Double Din

LC5

I have a single din and was looking to get a nice double din screen, was checking out some Pioneer ones, could anyone recommend a good Pioneer or Alphine screen that will fit in nicely without any mods and is quite grown up looking and not too cartoon looking regarding screen graphics ect and possibly cd player too, THANKS! :)

scottj15

Advanced Member
I've recently installed a Pioneer Appradio 2 after a number of recommendations on here and can't speak highly enough of it. If you're an Iphone/Ipod user then it's perfect for controlling a small number of compatible apps straight though the headunit including a web browser, Dash command (brilliant app for OBDII monitoring, logging, timings etc.), music players, navigation apps etc. It does say that its compatible with android phones, but I tried several setups with mine and couldn't get it to work in app mode. So I ended up purchasing a cheap 4th gen ipod and hard wiring it into the car out of sight. This means that as soon as I start the car, all my music, apps etc. are available on my headunit without having to 'faff' about connecting anything. Best bit is, my android phone can still be connected via bluetooth to direct any calls through the handsfree system, so again, no messing about connecting stuff, just get in and drive and its all connected. Graphics are brilliant compared to some of the earlier alpine systems which I remember being very 'blocky'.

Bad points are it's got no cd player, and you will need to source or make your own surround. I made mine out of an old DVD case and can be seen below. It's not 100% perfect but it's pretty close and I'm really pleased with the results.

Some pics:

LC5

Hey man thanks for that, great help. yeah I looked at similar one to that I just like my cds from time to time but don't think any of the pioneer ones that look like this do CD's as its more iPhone orientated which is brilliant like you said

Erm

Advanced Member
get an android phone and a sony double din with mirror link if you want a proper set up :)

Rom

Advanced Member
Im most likely going to pick up the Pioneer AVH X8600, but its not cheap. Only came out March / April. Has already dropped £40 though.

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/pioneer-avh-x8600bt

Its probably a bit much for most people. But i run 3 RCAs, i dont like low volt pre outs. So that kind of limits my choice.
Then it has to be Android, and actually have some decent functionality. Which pretty much rules out most units.

This has Mirror Link, so will basically be a larger version of my phones screen, with all my apps etc on the screen. So i can use Google Maps for my Nav, MixCloud, Pocket Casts, iPlayer, TuneIn etc.
To me, its pointless having a double din, unless i can use it for Nav. Other wise id stick with my single din i have, that i just use via BT to play all the above apps. But this has meant having the phone mounted somewhere.

Erm how come you have to make a surround ? I was under the impression there was facia kit that can be bought ? Maybe for an RSX ?

linh-ej9

Advanced Member
Rom said:
Im most likely going to pick up the Pioneer AVH X8600, but its not cheap. Only came out March / April. Has already dropped £40 though.

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/pioneer-avh-x8600bt

Its probably a bit much for most people. But i run 3 RCAs, i dont like low volt pre outs. So that kind of limits my choice.
Then it has to be Android, and actually have some decent functionality. Which pretty much rules out most units.

This has Mirror Link, so will basically be a larger version of my phones screen, with all my apps etc on the screen. So i can use Google Maps for my Nav, MixCloud, Pocket Casts, iPlayer, TuneIn etc.
To me, its pointless having a double din, unless i can use it for Nav. Other wise id stick with my single din i have, that i just use via BT to play all the above apps. But this has meant having the phone mounted somewhere.

Erm how come you have to make a surround ? I was under the impression there was facia kit that can be bought ? Maybe for an RSX ?
Thats just what i want to get aswell. im holding out to see if the price drops.
before i buy.

Rom

Advanced Member
You on Android ? If you get it before me, let me know how it is!

It will drop, just depends how long i can wait. The 8500 is last years, and is still £400. So i cant see the 8600 dropping under £500 - £480 until the next one is released. The launch of a replacement unit is what normally kills the price.

Im thinking i can sell my 80PRS for a little bit, to offset some cost. Ill use that until i decide to buy it. Assuming the stereo in it will be no use when i pick it up.

linh-ej9

Advanced Member
Yes im on Android. Most likely you will get it before me as im planning to lower the car right away when i pick it up, so funds for a new stereo will have to wait.

si3353

Did anyone buy this then?

I'm looking at buying this now and would be good to know what you guys made of it?