FD 5.1 - Change the 6th gear???

Linus27

Advanced Member
I've picked up a cheap Spoon 5.1 Final Drive which I'm getting fitted in a month or so. As the 5.1 is quite a subtle change, is it worth changing the 6th gear to the EP3/Accord one or is it not worth doing? I will be doing track days and some daily driving.

ollydc5

Advanced Member
Personally I wouldn‘t with a 5.1. Put one in my first dc5 and the difference was only marginal

I ran a 5.4 some years ago and I wish I‘d of changed the 6th but I just put up with it, was only a pain on the motorway.

In my current DC5 I‘ve just installed a 5.8 and have put an accord 6th in to see how I get on. Some are saying it was a bad idea but I just needed to know

Mebz

Advanced Member
Personally I wouldn't do it if for track.

I've got a 5.8 in mine and on track at anglesey for example I need to go in 6th. I think the rev drop from 5th to 6th with a different 6th gear would be horrible.

Linus27

Advanced Member
Thanks guys, I will leave the 6th gear as it is. Long term I can see me changing to a 5.3 but I got the 5.1 cheap from a friend so it was a no brainer.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Don't change the 6th gear whatsoever you do, absolutely ruins them.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Fez

Advanced Member
I had ep3 6th gear fitted for about a month with my 5.3fd, it was awful 😂

If you‘re planning on going for a different FD later on, personally i‘d just sell the 5.1 and put that money towards the new one.
Save doing it twice, and the 5.1 wont be much of a jump, so when you change again it will also seem like a small jump.

I wouldnt even say my 5.3 has made a big difference, just spend more time changing gear 😂