Double din nav

NathanW

Might be a little lazy here however I'm brand new to dc5 world, not buying one for another month but planning on buys already. First things first for me because I love my music so need a sound system. I want a double din unit with a nav.

I'm happy buying second hand as I couldn't see any issues with it but I'm no expert. Anybody recommend one thy have or have seen anybody use?

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
What's your budget? The Pioneer headunits are great, there are also Android alternates which are a bit cheaper but have slow CPUs.

NathanW

Chris. said:
What's your budget? The Pioneer headunits are great, there are also Android alternates which are a bit cheaper but have slow CPUs.
Not really got a set budget but anything under £1000 would be what I'm looking at.

I've seen the android Ines and they do look good. Very cheap for a nav unit and ability to play music though, I'm wondering do you have to purchase any data packages or anything like you would do with an iPad?

Completely new to ICE so not sure where to start. A slow cpu wouldn't bother me that much if I'm honest. Just something I can play music over from my phone or Spotify if you can get it on there and obviously Nav

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Something like the Pioneer AVIC-F980DAB would be good, offline maps etc.

Regarding Android units, you either need a data SIM or tether your phone, although you can download offline maps from the app store.

There are ones with proper CPUs rather than the ARM ones which can struggle.

NathanW

Chris. said:
Something like the Pioneer AVIC-F980DAB would be good, offline maps etc.

Regarding Android units, you either need a data SIM or tether your phone, although you can download offline maps from the app store.

There are ones with proper CPUs rather than the ARM ones which can struggle.
I do like the thought of the android if I'm honest. Is there any info on it with regards to tethering phone and using offline maps?

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
It's quite simple, just set your phone up as a Wifi hotspot and then go to wifi settings on the headunit and join the network.

There's lots of offline map options in the play store, but a lot won't get traffic updates etc.

NathanW

Chris. said:
It's quite simple, just set your phone up as a Wifi hotspot and then go to wifi settings on the headunit and join the network.

There's lots of offline map options in the play store, but a lot won't get traffic updates etc.
Ah I've just read a bit more about it and I'm not on a phone plan that allows excessive data usage if I'm honest so probably would use offline maps option.

Traffic isn't much of an issue for me, I don't really drive in rush hour as my weekly job I walk to and only really drive at weekends. I'd always check my phone before driving anyway for traffic it's something I've always done as most in car navs I've had before are awful with traffic

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
You'll have to have a look for offline mapping options then. Don't forget, you'll need wifi access to the headunit to download the apps in the first instance.

NathanW

Chris. said:
You'll have to have a look for offline mapping options then. Don't forget, you'll need wifi access to the headunit to download the apps in the first instance.
From the looks of it it's just an app and a download? Fortunately my car park space is next to the outside wall of my house so should be okay for me I believe.