Federal 595 RSR vs Bridgestone Re070

spannermonkey

Just a quick one.

Over the last few years i've used Ferderal RSR's for road/ trackdays and highly rated them.

However when i purchased my DC5 it came with RE070's.
I absolutely love the look of the tread on the Bridgestones, and they do seem to grip well on the road.

How would they compare on track? does anyone have experience of both?

Thanks Jonny

martinj46

Advanced Member
I've had both this year on both road and track. The RE070 held up surpringly well well on track, but ultimately the RSRs are in a different league for longevity on track. If you're just doing the occasional trackday though the RE070 are perfectly fine for the job, and cracking value for money too

spannermonkey

Ok thanks for your input mate :)

Thats what i suspected really. I think the RE070 is a fantastic road tyre, but road tyres will never compare to track day tyres.

As pathetic as it sounds, i do love the look of the RE070 tread pattern.

With a couple of track days and a trip to the ring on the cards i might have to get some RSR's

Liam

Advanced Member
I considered both tyres and ended up going for RE070s... what a mistake that was. They're okay in the dry, but utterly hopeless in the wet - feels like driving on ice. If money was no object, I'd probably bin them off right now for some Federals.

I've used 595 RS-R on my track car for a few years now - tried and tested daily over the winter and even in standing water at Cadwell Park! Can't fault them.

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
are the re070s ok for daily commutes etc as an all weather tyre?

or does their lack of grip in the wet make them useless on the UKs mainly wet conditions?

cheers

Brophy

Advanced Member
I run them all year no problems in the wet on motorways etc.

Whereas when I ran the federals in the wet that just plain scary

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
cheers brophy,

what about the AD08r's?

£93 on camskill - are these track only or ok for wet conditions again?

re070 are £68 fyi, seems cheap. but doesnt have the XL sidewall in the code, or do all of these come with that?

and i was looking at goodyear eagle f1 as2's, they are £70 each with XL sidewall

albone13

Advanced Member
The Goodyear tyres are great tyre's I am changing mine to these at the weekend had them on all my previous cars

integraleo

Advanced Member
Re070 have stiffer sidewalls than the xl version goodyears. Much prefer re070s,much more grip and feel in the dry especially when you get some heat in them.love them to bits

MrRy

Advanced Member
Now my AD08R's have around 4mm left, in the wet they can be pretty scary if you try to make good progress - they break away and can easily get the inexperienced into an understeer slide

I'm quite tempted by these RSR's. The RE070 is a fantastic price though. If I didn't do track days, I would probably opt for RE070 and raise the height of my ride so the 225's don't scrub (which they currently do).

spannermonkey

Ive always had federals on my track/Road car.
my DC5 came with near new re070's.
The way i see it :

Re070: fantastic all rounder Road track and wet. Looks the best and brilliant value.

Federals: Better for road/ track. Much softer compound. (also only start with 5mm) doesn't look as good.

People who say a tyre is crap in the wet, bare in mind, where they nearly worn out? As any tyre with 2mm tread will inevitably be shocking in the wet.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Rob R

Advanced Member
I'll throw another one in there - Continental Sport Contact 5's.... done 2 track days on mine and found them excellent. Wet grip is incredible as well. 225/45's can be had for about £85 a corner fitted.

integraleo

Advanced Member
Sport contact 5s are basically same as goodyears eagle f1s in terms of a good road tyre. Re070s slightly more road/track orientated

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
integraleo said:
Sport contact 5s are basically same as goodyears eagle f1s in terms of a good road tyre. Re070s slightly more road/track orientated
yeah pretty much what i read too, however when i did my research last year the f1's were slightly favoured to the 5's although only marginally.

im definitely consdering the re070s though

jrscho

Advanced Member
MrRy said:
Now my AD08R's have around 4mm left, in the wet they can be pretty scary if you try to make good progress - they break away and can easily get the inexperienced into an understeer slide
So true... My car slides quite alot when it's wet or water laying around.. Need to be very careful! But in the dry they are superb, really holds the power down!

Was also looking at rsr's! Maybe try them in Afew months when my fronts are due.. Just got two rear ad08R's! Although I've seen alot of reviews ad08r's are the best all rounder.. Although I don't track my car so rsr's might be quite a waste :/

MrRy

Advanced Member
jrscho said:
So true... My car slides quite alot when it's wet or water laying around.. Need to be very careful! But in the dry they are superb, really holds the power down!

Was also looking at rsr's! Maybe try them in Afew months when my fronts are due.. Just got two rear ad08R's! Although I've seen alot of reviews ad08r's are the best all rounder.. Although I don't track my car so rsr's might be quite a waste :/
Yeah. I mean when they had full tread the AD08R's were fantastic in the wet and even in the winter/snow considering, but 4mm on the AD08R's feels like having less than 2mm left on normal all-season tyres in the wet.

I've got some new wheels for the daily so I don't waste the last of the AD08R's on the road, and looking at the Eagle F1's / RE050A / Turanza's / etc.