and feel your pain with the three I had palnned. I wanted to get a min for 10 in this year :-(, be lucky to get 3 now mainly due to house move that's paused.... Worse was we are meant to be going to Florida on May 2nd and still waiting for it to be cancelled so we can have a refund and rebook.