Fitting O2 (A/F) Sensor

Neil_H

Advanced Member
Like many on here I have a CEL 41, and it looks like my Primary O2 (or A/F Ratio) Sensor has gone.

I have one arriving tomorrow courtesy of David at Steels as my MOT is due, and was planning to do it myself. I had a look at the service manual this morning and it seems straightforward enough - has anyone done this? What exactly is involved?

fonz600

Advanced Member
It's pretty straight forward mate.
There is a plug underneath the car about 12" along the wire. Unplug( which can be a bit fiddly), Unscrew and fit the new one. Thats it :wink:
Careful how much you tighten the new one.

jimmy_atr

Advanced Member
i did mine without even jacking car up

Only hard bit was using mirror to see where the plug was and then trying to unplugging old sensor! its a pain. Once out though you unscrew the sensor easily enough and replace.

If can was on ramps id say it would take 10mins tops

Job done

Neil_H

Advanced Member
Thanks chaps, not sure I'll fit under the car without a jack - I don't have one so I was thinking of some strategic kerb placement :D

JT3173

Advanced Member
What is the effect if any if this is gone just out of interest?

I was told once with my Caterham that you didnt really need it when it blew, is this the case for the DC5?

Neil_H

Advanced Member
JT3173 said:
What is the effect if any if this is gone just out of interest?

I was told once with my Caterham that you didnt really need it when it blew, is this the case for the DC5?
As far as i know it will fail the MOT on emissions and the engine could be running lean/ rich.

Neil_H

Advanced Member
MilanoChris said:
I think I'll start saving for when mine goes! :lol: :shock:
Good idea mate, £175 for a new one! :shock: Seems to be very common, I wonder if it's because the ECU is programmed with Japanese petrol in mind.

Neil_H

Advanced Member
Couldn't manage it, was too difficult to unplug with my big hands and I didn't have a 22mm spanner - thought an adjustable wrench would work but it doesn't fit.

Very fiddly job so I'm going to let the dealer do it when it goes for a service on Tuesday. :|

NZITR

Advanced Member
Neil_H said:
Couldn't manage it, was too difficult to unplug with my big hands and I didn't have a 22mm spanner - thought an adjustable wrench would work but it doesn't fit.

Very fiddly job so I'm going to let the dealer do it when it goes for a service on Tuesday. :|
When I installed my header I had the same issue and ended up getting a mate to buy me the spanner and it was easy

Neil_H

Advanced Member
NZITR said:
Neil_H said:

When I installed my header I had the same issue and ended up getting a mate to buy me the spanner and it was easy
Had it not been going in tomorrow anyway I would probably have sorted it, but seeing as they will have the car for a few hours anyway it just wasn't worth it. I'm basically being lazy :lol:

Neil_H

Advanced Member
Part fitted and CEL gone - Honda charged me 38 bloody quid though :mad: Daylight robbery I tells ya!