Exhaust Quandary

Rom

Advanced Member
After some input / opinions on what to do with my exhaust.
I don't want this to turn into a generic 3'' thread.

I'm getting old! Mine is now too loud if I'm honest.
Whilst it's rarely used, and I do still get a smile from it. It's loud, obnoxious, and gets filthy looks everywhere it goes!

Currently running a Buddyclub header (think they only do one, but if not, mines 'racespec') so this means no cat, then a Buddyclub Spec 3. Yes, the obnoxious slide and spring system.
Had to get a custom centre pipe, which lost the tiny centre box, which probably did very little for the noise.

My biggest worry, is its mapped to this. I once fitted an oem back box with EP3 centre pipe for a trackday. It may well be placebo / due to noise. But it felt strangled, and not as quick.
I really can't be bothered to get it remapped for another exhaust if I'm honest.

My current thoughts are either an RM01A, which is apparently not overly loud.
Or an SF 3''. Not heard much of either tbh.
Not sure the SF can be worse than what I have for drone! That's the main negative I've read about it.
Anyone know the dB without a centre box? I don't want it top quiet, but this asbo noise level has got to go. Got sound checked at Coombe at 110!

Ive also considered getting a centre box made for mine, though unsure how much difference in noise and flow it might realistically get.

Also running an rbc and J's Intake, so factor that in to induction noise.

I still want a nice sound, happy for vtec to be lairy. Just need something quieter for normal use. Ideally don't want a remap (I know I know, I should to get the benefits. I just can't be bothered to drive 6hrs).

Anyone got video of either, not finding much useful stuff.
I think the RM01A is the same diameter as what I have. With the tip slightly smaller. So hopefully wouldn't be much difference.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

20Drift

Members
Staff member
I believe you still get some drone with the SF, albeit not as bad as a normal 3 inch.

I’ve got an RM01A, which replaced a TDI 3” system. Haven’t noticed any difference in power but it’s much easier to live with!

Rom

Advanced Member
That on the silver or black one dave?

Drift - when you say drone, do you mean like motorway speeds, or all the time.
I've seen it said a lot, but not 100% what is meant by it.
Maybe I'm just used to mine which is loud for the whole rev range!

VtecPaul

Advanced Member
I love my RM01A. Standard from cat forward (although contemplated an aftermarket cat and manifold but seems it’s not straightforward) but the noise from the cat back is amazing. Subtle off throttle, a menace when in vtec. And it’s easy to avoid vtec if driving around town, unless you want it to open up.
so much fun. :)

carl hammond

Advanced Member
100% a Fujitsubo RM01A over a SF or any other system, best system avail for the dc5 as an all rounder (I did all the research into them all)

Rom

Advanced Member
Yeah they have nothing but good feedback.

Hopefully it wont be much different flow wise, it's looks pretty similar, just quieter. Really don't want to drive to tdi again!

I'm in no rush, so probably see if Torque bring back there black Friday offer.
I've also messaged Injection Imports as bought my intake from them.

Assuming if I use Nungen or RHD I'll be stung for vat and import.

Mebz

Advanced Member
I've got the solid fab along with the solid fab manifold, it's ideal for what I needed.

Between 3 and 4k rpm, under heavy load it drones. With a gentle foot its fine.

Lopes3d

I’ve currently got a solid fab full system with decat and centre res, with a tegiwa carbon intake. Does anyone know of drive by DB that these roughly make as I’m looking to do Bedford but drive by is at 87.5 DB