Engine rebuild

Crooktattoo

Hi everyone, looking for some advice please. I heard the noise we all don‘t want to hear, my bottom end went! Not sure why as in my short ownership I‘ve looked after it with all the correct stuff and maintained it religiously! Anyway it happened and I suspect being on a fairly high millage might be why.

Anyway, I‘m looking to see if anyone else here has had a rebuild? It wasn‘t a huge knock and turned the car off straight away but a knock is a knock and I‘m guessing with the way the engines are precisely built it‘s gonna be bad no matter what. What‘s the rough sort of price for a bottom end rebuild? Would love to forge but probably go oem given the price difference.

Rambled on way too much just seeking a rough estimate of what it‘s likely to be, who‘s best recomeded (tdi, tgm, clockwise) etc closer to east anglia the better, if anyone has been in the same situation.

Many thanks in advance

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Nightmare mate, gutted for you. :(

Wouldn't know exact figures but I'd say a rebuild, anything from 3-7k depending on what you want and who does it.

I'd get Clockwise to do you a 2.1 high powered NA but it'll be expensive.

Michael Morrison in South Wales could probably do you a basic rebuild for cheaper, but would still be expensive.

Better off looking for another K20A from somewhere tbh.

Crooktattoo

I know mate :(! Nice one thank you I think il give them a message :)! It‘s horrible because I don‘t want to seem like I‘m trying to get it cheap or anything g cos obviously the price is the price isn‘t it and can‘t slump out, things just come at the wrong times eh haha! Another k20 could be an easier option I guess! Thanks dude il give them a message :)! High spec 2.1 would be insane wouldn‘t it!

Crazylegs said:
Nightmare mate, gutted for you. :(

Wouldn't know exact figures but I'd say a rebuild, anything from 3-7k depending on what you want and who does it.

I'd get Clockwise to do you a 2.1 high powered NA but it'll be expensive.

Michael Morrison in South Wales could probably do you a basic rebuild for cheaper, but would still be expensive.

Better off looking for another K20A from somewhere tbh.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Sorry to hear this mate, you could consider a K24 Frank (an Accord 2.4 bottom end with the K20 head) if money would be an issue, they are pretty easy to come by.

Failing that Michael Morrison, TGM, anyone really who is reputable and can do whatever build you'd require. That or a second hand bottom end and just get it running again I'd say.

Crooktattoo

I do keep seeing about k24 frank builds, but not really clued up on it, I guess you gain more tourqe through it?

Just messaged them thanks dude, all fun and games until the engine goes aint it haha!

carl hammond said:
Sorry to hear this mate, you could consider a K24 Frank (an Accord 2.4 bottom end with the K20 head) if money would be an issue, they are pretty easy to come by.

Failing that Michael Morrison, TGM, anyone really who is reputable and can do whatever build you'd require. That or a second hand bottom end and just get it running again I'd say.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Crooktattoo said:
I do keep seeing about k24 frank builds, but not really clued up on it, I guess you gain more tourqe through it?

Just messaged them thanks dude, all fun and games until the engine goes aint it haha!
Yes more torque but less revs. Was chatting to a lad at a car meet a few weeks back, he's got an accord with a K24 and it's 265 brake so pretty powerful, I think they sound better too personally.

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk

Crooktattoo

265 sounds very impressive! Need to have a look at some videos of these! If money was bottomless that would sound like a good route to go!

Crazylegs said:
Yes more torque but less revs. Was chatting to a lad at a car meet a few weeks back, he's got an accord with a K24 and it's 265 brake so pretty powerful, I think they sound better too personally.

Crooktattoo

glasgow.dc5 said:
What was the mileage on it out of curiosity?

Got a 120,000 mile one personally.
159,000 km on mot dude, previous owner of mine didn‘t really spend the right money on it as had a lot of things I‘ve needed to correct!

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Buy Daz's if you can mate as it's out of a DC5, if not then I'd look at getting Michael Morrison to do you a basic 2.4 build, will probably be down on bhp compared to the K20A but the torque will more than make up for it.

Mikeyspud

Crazylegs said:
Buy Daz's if you can mate as it's out of a DC5, if not then I'd look at getting Michael Morrison to do you a basic 2.4 build, will probably be down on bhp compared to the K20A but the torque will more than make up for it.
I know it is slightly off-topic, but I'd love to find out how much a barebones K20A build would cost for MMR.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Send him an email see what he says. Sylar off here has an engine done by him as his exploded.

Crooktattoo

On it dude, daz is a saviour haha! Should be sorted soon :D! Then gonna build the broke k20 over the next couple of years to spec I want without needing it in the car! I got a quote from him, £3500-£4000 for complete engine rebuild with either new or refurbed parts, which isn‘t too bad tbf I guess! Just the wrong time for me unfortunately!

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Good stuff! That engine of Daz's will be spot on mate and gives you the chance to work on the other one over time as well. I've driven the car that engine is coming from and it goes well. 3-4k from Michael is a good price too, Clockwise would be a lot more expensive but I think they're both good Honda builders.

bxlheathsupra

Advanced Member
Try r2 automotive in essex otherwise. They are building a few k20s in their own project cars currently

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk