Getting DC5 on Friday!! Few questions...

david.smith

Hey folks,

My DC5 is being trucked up to me this Thursday, arriving Friday...BIG GRIN!! :D

Few questions I need to ask which I mucho appriciate any feedback to!

Can some recommend a good aftermarket airbox and also a good aftermarket exhaust system?

Also...

How much would I be talking for a good set of coilovers, and what's the best manufacturer?

What are they like to drive? I hear they're a fantastic drivers car, but what the power delivery like? Mid range? etc...

Regards

Dave

AndyBITR

Advanced Member
Way hay, another DC5 for the Scottish Camp!! :D Give us a shout when u get it as I go to a lot of meets with Type-R Scotland. :D

I picked mine up on the 2nd January, and have been well impressed. I used to have a 215BHP DC2 ITR, and it was pretty quick, but the DC5 definitely feels the quicker car, with more torque available quite low down too. It really depends on what car u have had before to compare it to, ie if u had a snarling Turbo Charged Beast with near 300BHP, and 300lb/ft, then wave bye bye to the wave of Torque you'll be used to, and welcome to the world of high revving VTEC action. :twisted: :xvtec: Which is an altogether more race car like experience.

I would go with Spoon, Mugen, or TODA for tuning parts, but I think other people may be better placed to suggest mods as I have only owned the beast for a few days.

DC51VTC

Advanced Member
Hi David,

Welcome to the wonderful world of v-tegging!

With regard to your questions about mods, there has been a lot of discussion on the forum about the pros and cons of various intake and exhaust options. The consensus seems to be pay a little more for the Japanese-manufactured items and get a lot better quality and results. Others will offer a lot more specific advice but it appears that, once you enter this bracket, you pays your money and takes your choice. Similar with suspension mods, it would appear.

What I don't understand, however, is why you would be looking at modding your new car before you've even driven it! Perhaps it's just me but I would recommend running it as standard for a little while at least - You never know, you just might be happy with it as it comes out of the box!

Kev

Im new and addicted

Im not far from you and have had my itr 6mths. It came with a quaiffe lsd, skunk 2 lowered adj coilovers end a spoon exhaust. so i dont know what its like without them but the handling is impecable. My front tyres are shod and it still refuses to slide unless i lift off in full lock. Getting new tyres next week and i cant wait to comit to a few roundabouts at silly speeds!! As for the exhaust its not too big and its a smoth note but no good for motorway travel. Seems to rev freely anway. Best of luck wi the car.

AndyBITR

Advanced Member
Kev, ur's isn't perchance a White one that I might have seen near Irvine?? :?:

I saw the one I mentioned above back in August when I was on my way back from Strathclyde Auto Clinic with my JDM DC2, saw it before turning onto the A77, so went right the way round the roundabout and back along the A71 to get a better look at it!! :roll: Sad...I know, but I just had to!!

Kev

It was me!

Hi Andy, it was me you saw, I was wife my wife that day and couldnt put the boot down " I was deperate to". You know what women r like!!! I remember you followed me down the by pass. Next time I will stop and we can talk type R and all things Honda.

AndyBITR

Advanced Member
Heh heh, at the time, my DC2 was running at 215BHP with filter exhaust & Unichip, but TBH I have found the DC5 feels quicker than my modified DC2!

I did notice u were with the missus, wasn't too bothered u were't for putting the boot down coz I was more interested in having a look as it was the 1st one I had seen in the flesh! 8)

Henry has moved job up to Dastek in Dalgey Bay, so will prob not be down that way too often, unless I end up stationed at Hunterston in which case it'll be EVERY day! :?

Kev

Whats your dc5 like? Year, colour etc? Where did u get it from. I flew down to london to get mine from an importer. Mines is a 2002 51 plate with 11k miles, delimited with spoon exhaust and skunk 2 susp. What do you think they are worth???

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
Exhaust and other bits wont make much diff on price (in Japan, they sell only for a few £100 more than standard cars)

So, I would say about £16K, but depends on spec level !

Mike

AndyBITR

Advanced Member
I've got a Black 51 Plate DC5, without C-Pack options with 16k miles on it. I'm pretty sure its been lowered, and it also has an aftermarket exhaust fitted, although I couldn't say exactly what till I get under the beast.

I paid £15k for it, so sounds about right.