Driveshaft seal question

jown

Advanced Member
Hello,

I am about to replace a leaking seal on my box, I've been told that these need to be changed in pairs or it will heat up or something and the other will bust (bs prob sales pitch) just bought a pair from Tegiwa anyway

Just wondering if I can get away with fitting just the 1

Thanks

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Never had to have mine don't to date etc but imo if you are doing one you may as well do both so they wear at the same rate etc. I always change things in pairs where possible so their durability is the same, also you never know how long the other will last.

2Cent

You don't have to replace all of them and you don't need to open the box for this so replace the one and leave the rest alone. Be very careful removing the seal, it won't be easy. You need leverage but anything metal may damage the aluminum housing.

Perform a careful inspection of the sealing area before you install the new seal, it may be leaking because of a scratch and will leak again with the new seal. I've had this happen and used P1 followed by P3 cutting pastes to polish smooth again.

Grease the OD of the new seal when installing. Moly makes it really easy to install but definitely don't push it in dry.

This is late but hope it still helps!