Engine swap

naffhigson

Hi everyone this is my first post and I've just got my dream car it's an Imported Honda Integra Type R DC5 basically long story short couple of days after owning it engine started knocking now I'm only gonna be able to get it rebuilt in a few month so I'm looking at putting another engine in it but from a different car so my friend has a Honda civic type r ep3 my question is as someone else told me that you can straight drop the engine into the Dc5 is this true or do I need gearbox ecu and all that anyhelp would be appreciated or any information thanks guys

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

Dazaturbo

Advanced Member
They are different engine codes the dc5 is a k20a and the ep3 is a k20a2 the ep3 is less powerful and not quite as high reving
But as far as I‘m aware they do fit straight in not sure about the ecu‘s and Stuff though

My k20a dc5 engine may be up for sale in a couple of weeks 😜

naffhigson

Dazaturbo said:
They are different engine codes the dc5 is a k20a and the ep3 is a k20a2 the ep3 is less powerful and not quite as high reving
But as far as I‘m aware they do fit straight in not sure about the ecu‘s and Stuff though

My k20a dc5 engine may be up for sale in a couple of weeks
Fingers crossed it doesn't need ecu and everything as it will only be for a substitute for the time being how much you looking at for the engine pal

Dazaturbo

Advanced Member
naffhigson said:
Fingers crossed it doesn't need ecu and everything as it will only be for a substitute for the time being how much you looking at for the engine pal

Not 100% sure at the minute but around the £2k mark I would think

naffhigson

Hahaha that was the idea but £2 does sound good though! Let me know when it's up for sale please add us on Facebook or on here if you can so if I need other things I'd appreciate it

spooke

Advanced Member
Keep the gearbox from your DC5 as it has an LSD... I'd assume you'd need to run the EP3 ECU? Not sure.

naffhigson

spooke said:
Keep the gearbox from your DC5 as it has an LSD... I'd assume you'd need to run the EP3 ECU? Not sure.
Cheers pal you any idea about gearbox n that mechanically I've no clue but I was expecting to need to swap the ECU also but hopefully not

Fez

Advanced Member
The ep3 ecu will have an immobiliser, you can run the dc5 ecu but it will be slightly off. But if yiu just remap it then it will be good and make the same power anyway lol. But then that money spent on mapping you could just put towards a k20a 🤷🏻‍♂️😂

naffhigson

Fez said:
The ep3 ecu will have an immobiliser, you can run the dc5 ecu but it will be slightly off. But if yiu just remap it then it will be good and make the same power anyway lol. But then that money spent on mapping you could just put towards a k20a 🤷🏻‍♂️
So what your saying is you can drop the ep3 in and not need to put the ECU with and car will run ok? Or is it best to put ECU with it and any other things I have a full ep3 to strip so any parts I need is fine just need to know 100% what I need and what I don't then I can save for the rebuild or new engine thanks again pal

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
naffhigson said:
Hi everyone this is my first post and I've just got my dream car it's an Imported Honda Integra Type R DC5 basically long story short couple of days after owning it engine started knocking now I'm only gonna be able to get it rebuilt in a few month so I'm looking at putting another engine in it but from a different car so my friend has a Honda civic type r ep3 my question is as someone else told me that you can straight drop the engine into the Dc5 is this true or do I need gearbox ecu and all that anyhelp would be appreciated or any information thanks guys

Over revved it by chance? Most common way to get a knock on the block. Especially for a new owner.....

As above though. K20a2 will work. But only short term. Longer term it'll devalue the car by 2k with the wrong engine.

Or ask Michael Morrison to build you a k24 :)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk