Funny Smell

okamoto

Hi...can someone tell me something..I am new to DC5 and Honda Engine.

When i really push the car up to 7-8000rpm...does anyone smell something buring??

Just a small puff of rubber/leather burning smell.....only for a short while...but when I stop the car and open the bonnet...cannot smell anything...

Is this Normal???

I am in Asia....I use REDLINE 10W40 oil..is this OK??

T666YPR

If you have recently fitted new manifold or exhaust mods,you will get a burning smell as they bed in.
Check you have no cables rubbing against hot parts of the engine/manifold/exhaust too.

Badly wired in alarm systems or I.C.E. can cause electrical problems as well.

Your oil is fine,well within spec.

HTH :)

andyd

Advanced Member
okamoto said:
Hi...can someone tell me something..I am new to DC5 and Honda Engine.

When i really push the car up to 7-8000rpm...does anyone smell something buring??

Just a small puff of rubber/leather burning smell.....only for a short while...but when I stop the car and open the bonnet...cannot smell anything...

Is this Normal???

I am in Asia....I use REDLINE 10W40 oil..is this OK??
Yes this is completely normal.

mine did this.

Andy

tailslide

dats probably ur clutch burning. mine does dat all the time when i gun the accelerator 2 redline. well, dat was until i got my ogura carbon clutch on 8)

okamoto

tailslide said:
dats probably ur clutch burning. mine does dat all the time when i gun the accelerator 2 redline. well, dat was until i got my ogura carbon clutch on 8)
Oh...ICIC...thank you all for the info..thats just confirmed my findings too.

I have had discussion with Honda Japan Engineer..they told me several possibilities:

1] Clutch Slipped at extreme RPM is norm...
2] The smell comes from the Cat
3] The wrong engine oil is used..too thin may have this result.