Disc's & Pads

andyd

Advanced Member
Whats sort of disc's and pads have been tryed and tested?

Are drilled and Grooved or Grooved disc's any good ?

Pads wise, are the DS2500s best all rounder ?

Cheers

Andy

andyd

Advanced Member
Hee hee. i know this gonna sound a little dumb. But how do u heat treat disc's ? Its not some spray on stuff i take it?

Andy

turbo5

Advanced Member
Heat treatment is usually a process which changes the properties of metal.
If you did metal work at school you might remember quenching you chisels or screwdrivers in water or oil.
Carbon steels react differently depending on the temperature you take it to and how you cool for. If you take it up to its upper critical point, red hot bright orange and quench instantly this will make it very hard, but very brittle. disks would shatter. so the temperature and the cooling rate will be decided to give you the best of both worlds harness and toughness.
Other heat treatment of metals include annealing = making the metal as soft as possible. Normalising = bringing the metal back to its original state after its been worked ie putting stress into the metal. Case hardening = putting a chemical compound or carbon into the outer surface of the metal which gives it a very hard outer surface but a tough inner. this is only for a few thousands of an inch. they nitride crankshafts etc. which is basically this but using chemicals.

kingston

Advanced Member
I thought drilled discs where bad due to rigidity or something?

Remember though, more grooves you have then the quicker the brake pad will wear down.

Yes i have been drinking :D

dan the man

Advanced Member
drilled discs differ in 2 ways..

max power discs have been drilled so weaken the metal etc...could crack.

ferrari discs are cast with holes so no weak points-= sweet!

dan

mikegsi

Staff member
i'm gonna be venturing in to this area next year, andy i take it your car must be about ready now?

andyd

Advanced Member
mikegsi said:
i'm gonna be venturing in to this area next year, andy i take it your car must be about ready now?
This week TGM pick her up, so i'm going to sorting the brakes at the same time.

Andy

iDrew

Advanced Member
I have DS2500's on the front with Honda pads on the rear - works fine for me :wink:

I thought one of the problems of drilled discs was to do with the rapid cooling of the area around the holes, causing the disc to crack :?

mikegsi

Staff member
what i'll be after is something good enough for trackdays, but suitable for road use, and wont wear too quickly!

andyd

Advanced Member
mikegsi said:
what i'll be after is something good enough for trackdays, but suitable for road use, and wont wear too quickly!
DS2500's probably be your best bet.

Also how good are OEM disc's compaired to others around for example Mugen .....

Andy

g-zone

Advanced Member
Apex pads on the front. Lots of bite and lasted well on the track. Still plenty of pad left after one trackday and 6 months normal use. No brake fade noticed on the track either. Good stuff, might well buy them again.