front end knocking noise

webbie

Advanced Member
hi
I picked my teg up on thursday and the garage mentioned a slight knocking noise from the front when going over small bumps .

they have checked everything in detail and cant find anything .
any of you lot have any ideas or know any common faults

webbie

Suped

Advanced Member
loose front bumper on the underneath?? its basically the bottom of the front bumper connecting to the rear 2 piece cover to the engine, this is held together with 2-4 screws. cud be that when u go over a speed hump, the un-screwed plastic covers are bouncing.

T666YPR

Bounce your front wings when stationary with the bonnet up and you should find it's the uppermounts of your suspension.

Quite common.

User

Advanced Member
As said, common issue, nothing to lose sleep over unless the car aint driving straight.

Not only do mine knock occasionally but I get a metal twang noise steering right when travelling slowly. Another common noise from the front end.

iceman1

yea i had the same problem tightend the top mount noise still there but not as bad i only hear the noise over spead ramps or bumpy roads , and theres a s**t load of them over hare in ireland

dazzerjp

on the driver side. i dont know the exact one - sorry. will have a look under the bonnet to see if i can see it and post a photo

iDrew

Advanced Member
dan the man said:
top mounts..mine are at it :x :x :x
I thought my top mounts were knackered so had them replaced - the noise is still there :roll: :x

mikegsi

Staff member
iDrew said:
dan the man said:
top mounts..mine are at it :x :x :x
I thought my top mounts were knackered so had them replaced - the noise is still there :roll: :x
might be this engine mount that dazzerjp is on about

dazzerjp said:
on the driver side. i dont know the exact one - sorry. will have a look under the bonnet to see if i can see it and post a photo
cool, that will help me see if im suffering the same!

Splink

Advanced Member
My tein SS adjustables had the same problem. Found out that the fitters didnt put the passenger side on properly and the top bolt to lower/higher them was just loose. So i screwed it in so it was the same as the drivers side and is ok.

AdrianK

Advanced Member
I get the knocking too, mine has coilovers and pillowball top mounts.

Also get that twang moving at slow speed when turning.

gregb

Advanced Member
mine has hks coilovers and when i got the car first the "twang :lol: "and creaking was crazy.
i brought it back and nothing could be found wrong.
so after a month or two it all quietend down and i was sure it had sorted itself out.
recently i moved house and there is ramps everywhere and the driveway in is at an angle and a bit steep and this sends them bonkers all over again :x
creaking and bobbing.
would aftermarket suspension use the original mounts ?

Glitch

Advanced Member
The "twanging" noise you are refering to is due to the fact that on coilovers the springs arnt locked into place as they are on normal suspension which means the springs can move round 360 due to the adjustment side of things. The problem this causes is that grit and dirt can get in between the springs and the spring seats, also it can get in between the large spring and the small spring at the bottom (depending on what make coilovers you have) and this causing the springs movement to be jurky and not smooth when turning. So basically as the spring moves round with the wheel when you turn it catches on a bit of dirt and gets stuck, then as you turn more it forces the spring to move round so it then jurks round causing the twang noise. It happens at low speed end if you turn the wheel when stationary. The more crap you have stuck in there the worse it will be.

Now how to cure the problem.... get ur car up on the ramp and remove the front wheels so you can see all of the suspension, then turn the springs round with your hands and you will feel all the grit in there as it wont turn smoothly, so spray the areas where the spring touches anything, ie. the spring seats etc., as best as you can with brake cleaner or degreaser etc. to get the worst of the crap out (You will see all the formentioned crap on a visual inspection of your springs) Try turning the springs round after you have cleaned them to see if they move any better. Then what you need to do is get some grease on a brush and put it in the places that you have just cleaned, try to really get in between the spring and the seats etc. try moving the spring round while your putting the grease on this may help. Dont be shy with the grease either because it needs to stay on the springs while your driving the car as this does not cure the problem instantly, it may even take a week or two for the grease to work its way between the springs and into the crap, it basically turns the gritty crap into greasy crap so it doesnt effect the movement of the springs. Now i had this problem and it worked for me and a few of my mates but im sure it wont work for every one and it will only cure the twanging, it wont cure the knocking some of you have. As i said before it wont cure it straight away so bare with it for a while then one day it will just stop and u wont even realise. I hope this helps.