EP3 Fog Light Switch Install (Via Power Mirrors)

wj51fut

Advanced Member
AlanS said:
I've just got hold of an OEM fog switch plug off an EP3 from a local breakers.

Well we're all doing it wrong!!

As you can see from the photos the Honda way of wiring should have been from top to bottom

Pin 1 : Ground
Pin 2 : Ground for Illumination
Pin 3 : Live In for Illumination
Pin 4 : Live out to fog
Pin 5 : Live In

Where as before we mixed up pin 2&3 for the LED that lights up the fog symbol. But i guess it doesnt matter as it still works and Positive & negative does not matter on LEDs

With this plug its just a case of connecting the 3 wires to your existing fog wiring and job done , no cutting or soldering etc needed.
So in order to do this you need to do what you have done in the above picture??! Sounds easy. 👍

Javirai1

Advanced Member
Defo looks the nuts when it's installed!!

Tried to get hold of a loom from an ep3.... Couldn't find one on eBay or at breakers!! :(

Got male and female connectors on mine following porthos wiring guide but hope to swap it for an actual loom one day.

Was real foggy other day too so couldn't help but smile when I turned them on for the first time ;)

Liam

Advanced Member
I'm at a bit of a loss here... I've followed this guide to the letter. The switch illuminates when I turn on the side lights, but as soon as I push the fog light switch the fuse for the side/ tail lights blows.

I don't have folding mirrors, so I can only assume the power for the rear fog is coming from the side lights? The old switch was illuminated, but didn't have an additional LED to show it's on like the green one on the EP3 switch. Is it just a case of the additional LED in the EP3 switch drawing too much current for a 15A fuse? Is it just a case of upping it to say a 20A fuse?

Any help appreciated.

ste01

Advanced Member
Liam said:
I'm at a bit of a loss here... I've followed this guide to the letter. The switch illuminates when I turn on the side lights, but as soon as I push the fog light switch the fuse for the side/ tail lights blows.

I don't have folding mirrors, so I can only assume the power for the rear fog is coming from the side lights? The old switch was illuminated, but didn't have an additional LED to show it's on like the green one on the EP3 switch. Is it just a case of the additional LED in the EP3 switch drawing too much current for a 15A fuse? Is it just a case of upping it to say a 20A fuse?

Any help appreciated.
I'm interested in how this goes too. I have no power mirrors and want to change the fog light switch, I hadn't even thought about fuses blowing! not got any real input but surely the new switch should be illuminated all the time like the rest of the dash lights though? Not just when you put the sidelights on, that's normally when dash lights dim not come on. I know that's not when the fuse blows but it could hint at a wiring issue

Liam

Advanced Member
ste01 said:
I'm interested in how this goes too. I have no power mirrors and want to change the fog light switch, I hadn't even thought about fuses blowing! not got any real input but surely the new switch should be illuminated all the time like the rest of the dash lights though? Not just when you put the sidelights on, that's normally when dash lights dim not come on. I know that's not when the fuse blows but it could hint at a wiring issue
The feed for the original switch must be coming from the dash/ side/ tail lights as the switch illuminated when I turned on the side lights.

The new switch does the same but then pops the fuse once I press it. :(

I'll remove the fog bulb tomorrow when I'm armed with some more fuses and see what happens then.

Ali D

Advanced Member
SuperFLY said:
i hope porthos doesn't mind me kinda hi-jacking the thread but as my switch arrived today i thought i'd get it soldered up and the plug added like i wanted it

the idea was to replace the existing plug with my own but i didnt want it loose so i flattened the pins, soldered them up, connected the wires to the clips and plug and then glued the plug on.

firstly i cut the existing plastic clip off. i just used a serrated knife, the plastics thin and only took a sec

then cut a bit off the ends of the pins, soldered on the wiring then flattened them down

just to test using my trusty 9v battery (its a good tip when working on car electronics at home, normally a 9v battery is normally enough to do some testing with)

next i crimped the connectors on, and clipped them into the plug

then, i used the glue gun and filled the recesses between the pins to create a sealed unit, pushed the plug down and glued around it to hold it in place.

and finally heres a pic of the other end of the plug connected with the connectors i'll be attaching to the car when i get a chance.

its a good solid fit, i can shake it around by the plug and it doesnt move at all :)

think i'll put some leccie tape round it just to neaten it up a bit but yeh.. pretty happy with that

was a bit fiddly soldering the wiring and if i were to do it again id cut the connector wiring a bit shorter to get the plug tighter to the main connector

just got to clip the wires in the car to the other end of the plug and jobs a goodun
when i did mine i just searched ebay for someome breaking a EP3 with front fogs, asked them for the original plug and got one posted for £5.

:)

maxvr6

Advanced Member
Theres a fair few things you can reuse from an EP3, heater resistor is another good one, £60 odd new from Honda or £20 odd from a breaker ;)

Granty1056

Advanced Member
Hi all.

Got mine fitted last night. Im going to replace both bulbs with red ones. My mate who fitted it told me that the switch was actually a front fog light switch and thats why the on light at the top is coloured green.

I did'nt realise this. Its of no matter because both will be red as soon as the replacement bulbs arrive.

Pics to follow soon.

Regards.

maxvr6

Advanced Member
Granty1056 said:
Hi all.

Got mine fitted last night. Im going to replace both bulbs with red ones. My mate who fitted it told me that the switch was actually a front fog light switch and thats why the on light at the top is coloured green.

I did'nt reliase this. Its of no matter because both will be red as soon as the replacement bulbs arrive.

Pics to follow soon.

Regards.
I changed mine to red too but that doesn't stop the symbol from being wrong :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Granty1056

Advanced Member
maxvr6 said:
I changed mine to red too but that doesn't stop the symbol from being wrong :p

Hi.

So it looks as if we have gone for the wrong switch. Have you had an MOT with it. If so were there any comments by the tester or am I panicing without cause.

Regards.

ste01

Advanced Member
I've had an MOT with the switch and it was fine. My local place is really strict and by the book too so if they passed it I'm sure other places will be fine :)

maxvr6

Advanced Member
No need to panic, loads of us have this switch, i actually failed once because the tester thought i didn't have a rear fog switch until i pointed it out, then he passed it without question.

maxvr6

Advanced Member
Haha i only mentioned it because my OCD took a while to adjust to it haha!

Jazazze

Would love to see yours when you pop the red bulbs in, Granty. The orange next the sea of red makes me a little sick inside. :(

Granty1056

Advanced Member
All done. Followed the tips on here and found it easy to fit.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

2ndy

Advanced Member
Is it right that this switch is only about £15 from honda? Just want to make sure I'm ordering the right thing