Electrical Issues - Battery Drain

Vteccin_teg

Advanced Member
Crackfox said:
I only normally use the alarm fob to lock/unlock the car. The Honda remote zapper is filed away with the V5. I only have the manual none zapper key to hand.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
If the alarm is wired Into the central locking which it is as it unlocks and locks via the after market fob. The alarm will still trigger and sound the siren as the alarm itself still has power and is still armed and your still opening/closing the door circuit to trigger it.

All your doing with the fuse is removing the power that triggers the door actuators to push and pull the door pins. This circuit may have a fault.

Chances are either it could be holding a small amount of current and isn't dropping the power after it has triggered the actuator.
Like let's say it needs 12v to trigger, if its holding like 4/5v then it won't trigger the actuator but will still be pulling the current.

Me personally, being an auto electrician. Id rip the alarm out.
Just fit a tracker with remote cutout. That's what I've got on mine.
This day and age if someone wants the car your doors coming off and they're taking the keys rendering the alarm useless anyway.
With remote cut out, Call the tracker or tracker company and it'll isolate your cut out you wired in (normally fuel pump or cranking ignition on the barrell) and thus turn the car off, then the police can recover your car for you aswell).

I paid about 150 for my tracker and 350 for a lifetime policy to watch it)

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Crackfox

Advanced Member
Vteccin_teg said:
If the alarm is wired Into the central locking which it is as it unlocks and locks via the after market fob. The alarm will still trigger and sound the siren as the alarm itself still has power and is still armed and your still opening/closing the door circuit to trigger it.

All your doing with the fuse is removing the power that triggers the door actuators to push and pull the door pins. This circuit may have a fault.

Chances are either it could be holding a small amount of current and isn't dropping the power after it has triggered the actuator.
Like let's say it needs 12v to trigger, if its holding like 4/5v then it won't trigger the actuator but will still be pulling the current.

Me personally, being an auto electrician. Id rip the alarm out.
Just fit a tracker with remote cutout. That's what I've got on mine.
This day and age if someone wants the car your doors coming off and they're taking the keys rendering the alarm useless anyway.
With remote cut out, Call the tracker or tracker company and it'll isolate your cut out you wired in (normally fuel pump or cranking ignition on the barrell) and thus turn the car off, then the police can recover your car for you aswell).

I paid about 150 for my tracker and 350 for a lifetime policy to watch it)

I'll do some digging around. Definitely not ripping out the alarm i only had installed in Sept :xtsk: If they get my door off and get my keys then I get like £20k from the door company so they're welcome to the teg then :)

Vteccin_teg

Advanced Member
Crackfox said:
I'll do some digging around. Definitely not ripping out the alarm i only had installed in Sept :xtsk: If they get my door off and get my keys then I get like £20k from the door company so they're welcome to the teg then :)
Its definitely something to do with the alarm and central locking circuit.
I'd check to see what the door actuator is doing voltage wise when your locking and unlocking it and when the door is locked and alarm is armed.
If it is holding voltage, You could fit a relay on the central locking wire as its needs atleast 9/10v to trigger it and will drop the residual voltage.
I've just asked another auto spark mate and he said same or it could be alarm ecu holding voltage.

Crackfox

Advanced Member
Ok, so just took a look at this and turns out I'm just a moron. So there is a 300mA draw when you first connect the meter, that lasts about a minute. It is also present when opening the doors. So I can only assume while i've been working out there with the door open, or getting in and out cutting materials/getting tools etc, that I've been slowly draining it. I don't know what it is, as i removed the interior light fuse at the start of this job, and it hasn't been back in since.

I also got an email off halfords offering me an extra 20% chargers with my trade card, so i bought a new one. I've been borrowing my olds mans ancient one the last few weeks. When I plugged in the new one, the battery was stuck on 50% full for about 6 hours. I then ran the chargers repair mode, and 4 hours later had 100% full battery. No idea why the battery wasn't charging fully.

So touch wood it was a combination of a couple of things, that I can now manage a little better until this job is finished.

Vteccin_teg

Advanced Member
Crackfox said:
Ok, so just took a look at this and turns out I'm just a moron. So there is a 300mA draw when you first connect the meter, that lasts about a minute. It is also present when opening the doors. So I can only assume while i've been working out there with the door open, or getting in and out cutting materials/getting tools etc, that I've been slowly draining it. I don't know what it is, as i removed the interior light fuse at the start of this job, and it hasn't been back in since.

I also got an email off halfords offering me an extra 20% chargers with my trade card, so i bought a new one. I've been borrowing my olds mans ancient one the last few weeks. When I plugged in the new one, the battery was stuck on 50% full for about 6 hours. I then ran the chargers repair mode, and 4 hours later had 100% full battery. No idea why the battery wasn't charging fully.

So touch wood it was a combination of a couple of things, that I can now manage a little better until this job is finished.
It did sound like a funny issue to be honest. I did think it would be a light of some sort draining it because an alarm wouldn't drain a full brand new battery like that.
I know lights especially filament bulb types can drain a battery in a few hours.

At least its sorted though I suppose lol