Delrin bush install

wocka

Advanced Member
Hello dc5‘ers

Welcome to my guide on installing the bushes from the group buy. It‘s pretty straight forward. The hardest part I think is removing the old plastic bush with minimal swearing

Here‘s what you should have in your package

If you do not have all these items then contact me via pm

Tools list

14mm spanner
Long nose pliers
Flat blade screwdriver

1. Start buy removing your gear knob, if you still have oem on you will have a locking nut, remove this with the 14mm spanner, mine is aftermarket but I still fitted a new Honda locking nut

Loosen my turning the nut clockwise then unscrew the gear knob anti clockwise followed by the locking nut

Sorry no pics of this

2. Get your flat blade screwdriver and look for the little cut out in the plastic cover where the 12v output is

Pry this out so the top right corner comes out

Now pull the left top out

Now with some wiggling pull the bottom out in one go, don‘t pull too hard because you need to unplug the 12v, this just pulls off

3. Now get the top right hand corner where the cup holders are, pull that up and then the left

Once that part is up, work your way around pulling the rest of that trim off. It goes around the gear stick

4. Now we have access to the shifter and cables. Start by removing the split pins where each cable is

You can see my bush in 30 pieces here lol this is why it was so bad

5. Let‘s start on the left cable where the plastic arm is, push/pull out the pin holding the cable in to place

Pull the cable upwards out of the arm, now you can see the white plastic bush

Twist the round bush inside 90 degrees, use a screwdriver if you need to, the round parts should be sticking out each side of the bush. Then push it out

This bit was a pain, I had to break it out using a screwdriver and breaking it bit by bit until i could get it out, just take your time

Now push in the bigger bush out the 3, it‘s a good fit but will go in. Fit it on the right hand side

Now get the pin you removed and clean it up to get any bits or dirt from it, these are a tight fit and I used my long nose pliers to push it in, make note that it only goes in like this with the flat edges at the sides

Now for your new R clip, these are much better than the split pins

6. Now on to the second cable, remove the washer and pull the cable off the pin, this was the bush that was no existent on mine so I can‘t comment on how it comes out

Grab your 2 left over washers and turn them over like this, you can see one has a small recess. You need to fit this one first, remember to clean your pin up too

These are tight on the pin again so use your pliers to pull them on

Now fit your cable, or fit your 2nd bush into the cable on push it on to the pin, again use your pliers if you need too

Fit your new R clip and your done, take a look at how much the bushes have reduced the play and then refit your plastics

Go for a drive and enjoy what it should have felt like from factory

Any questions drop me a pm or message on facebook

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moody_mage

Great guide. Any thoughts on how to reduce the side to side play from the bracket the left cable attaches to?

wocka

Advanced Member
moody_mage said:
Great guide. Any thoughts on how to reduce the side to side play from the bracket the left cable attaches to?
I am going to look into this, only way so far without a shifter change is the k tuned shifter arm, £125 I think it is

MikeH89

Good guide mate, do you know roughly how long it takes for the bushings to come through after ordering?

wocka

Advanced Member
MikeH89 said:
Good guide mate, do you know roughly how long it takes for the bushings to come through after ordering?
When did you pay mate? I can ask dan when he posted them

MikeH89

wocka said:
When did you pay mate? I can ask dan when he posted them

It was only a couple of days ago, I'm not expecting them quickly, just wondering how long they take to make and post :)

wocka

Advanced Member
He has loads made and I‘m sure he‘s posted the ones out who‘s paid 2nd class. What‘s your PayPal name etc and I will check :)

MikeH89

Just fitted these today, my bushings were in exactly the same condition as Wocka's so these have made the world of difference, recommended!

Little tip for anyone fitting them, you can use pliers to push them into the cable ends, but I used a nut and bolt with washers, put the bushings where they need to be, bolt with washer through the bushing and cable end, nut and washer on the other end and tighten it up, the bushes will slide straight into the cable without you chewing the edges at all.

wocka

Advanced Member
MikeH89 said:
Just fitted these today, my bushings were in exactly the same condition as Wocka's so these have made the world of difference, recommended!

Little tip for anyone fitting them, you can use pliers to push them into the cable ends, but I used a nut and bolt with washers, put the bushings where they need to be, bolt with washer through the bushing and cable end, nut and washer on the other end and tighten it up, the bushes will slide straight into the cable without you chewing the edges at all.
Great idea, wish I had thought of that

Dan has also made a delrin bush for the plastic oem arm, group buy will be available soon

bennn

Advanced Member
wocka said:
Great idea, wish I had thought of that

Dan has also made a delrin bush for the plastic oem arm, group buy will be available soon

Be good if he could do a slightly stiffer replacement spring too! Mine needs replacing!

Crackfox

Advanced Member
Just done mine. 17 mins easy job. I just squeezed them by hand.

The disappointing side is it has stopped the play in my gear stick. Seems to be coming from the one underneath.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

wocka

Advanced Member
Crackfox said:

The disappointing side is it has stopped the play in my gear stick. Seems to be coming from the one underneath.

It‘s not something he can do, ktuned do a spring though :)

wocka

Advanced Member
Crackfox said:

The one in the plastic arm?

Crackfox

Advanced Member
the play seems to be in in the ball looking bit in the bottom, and in the lower pin on the near side. I'll have a look at the ktuned one.

Either way good, kit, easy to do. Win win

wocka

Advanced Member
Crackfox said:
the play seems to be in in the ball looking bit in the bottom, and in the lower pin on the near side. I'll have a look at the ktuned one.

Either way good, kit, easy to do. Win win
There is another group buy running for a delrin bush for the shifter arm that sits to the left of the cables

Crackfox

Advanced Member
wocka said:
There is another group buy running for a delrin bush for the shifter arm that sits to the left of the cables

Added my name thanks

bmargey

Got these and the one from the other thread on last night. Would have been a quick job but those split pins were a b!tch to get off.

Great guide though! Reduced play in the box a fair bit. Not perfect, but an awesome improvement on a well loved/used, 15yr old shifter. Was weighing up the ktuned arm but probably no need now.

Cheers!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

ste01

Advanced Member
Nice DIY guide. Done mine today 👌

For the outer part of the 2 piece white Bush, rather than use a screw driver to smash it, I pushed in the pliers and spun it around a few times to soften the plastic. Then used a Stanley knife to cut/put a split in it and then bent the split and pulled it out 👍