Gearbox Oil

Fanard

i've heard things about the gearbox's in DC5's becoming crunch especially from 2nd to 3rd gear. My box isn't crunching massively but its definitely not as smooth as my little old civic used to be. Not sure if thats just cause I'm not used to it or not though (Being a new owner to a dc5).
I've also noticed that my gearbox is a lot smoother once the engine is fully warm.
my question is, how does everyones gearbox feel? and would i benefit from changing the oil in the gearbox for some fresh?

thanks! :xgrin:

JDM-DC5

Advanced Member
fresh gearbox oil wont do it any harm if it hasnt already been done. MTF 3 is what i use and pretty sure most DC5 owners on here use it as well if you havent searched already. My last DC5 second gear was cured with a gearbox oil change. It didnt crunch but was difficult to get it into gear above 7k rpm

Fanard

JDM-DC5 said:
fresh gearbox oil wont do it any harm if it hasnt already been done. MTF 3 is what i use and pretty sure most DC5 owners on here use it as well if you havent searched already. My last DC5 second gear was cured with a gearbox oil change. It didnt crunch but was difficult to get it into gear above 7k rpm
Sounds great, i'll definitely get it done! Is it a fairly easy job to do yourself? How much oil will i need? and how much oil does the box hold?
Thanks!

dave7368

Advanced Member
2 litres is more than enough..
drain plug on the bottom, filler/level plug on the side (allen key)

Fanard

dave7368 said:
2 litres is more than enough..
drain plug on the bottom, filler/level plug on the side (allen key)
Cheers thank you very much, i'll definitely crack on with this as soon as possible!

spooke

Advanced Member
Mine's the same as yours Fanard and my cars low mileage. I found that after fitting the K-Tuned pivot ball and spring my 1st to 2nd crunch occurred way less, although it's still not how I expected the gearbox to feel as it's not smooth into every gear 99% of the time lol

ferret

1.5 litres is what the service manual says to put in the box. A funnel and a bit of garden hose makes an easy job of filling it aswel

ferret

1.5 litres is what the service manual says to put in the box. A funnel and a bit of garden hose makes an easy job of filling it aswel

Fanard

spooke said:
Mine's the same as yours Fanard and my cars low mileage. I found that after fitting the K-Tuned pivot ball and spring my 1st to 2nd crunch occurred way less, although it's still not how I expected the gearbox to feel as it's not smooth into every gear 99% of the time lol
Thanks Spooke, it really isn't how I was expecting. I assumed it would be such a smooth transition. Glad to know I'm not the only one though. I'll have a look at the shifter. Think I've seen it on Tegiwa for £26.24 for the ball and Spring. Is that the right thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fanard

I'm glad that it's not only me! Definitely improves once warm though. Cheers Ferret and Patch

spooke

Advanced Member
Fanard said:
Thanks Spooke, it really isn't how I was expecting. I assumed it would be such a smooth transition. Glad to know I'm not the only one though. I'll have a look at the shifter. Think I've seen it on Tegiwa for £26.24 for the ball and Spring. Is that the right thing?

That is the correct part yeah, it made a huge difference and how I imagine it felt from new! Still a little difficult but I put that down to my synchro's or something else... as I've had fresh oil and a new clutch.

Fanard

spooke said:
That is the correct part yeah, it made a huge difference and how I imagine it felt from new! Still a little difficult but I put that down to my synchro's or something else... as I've had fresh oil and a new clutch.
Reckon I'll purchase that. Just looking at the K-Tune website and you can get the spring, the ball and an upgraded section of the shifter box (from plastic to aluminium) for a decent price so might have to invest.
I can imagine if the synchro's go it will be an expensive job

ep3itrdc5

Advanced Member
Fanard said:
Reckon I'll purchase that. Just looking at the K-Tune website and you can get the spring, the ball and an upgraded section of the shifter box (from plastic to aluminium) for a decent price so might have to invest.
I can imagine if the synchro's go it will be an expensive job

every bit helps with making the shift feel nicer, i went for this and bushes made huge difference

Jinis dust

Advanced Member
Mines the same aswell , when cold not very nice to go in to 2nd or 6th gear. Improves a lot once warm though. Previous owner changed the gearbox oil... Twice. It had a k tuned short shifter box which was making mine feel worse, so I've gone back to a oem shifter box. It seriously puts me off the car tbh, as my ep3 box was perfect and so smooth! so was expecting the same from the teg. Just a shame a gear box rebuild is soooo expensive

Justin

Fanard

Jinis dust said:
Mines the same aswell , when cold not very nice to go in to 2nd or 6th gear. Improves a lot once warm though. Previous owner changed the gearbox oil... Twice. It had a k tuned short shifter box which was making mine feel worse, so I've gone back to a oem shifter box. It seriously puts me off the car tbh, as my ep3 box was perfect and so smooth! so was expecting the same from the teg. Just a shame a gear box rebuild is soooo expensive

Justin
Yeah I know what you mean, i'm tempted to do a couple of little upgrades like the bushes and spring just to see if it makes a difference. They definitely should have made it a smoother box, lets the car down slightly like you say it can be off putting.

Jinis dust

Advanced Member
Worth a try I suppose, but I think a gearbox spruce up is the only way really.

Where abouts in Derbyshire?! I'm not far at all from there.

Justin