Ep3 engine and gearbox in my dc5!!!

"omadc5"

Hi folks, have my car a few weeks now, today wile changing the gear oil I had the car up on stands and noticed that when I turned the wheel the one on the other side didn't move, it's supposed to go in the opposite direction because of the lsd I believe. I then started the car with it still on the stands and put in gear, both wheels where turning but I put against the wheel and I was able to stop it completely wile the other side kept going!
So I thought the diff can't be broke otherwise I would hear knocking noises or something. Then I checked the gearbox code and it was npq3 of an ep3!!
Then thought I'd check the engine code and it's k20a2 from an ep3 also!
Some knob has did a swap on the car!!
So folks, what are my options now?
The engine I'm not to bothered about because it is a quick car with its mods;
hondata kpro4
Rbc inlet manifold
Tegwia carbon fibre airbox
Dc sports decat manifold.
Gearbox wise, it feels good, smooth in every gear, can an lsd be added to it? Or am i better to look for a dc5 gearbox ??

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Sorry to hear that mate, it will affect the value of the car if you decide to sell it on but down to you to decide what to do. You could always install a K20A and box but if you're happy with the car as it is, then maybe leave it be.

"omadc5"

Crazylegs said:
Sorry to hear that mate, it will affect the value of the car if you decide to sell it on but down to you to decide what to do. You could always install a K20A and box but if you're happy with the car as it is, then maybe leave it be.
Ideally I'd love to put the proper engine and box in but can't really afford that, will get the gearbox sorted 1st anyway. Car sitting around 240bhp ish and wheel spins all the time with the lack of lsd.
Trying to figure out should i just get an lsd instead of changing whole gearbox

lewis87

Advanced Member
If the gearbox is working well then just go for the LSD because you could end up buying a bad gearbox 2nd hand.

With your mods there will be very little power difference anyway and some would prefer the EP3 engines lower compression because it's better to turbo charge if you were ever to go down that road.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
As said above, if the cars fine as a whole and driving/performing well you can pick up an OEM DC5 diff cheap and fit it or go for an aftermarket diff and pay more, then if I were you I'd just use it and enjoy mate

daniel-cmyk

As Carl ^ said.

Get a DC5 diff and fit it in and just enjoy the car. These things happen and you live and learn. Similar thing happened to me with an EP3 premier. The car was mint, FSH etc but when I got it serviced, they noticed the engine had possibly been changed (Not sure how). I then checked engine codes and they were different to the logbook and the garage was right!

The car was mint, engine was excellent and so was the gearbox. I just enjoyed the car for what it was and didn't let it get to me as I knew it's just a car at the end of the day. It would be different if the engine blew on you or something, but it's all good.

Enjoy the beast!

"omadc5"

Cheers guys, gona stick with what I have an get an mfactory diff installed soon, at the moment it wheel spins like crazy even in 3rd in dry! Plenty of power but can't get it to the road lol

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Cheers guys, gona stick with what I have an get an mfactory diff installed soon, at the moment it wheel spins like crazy even in 3rd in dry! Plenty of power but can't get it to the road lol

If not on track a lot just get an oem dc5 diff mate and save yourself a lot of money imo

"omadc5"

carl hammond said:
If not on track a lot just get an oem dc5 diff mate and save yourself a lot of money imo
Cant seem to find an oem diff anywhere

Mebz

Advanced Member
I've got an oem diff in the garage. Came off a car with circa 150k miles.

daniel-cmyk

Defo try get OEM. One, it‘ll save you money and it‘s defiantly aggressive enough for the streets.

DC5Jack

Advanced Member
If it was me I'd stick a Wavetrac LSD in there. They are a hell of a lot better than the stock diffs.

They seem to have shot up in price since I got mine installed, which is a shame