Exhaust size for mods

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Have you tried the search function? Loads on here about exhausts already so prob best to have a read

Shak

I’ve been searching but can’t find much information

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shak

I’m not going turbo. just inlet manifold, Exhaust manifold and remap.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
I’m not going turbo. just inlet manifold, Exhaust manifold and remap.

I did a lot of research into this before choosing my last exhaust system and it depends what you want.

If you are chasing numbers for paper bhp bragging rights then yes, else not always the case. Depends on the headers you run, the intake, the cai, the engine health and many other factors.

Also depends if you want it to be track friendly at all times or a nice noise with no drone.

My car made 214.1whp which is 249.6bhp at the flywheel on a dyno dynamics hub rolling road (known as the heart breaker by being very harsh) and that was with th e below

DC Sport Racing Manifold (with built in Decat)
Fujitsibu RM01A Manifold Back System
AEM V2 Long arm Cold Air Intake located in the front bumper with an Injen Hydroshield
K100 ECU - Mapped by Romain

In the real world the gains from moving to a 3" system are not noticable, same with an rbc etc, but if you want as I as I said numbers for bragging rights then yes.

The 3" systems from experience of seeing and hearing loads of them for me are cr*p, the craftmanship is great but not on par with the likes for Fujitsibu and the3" systems drone, look OK and honestly have a nasty rattling, tinny noise to them (which I have heard on every single one I have seen in person)

I did months of research and the best all round system for noise, power, looks, quality and being a true track friendly system was the RM01A

If you search here as I said you will find this and more comment wise throughout the pages.

Shak

At the moment I have Kakimoto 06&R with 2.5” centre pipe. Sounds good but with the extra power I’ll be running I thought it would be better for a bigger centre pipe.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
At the moment I have Kakimoto 06&R with 2.5” centre pipe. Sounds good but with the extra power I’ll be running I thought it would be better for a bigger centre pipe.

If you don't have a 3" header you'll be restricting the flow anyway, don't compromise quality for numbers (especially when you're talking circa 3-8hp AT MAX) as that wont be noticeable at all in the real world or on track.

As I said if you literally want to say I have "XYZ" bhp then you're number chasing and so I would say yes do it, BUT if you want quality, lasting, great sounding and looking reputable parts then dont.

Also remember the gains made will be compromised by the additional weight.

E.g the rm01a I opted for after months of research weighed in at less than 50% of the weight of the SF 3" system. So not only did I get great gains from it, a 100% track friends system that I used on many tracks with varied db limits without issue I also got a system that never droned, fitted and looked perfect out the box and had an epic tone to it.

What extra power will you be running? an NA car is hard top get power from and tbh most with boltons all end around the same to similar numbers 240-250 ish hp at max so you're not talking big numbers here or anything life changing so you wont notice 3-8hp here and there trust me

To me it sounds like you have already made your mind up and want to chase numbers so in that case do the change :)