Decisions

ChampWhite5

Hi all,

Quite new to the forum. Been wanting a DC5 for as long as I can remember.

Ive been put into contact with someone who is selling one quite cheap (£5250). He's been quite honest about the car saying the arches are showing signs of rust and a few other isolated areas, but the car is well looked after. Has a few mods done to the car, Hybrid racing shifter and Regu exhaust? Plus a few other little things.

I have the facilities (garage, lift, welder etc) to take the car on as a project.

Now my current dilemma is do I take this car on and do a bare shell, chop the rot and rebuild project or pay more for a fresher rust free example?

How much are rust free examples selling for in the current market? Is there anyone on here who has done similar rust repair work to their DC5 and has a rough idea on costs?

Apologies for the questions. Im quite new to the Jap scene but have played with classic cars for many years.

Thanks.

VtecPaul

Advanced Member
That sounds VERY cheap. I’d expect it to be a mess tbh.
a fresh import will set you back between £12-14k now I think, more for a decent one. I see several for sale adverts for clean cars anywhere £10k upwards depending on spec, mileage, PFL/FL etc.

will be up to you based on condition but for £5k odd I’m surprised it’s not being broken for parts as its probably worth more that way.

Flevondov

It’s hard to make a non mint one into a minter If that makes sense
If you don’t buy it I’d be interested as a parts car to tidy mine up haha
07541385977 is my number thanks

badman9

Hi all,

Quite new to the forum. Been wanting a DC5 for as long as I can remember.

Ive been put into contact with someone who is selling one quite cheap (£5250). He's been quite honest about the car saying the arches are showing signs of rust and a few other isolated areas, but the car is well looked after. Has a few mods done to the car, Hybrid racing shifter and Regu exhaust? Plus a few other little things.

I have the facilities (garage, lift, welder etc) to take the car on as a project.

Now my current dilemma is do I take this car on and do a bare shell, chop the rot and rebuild project or pay more for a fresher rust free example?

How much are rust free examples selling for in the current market? Is there anyone on here who has done similar rust repair work to their DC5 and has a rough idea on costs?

Apologies for the questions. Im quite new to the Jap scene but have played with classic cars for many years.

Thanks.
I was in a similar position to you. Bought what was probaby the cheapest DC5R in Jamaica last year. My main thing was that I didn't want to do any engine rebuild, and I didn't want to do a gearbox teardown. Both of those were good on my test drive, so I decided to take the plunge.

It needed A LOT of odds and ends, previous owner really didn't maintain things, and the body is still not ideal, clearly had some dodgy front bumper and front bonnet repairs in the past, windshield was leaking water when it rained etc.
Big ticket items were
new clutch, pressure plate, flywheel
new radiator
needed to remove some crap ebay coilovers and replace with OEM
A LOT of exhaust work

A LOT of other odds and ends were done but i don't bore you with the list. Basically, I probably spent as much as I saved by buying a "better" DC5R, but then again, I know what parts are brand new / changed used for good things, and I know where I'm at with them.
I could have spent about 3000gbp more, but then again, probably would have still needed to work on it.

I haven't done any body work though and it isn't in the plans or budget for right now, maybe next year, but my DC5R finally drives like it should about 9 months later.

My take, IF engine is good, IF gearbox is good, IF you have the skill to work on it yourself/a mech who works cheap and well, you can go for it. 7000 gbp or more difference between the one for sale and an imported one can pay for A LOT of parts, and get you mechanically refreshed (assuming you don't need to tear down engine etc)

I would say, consider it IF you are not out of your depth.

And let us know!