EP3 Fog Light Switch Install (Via Power Mirrors)

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
For those of you that were unlucky enough to be blessed with an ugly fog light switch, here is a little how to on wiring up the EP3 Fog Light Switch for the DC5 :)

This is for my fog, which is wired into one of the Reverse Light Clusters. This is not a guide for wiring in your fog to the brake cluster, but you should be able to use this guide for wiring in the switch.
NOTE: The red fog symbol will not dim with the dash

What you will need:
08v31 s5t 61035 (civic ep3 fog switch ) from Honda (Got mine from the superb David Johnson at Steels Honda in the Traders section.
http://www.itr-dc5.c...18-trader-info/

Soldering Iron + Solder
Bullet Connectors (if you want it to be removable)
Wire, preferably the same type as you get in the OEM radio loom.
Wire Cutters for unsheathing and crimping etc.
Black Insulation tape (if needed)
Hacksaw for chopping off the blue plug on the OEM switch to reveal the pins.

Firstly, disconnect your battery by removing the negative cable :)

Then you want to remove the old switch, this can be done by removing the Switch Panel by following the instructions here on pages 20-64 of the RSX Workshop Manual.
http://www.itr-dc5.c...orkshop-manual/

I also used that to check the wiring.

Ugly Fog Switch.... yuk!

You might have some spade connectors or wires connecting to the old switch (if yours is illuminated), they will have been connected to:
1) Live (red wire)
2) Ground (black wire)
3) Live Out to the Fog Light (black wire for me)

Pull those off the switch.

Mine splices the Live and ground from the Power Mirror Loom, so I can use these wires for the new Switch.
(if your's is not set up this way, you can use these wires to wire it in with)

You need the Black wire with Silver Dots (Ground) and the Red and Black wire (Live)
Connecting to these wires means when your headlights are on, the fog symbol will illuminate with the dash lights :)

The white plug is for the Electric Mirrors.

When you get your switch, you need to saw off the blue plug connector that covers the pins, easy job, just dont cut through the pins!

Then, using the wire cutters and spare wire, you want to wire it up in the following way:

Top to Bottom (MAKE SURE that the led is at the top and the fog symbol at bottom)
Pin 1: To Ground
Pin 2: Live In
Pin 3: To Ground
Pin 4: Live Out (to rear fog)
Pin 5 Live In

So you need to wire pins 1&3 together and then wire 2&5 together to make this a three pin switch.

Thanks to AlanS for this pin guide!!! (http://www.itr-dc5.c...-switch-wiring/)

Once that is done, you then need to wire the pins to the relevant wires connected to your car using the wiring guide above :)

I used bullet connectors on the wires so the switch is removable, so crimped those on. Otherwise you can solder it in directly.

Hey presto, all done, put everything back together and tape up any loose wires with insulation tape.

Sit back and admire!

Dash lights on, fog off....

The LED illuminates green when the fog is activated (switch depressed):

Brophy

Advanced Member
Great guide there Porthos :) just got myself one of the ep3 fog light switches last week.

Shall be wiring it up with the use of this guide.

Adam-f

Advanced Member
Lucky enough my car came with a EP3 one fitted :) just mine doesn't light up with the rest of the interior light's so i'm going to look at that later, the top power light works though so there's power going to the rear fog

dotty

Advanced Member
If anyone fancies doing this for me I will pay them kindly in beer tokens (I don't go near electrics!)

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
Lucky enough my car came with a EP3 one fitted :) just mine doesn't light up with the rest of the interior light's so i'm going to look at that later, the top power light works though so there's power going to the rear fog
Sound to me like just one pin is connected instead of joining the two.

maxvr6

Advanced Member
This is seriously easy, I don't really do electrics but just follow AlanS and you will be fine.

I went to even further lengths to make mine look factory, took out the bulb for the fog symbol and replaced it with a red one from Maplin, then put the little cap back over the bulb (you will see what I mean if you take it apart). It now matches the colour of the other red lights much better.

Also took the green power on light bulb out and replaced it with an orange one as traditionally rear fog switches light up orange, whereas front fog switches light up green.

Extremes I know, but it's all about the detail :)

trancem

Advanced Member
I need somebody to wire my foglight into my brake lights for me!

previous owner had the foglight in the bumper but got it removed and bumper smoothed.. so the wiring and switch is all there but I dont have a clue with electrics!

any takers in yorkshire area?

CaLi

Vtec Yoooooooo
i would like to do this mod too :)

if an auto electrician comes to our dc5 stand at Japfest next year he's going to make a fortune ahaha

Bonito

Advanced Member
Cool! In Ireland we don't have the rear fog legal obligation so my Q is how are all your fogs wired when you import them? Is there wiring already laid out from factory then all you have to do is attach a switch and the light?

Be easy enough to apply this to the How To on converting your brake cluster to a fog.

Bonito

Advanced Member
Do they run the cable inside or under along the chassis oe does it depend on the centre?

Zani

Advanced Member
Received my fog switch this morning will be using this guide to wire it up... thanks buddy!

SuperFLY

Advanced Member
If anyone fancies doing this for me I will pay them kindly in beer tokens (I don't go near electrics!)
if/when i get mine and do this mod i'll happily give you a hand :)

guess we're both pretty close to each other seeing as we both frequent TGM

Zani

Advanced Member
Porthos, do you have a picture of the wiring connected to your switch? As after I sawed off the plastic covering the pins, my spade connectors wouldn't fit... not enough room! :/

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
Zani said:
Porthos, do you have a picture of the wiring connected to your switch? As after I sawed off the plastic covering the pins, my spade connectors wouldn't fit... not enough room! :/
Thats what the soldering part is for mate :)

Mark_teg

Staff member
Zani said:
You can also bend the tabs side to side (top to the left, next to the right, next to the left, and so on).
Then the spade connectors - I presume you have the small red (insulated) items?. If so, remove the insulation from the spade section and cover the outside with a thin layer of electrical tape instead (to make the terminals thinner as space is tight!)..

This is how I fitted mine (IIRC) and it's been fine. Doesn't look pretty, but you dont see it anyway.